Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
What's the secret to clean wheel wells?

I've tried everything...tire foam...armor all...Restore Black...all get dirty and faded looking so quick.

I was thinking about taking wheels off, and painting a gloss black...would that be ok?

My car is so polished and clean, it reminds me of a girl dressed up for Prom wearing dirty flip flops!! Any suggestions??
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I don't like to use anything on them, other than just soap and water. Everything else I've tried is greasy looking and a dust magnet.

I just get in there and make sure they're scrubbed down every wash, and I never have a problem. Of course, my car is lowered, so there isn't much gap there to see the wells anyway.

If I were you, I'd just get them nice and clean, leave them alone, and then if you need to, get an old rag and some waterless wash or detail spray and just wipe them down between washes.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
The roads in PA are filthy, just a quick spin around the block and the entire car has a film of dust, especially around the lower fenders and behind the wheels. I put just a little bit of water based tire shine/protectant on a towel and wipe down the inside of the wheel wells, but theres really nothing that's gonna keep them clean for very long. What I hate are the tiny nicks and "texturing" the plastic liners get in them from stones and road debris, especially down at the very bottom edges. no matter how clean they are they are never as smooth as they were when new. I do my best to keep my car looking spotless, but I guess if you're gonna drive em they can't stay absolutely perfect all the time.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Might try Adam's Undercarriage Spray. Makes them slick, black and dry. Not greasy at all. After they've been treated they hose off real easily.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I'm with CamaroDreams. I use soap and water for every wash. Can't stand dirty wheel wells. Every month I'll put on UTTG to darken them up, but otherwise soap and water does just fine. I can't get all of them, though, 'cause my car is dropped with the BMR 1.4"
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Might try Adam's Undercarriage Spray. Makes them slick, black and dry. Not greasy at all. After they've been treated they hose off real easily.
Somebody needs to post a video tutorial on this stuff for me. I keep hearing rave reviews about it, and I've tried it many times, but I can't get it to do anything but look like a greasy mess. I'd like to think I generally know what I'm doing with this sort of thing, but I cannot get the results with that particular product.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Somebody needs to post a video tutorial on this stuff for me. I keep hearing rave reviews about it, and I've tried it many times, but I can't get it to do anything but look like a greasy mess. I'd like to think I generally know what I'm doing with this sort of thing, but I cannot get the results with that particular product.
x2.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
I can't help you out with a vid but I just wash my wheel wells real well w/ All-Purpose cleaner and a brush. Rinse well. Wash, dry and do whatever else I need to do to the rest of the car. One of my last steps is to pull the car out of the garage onto the grass and spray some Undercarriage spray on the wheel wells. I don't do it in the garage or on the concrete because it drips and makes a mess. After a few minutes it stops dripping and dries. After it dries it still looks very black but is not greasy at all..

I don't apply with every wash since it seams to last a while and the wheel wells come clean by just hitting them with a hose.

Works well for me and couldn't be simpler.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
Quote:
I had the same problem as well. Last weekend I sprayed a foam block and applied it and looked great without the runny mess.
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
This happens to me then after it dries for awhile, day or two it does look perfect. I have been getting better at it, so it is starting to turn out better. On textured wheel wells it looks mint instantly.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I don't drive in the rain. That keeps mine dinner plate clean.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
chalkupanother1, I'm with CamaroDreams07, all that is needed to soap and water adn a good brush. I have competed in ISCA (International Show Car Association) car shows, one of the things that they actually check and either give or take away points for are the wheelwells. Even in that enviorment, I have never lost a single point.....and all I ever do to totally show prep my car is to take each wheel off one and a time, use a general purpose clearner like Simple Green, them scrub the wheel well with a stiff bristle brush, rinse it off good, and wipe it down with a clean towel....and I do that untill you get NOTHING on the towel, sometimes it takes two applications, just depends on how dirty my car is, but usually ust one.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
I use Adams undercarriage spray as a precleaner when I do my normal wash, I spray it liberally on all surfaces in the wheel wells and let it dwell while doing the rest of my wash, then wash with an old wash mitt and the left over car wash that’s left in the bucket then rinse thoroughly . My Camaro isn’t lowered so I’m able to get my arm in and reach most places. It keeps my wheel wells and all the suspension parts (springs, control arms, struts etc.) looking showroom new and it’s not greasy feeling. A couple of times a year I’ll remove the wheels and detail under there a bit better and also have the opportunity to clean the back side of the wheels and tires. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt that rinses out when you hose it off for your final rinse even with normal fair weather driving. Give this a try, I think you will be pleased with the results.

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Another vote for just some simple green, soap and water.

I spray simple green in the wheels and let it sit for about 2 minutes. After I hose it off, it removes about 90% of the build up.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote