Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #113
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Vince has fixed the pre-apply and desired slip issue. You can now have full lockup at any vehicle speed any power setting with whatever psi you desire (seal capacity dependent). Any vehicle with the 6L80E will now have the option to run whatever converter they deem necessary. As an added bonus, once your TCM is flashed with the custom OS, you can overlay tuning software like HP and still retain the custom settings. What this means is you can buy the baddest converter Circle D makes, flash your TCM using Trifecta software, then re-flash your custom HP tune. Or you can simply have Vince tune your 6L80E all together your choice. Either option will be available through Trifecta performance or Circle D transmissions soon. Vince has been logging all weekend and I will start tomorrow.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #114
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
Vince has fixed the pre-apply and desired slip issue. You can now have full lockup at any vehicle speed any power setting with whatever psi you desire (seal capacity dependent). Any vehicle with the 6L80E will now have the option to run whatever converter they deem necessary. As an added bonus, once your TCM is flashed with the custom OS, you can overlay tuning software like HP and still retain the custom settings. What this means is you can buy the baddest converter Circle D makes, flash your TCM using Trifecta software, then re-flash your custom HP tune. Or you can simply have Vince tune your 6L80E all together your choice. Either option will be available through Trifecta performance or Circle D transmissions soon. Vince has been logging all weekend and I will start tomorrow.
Good Job Guys, Technology Moving Forward.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #115
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
just called and left message with them,

so what are our options to get this modified O/S??,, can he modify our (already modified) hpt file?
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #116
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
just called and left message with them,

so what are our options to get this modified O/S??,, can he modify our (already modified) hpt file?
Anyone interested in prolonging their converter's life should PM me.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #117
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
Nice... I spoke to Circle D yesterday and they mentioned getting a flash tune from Trifecta... I think this post explains it quite well... Thanks!

Edit: Circle D on order...

Last edited by mlee; 10-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #118
JANNETTYRACING

We have a New record on the books with the Protorque JRE spec converters, SuperchargedSS car went 10.19 et 130 mph.

We put 4.10 gears in the car and are heading to the F-Body Nationals At Island Dragway in Great Meadows NJ. on Saturday.

If all goes well we are looking for that elusive 9 second time slip.

Ted.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #119
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
We have a New record on the books with the Protorque JRE spec converters, SuperchargedSS car went 10.19 et 130 mph.

We put 4.10 gears in the car and are heading to the F-Body Nationals At Island Dragway in Great Meadows NJ. on Saturday.

If all goes well we are looking for that elusive 9 second time slip.

Ted.

AND...??? Did they follow up on this in another thread that I missed?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #120
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
AND...??? Did they follow up on this in another thread that I missed?
He was sick and could not make the event.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #121
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
He was sick and could not make the event.

Thanks for letting us know. Hope he feels better.

I'm getting ready to put in a cam and torque converter in my car and I'm following this thread and many others trying to learn about this stuff. Thanks for all the great information.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #122
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I wish I'm waiting and hoping to get Z28 If not, I'll have to try to put together my vision of Z28

While I'm not calling you out on your tuned 6L80 shifting faster than the GTR, it's my understanding the tranny in that car is a clutchless manual; I don't know that an auto' can shift faster than these trannies. I don't honestly know though...

As far as higher efficiency, it is kinda' relative. The SS3800 I had on my '02 was more efficient than the OEM converter; I gained about 2 MPH with only the converter change - and a lot on ET. A lot has to do with the stator and orientation of the fins/veins. Typically - a lot of the time, the higher stall speed you go, you can "loose" HP, but you can gain ET by keeping the engine in it's powerband more throughout the pass. You can aritificially lock the converter and get HP "back", but just because the dyno' shows a drop in HP doesn't mean the car won't go faster, by virtue of the other influences a high quality converter will add. For example: My car showed a nearly 50 RWHP drop when unlocking the converter. I still improved my MPH through the traps, so I really didn't loose any power. Another way to effectively gain HP is by going with a smaller/lighter converter. The OEM converter on my '02 was about 50 lbs. The Yank was just under 30 lbs.; it takes less HP to turn less weight, so I effectively got more HP. STR and shift extension can also influence performance at the track or on the street, too, and with good tuning, there is absolutely no reason a stalled A6 won't be able to at least keep up with the best M6 driver. I would almost guarantee one would be able to get a better 60' time than that M6 driver.
Great post! This info really tied together a lot of concepts that I've been learning and coming to understand lately.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #123
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Great post! This info really tied together a lot of concepts that I've been learning and coming to understand lately.
Thanks I'm hoping the concepts of what I was trying to say came across. I can go into many things a fair amount more, however, much the theory of what I've learned has come Yank's website, and I'm not sure it still has that stuff posted. I can tell you that my car, and my brother's car proved the theories of efficiency, STR, and shift extension quite well, IMO. Ultimately, his car was a touch faster because my car's tuning wasn't quite done, but even if I were able to finally get a good pass from it after the tuning was completed, I don't think it would've quite matched his car. He ran a 12.4 on a lid, catback, MT DRs, 3.73s, and a crapped canned tune. My car pulled a 12.5, hitting the limiter a few times on the 2-3 shift, running the same mods', with only a unfinished tranny tune, and OEM 3.23s. I think his car might have had a 12.2-.3 in it in the fall when it was nice, dry, and cold around here, because that 12.4 was in the summer in 90* temps. Mine was in the summer, too, but I'll never know what she would've run

I don't know if the Gen 5s are going to benefit, as much, from the converters, as the 4-speed tranny guys. My guess is the gear spacing is the biggest factor, and the spread on the 4-speed trannies was really long, especially on the 1-2. I know it's a little long on the 6L80s, but I don't really think it's as great as the 4L60s. The overall ratios are shorter on the 6L's, too, to my understanding, so, again, I just don't know if the gains are going to be quite as much. Also, it seems like many of the trannies I've watched in videos converters are locking up during the run. I know ours didn't lock - we were always running unlocked, which made me that much more of a believer in the converter's efficiency.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #124
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Ted has his info right on on the TC. As a fellow drag racer your combo is not worth a dang w/out the right TC.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #125
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Thanks I'm hoping the concepts of what I was trying to say came across. I can go into many things a fair amount more, however, much the theory of what I've learned has come Yank's website, and I'm not sure it still has that stuff posted. I can tell you that my car, and my brother's car proved the theories of efficiency, STR, and shift extension quite well, IMO. Ultimately, his car was a touch faster because my car's tuning wasn't quite done, but even if I were able to finally get a good pass from it after the tuning was completed, I don't think it would've quite matched his car. He ran a 12.4 on a lid, catback, MT DRs, 3.73s, and a crapped canned tune. My car pulled a 12.5, hitting the limiter a few times on the 2-3 shift, running the same mods', with only a unfinished tranny tune, and OEM 3.23s. I think his car might have had a 12.2-.3 in it in the fall when it was nice, dry, and cold around here, because that 12.4 was in the summer in 90* temps. Mine was in the summer, too, but I'll never know what she would've run

I don't know if the Gen 5s are going to benefit, as much, from the converters, as the 4-speed tranny guys. My guess is the gear spacing is the biggest factor, and the spread on the 4-speed trannies was really long, especially on the 1-2. I know it's a little long on the 6L80s, but I don't really think it's as great as the 4L60s. The overall ratios are shorter on the 6L's, too, to my understanding, so, again, I just don't know if the gains are going to be quite as much. Also, it seems like many of the trannies I've watched in videos converters are locking up during the run. I know ours didn't lock - we were always running unlocked, which made me that much more of a believer in the converter's efficiency.
I've gained .5 with a 3500 stall unlocked. I still see too low of an RPM after shift completion so the next converter will be a looser 4000 stall. My goal is to see no more than a 1000 RPM drop after the shift. My tuning strategy with a custom converter will have the 4K converter feeling more like a 2500K for part throttle driving. Currently my 3500K feels really nice with the tune I'm running. The converter is built with special friction material designed for continuous slip (just like stock) so I apply it with a min psi value at 10MPH while managing the slip with desired slip tables. I don't fully lock it until 35MPH which makes for great drivability and pretty darn good fuel economy for my stall.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #126
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I read most of this thread. I am thinking of getting a stall for my 2011 A6. I had a 3500 stall on my 01 D/D and I loved it. It make it more fun to drive IMO.

I just wished I could replace it myself in my garage.

My advice to anyone is to get one. You will not regret it. You will need to get a tune or at least I had to tune mine on the 2001 Camaro.

Good luck.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote