Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #379
renderinfo
R6P Member

Drives: Camaro 5th Gen
I have a different perspective on all this. If you are a proud owner of an SS, and you happen to be LUCKY ENOUGH to get an early production release version, with a low VIN number, and the calipers with weights, and you leave the callipers alone...

You have a collector's item!!!! From the factory, a bona-fide "one of the first to be produced" SS Camaro!!! Assumiing everything works "as advertised", and you maintain this car immaculately, in 10+ years, your car will BE UNIQUE. Unique even among camaros. It already looks and drives awesome, the reviews bear that out. Whether or not this car is super popular, or not produced in a few years, having an ORIGINAL SS CAMARO with weights over the calipers makes your car special! I gotta believe that "later fixed versions" of the camaro just won't be as special to those core Camaro enthusiasts or collectors. I hope some people are smart enough to not mess with this, and you will truly have a rare excellent car...

Just my two cents...

Last edited by renderinfo; 04-24-2009 at 09:36 AM.
renderinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #380
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
So does anybody know if they are going to replace the calipers that have these? or are we supposed to live with them like this forever?
We haven't heard yet how GM is going to remedy the early calipers that needed the weights, nor do we know what serial numbers are affected.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #381
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderinfo View Post
I have a different perspective on all this. If you are a proud owner of an SS, and you happen to be LUCKY ENOUGH to get an early production release version, with a low VIN number, and the calipers with weights, and you leave the callipers alone...

You have a collector's item!!!! From the factory, a bona-fide "one of the first to be produced" SS Camaro!!! Assumiing everything works "as advertised", and you maintain this car immaculately, in 10+ years, your car will BE UNIQUE. Unique even among camaros. It already looks and drives awesome, the reviews bear that out. Whether or not this car is super popular, or not produced in a few years, having an ORIGINAL SS CAMARO with weights over the calipers makes your car special! I gotta beleive that "later fixed versions" of the camaro just won't be as special to those core Camaro enthusiasts or collectors. I hope some people are smart enough to not mess with this, and you will truly have a rare excellent car...

Just my two cents...
IMHO it's a very minor issue and I'll take mine with/without the weights, just make sure my stripes are applied correctly
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #382
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Just a reminder.....

Quote:
We have learned some early Camaro customers have noticed that there are weights on the Camaro SS calipers. With high-performance vehicles like the Camaro SS, minor brake noise is not uncommon. The weights act as a damper to reduce noise in certain driving conditions. This was done after careful evaluation and validation by our engineering team. These weights will only be added to early builds of the Camaro SS.

Thanks,
John Fitzpatrick
Stress the bold I added, please...

This should settle everything, and clear up any concerns.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #383
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post
IMHO it's a very minor issue and I'll take mine with/without the weights, just make sure my stripes are applied correctly

Right, cause people can SEE the stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What makes everyone so sure they're going to fall off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
PURE SPECULATION You're guessing on what the material "appears to be" and how it is applied.....They are Engineers, do you know an engineer that will say "just stick some ordinary wheel wieghts on there" without checking it out? I work with a bunch of them, it's like pulling teeth to get their approval on anything, "they have to run some numbers' and "do a little research first".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Maybe I missed it. So I'll ask again. Does anyone know the vin at which
these are not being used.
Kdbolt70 said his doesn't have them on the calipers. Don't know his vin but maybe it's high enough for the fix.

Here is his post:

kdbolt70I just wanted to point out, I checked my brembo's, and as far as I can tell, I DO NOT have weights. It was late in the evening so the lighting wasn't the best, I'll post up when I get a chance to check out for sure, and maybe get some pics.

Are you sure it really matters. I mean this guy couldn't even tell. Sure it was getting dark but jees.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #384
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderinfo View Post

You have a collector's item!!!! From the factory, a bona-fide "one of the first to be produced" SS Camaro!!! Assumiing everything works "as advertised", and you maintain this car immaculately, in 10+ years, your car will BE UNIQUE. Unique even among camaros. It already looks and drives awesome, the reviews bear that out. Whether or not this car is super popular, or not produced in a few years, having an ORIGINAL SS CAMARO with weights over the calipers makes your car special! I gotta believe that "later fixed versions" of the camaro just won't be as special to those core Camaro enthusiasts or collectors. I hope some people are smart enough to not mess with this, and you will truly have a rare excellent car...

Just my two cents...
While anything can happen, I highly doubt the collectibility of the Gen5 Camaro and certianly not in as few as 10 years. More like 20 or 30, at a minimum.

I'm glad to see GM admit there was an issue and they are working to correct
it versus remaining silent on the subject. In the end, as long as the car manages to stop effectively, I don't see it as a big deal anyway. Much ado about nothing.

Last edited by garagelogic; 04-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #385
mmarcum

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
We have learned some early Camaro customers have noticed that there are weights on the Camaro SS calipers. With high-performance vehicles like the Camaro SS, minor brake noise is not uncommon. The weights act as a damper to reduce noise in certain driving conditions. This was done after careful evaluation and validation by our engineering team. These weights will only be added to early builds of the Camaro SS.

Thanks,
John Fitzpatrick

So I take it this means the early builds with the weighted calipers will not be fixed by GM?

Event code 1100 on 1/24
Event code 3000 on 3/24
Event code 3400 on 4/27
Back to event code 3000 on 5/1
Event code 3800 on 5/5
Event code 4B00 on 5/5
Event code 4200 on 5/22
Event code 6000 on 6/3!

VIN# 2G1FT1EW6A9107395
mmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #386
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Glad this is cleared up!
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #387
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Just a reminder.....

Stress the bold I added, please...

This should settle everything, and clear up any concerns.
It leaves off a lot of blanks though as it doesn't mention whether or not they will or will not replace them. Also what is the strength level of the glue and has it been tested at all for any length of time on any of the CTS or pre-pro vehicles? I think these are fair and important questions that have to be answered by GM..
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #388
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Also what is the strength level of the glue and has it been tested at all for any length of time on any of the CTS or pre-pro vehicles?
Glue is not rocket science...but if it makes you feel any better, in the event that the glue fails the weights will fall off and then you won't have those weights that you wish you didn't have.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #389
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcum View Post
So I take it this means the early builds with the weighted calipers will not be fixed by GM?
I don't think so...because the weights were the fix. All they do is reduce vibration-noises, though -- it's not like it's a critical part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
It leaves off a lot of blanks though as it doesn't mention whether....what is the strength level of the glue and has it been tested at all for any length of time on any of the CTS or pre-pro vehicles? I think these are fair and important questions that have to be answered by GM..
They did answer the mechanical questions....that's why I stressed the bold. They have been tested and validated by the engineering team. From there, it becomes a matter of trust on our part. Trust that they attached them properly. I for one, do.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #390
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You guys need to take a chill pill.

As was posted above, the engineers evaluated the issue and came up with a fix. So the fix is a weight glued on? So what? Suddenly, everyone here is an adhesives engineer and can identify any adhesive by looking at a photograph of it?

Adhesives these days are used everywhere in cars, even in the structural members of cars. I bet there's a lot of pieces held on the Camaro by adhesives alone...

In fact, are not the brake pads glued to the metal backing plates on all cars these days? How come I don't see anyone flipping out about how "dangerous" this is?

How many other things can fall off or fly off and hurt someone? How about the side windows? Are they glued in? How come nobody is complaining about every other glued on piece and demanding an upgrade? Do we have faith in engineers design choices only selectively?

This is par for the course with a new model. Everyone should know this by now.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #391
urugm21
So Cal Chevy Invasion

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS
true that my friend true that its a sick ass car and thats what matters!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #392
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
....except..... now it is public knowledge that GM fixes brake noise by sticking wheel weights on brake calipers.... Brembo brake calipers...
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote