Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #29
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with my paint?
Nope- My '10 SW Camaro is still chip free after 28,000 miles. I've taken many trips including
So Florida, Canada, Indy, etc and no paint chips.
My windshield looks like its been sandblasted, but overall the car still looks new when detailed.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #30
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
My 03 Mustang which i owned for 6 years and used 06 Charger which I owned for 2 years held up a lot better than this camaro which I've owned for just over 2.I was wondering what people were talking about when I first got it and checked the threads on here.Now I know.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #31
Zorns

Drives: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer2 View Post
Getting mine done Sat!!

Sent from the fast lane!
How did your Opticoat turn out?
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #32
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Today IS Friday right?
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
paint sucks. gills take most of the chips and I have a nasty one on the hood. Terrible. The heck is opti coat and how do I get it done? and how much?
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #34
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
I've had a positive experience with Chevrolet black paint. Traded a black 2011 Equinox for the Camaro. Equinox had 49k miles on it after 14 months with no paint chips and no orange peel.
My SS has 24k miles and 15 months on the road, no orange peel, but one tiny chip on the hood caused by a chrome, metal object (18 wheeler lug bolt?) which left a small dent at impact point and a cracked windshield; no other chips on the car. I do stay back from other vehicles or pass them, and avoid gravel patches on the road. Use Zaino Z5 Pro on both cars, don't think it helps mitigate chips but who knows?
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I had the same thing. Let hubby go buy groceries in the Camaro and he dragged a bag of groceries across the paint under the trunk opening and I spent an hour buffing out the scratches. Point is, it shouldn't be that easy to screw up your paint.
Also, it's not a clear coat problem when the chips go down to primer. 31k of hiway miles and my hips have freckles. I did clear bra the front but not the hips - wish I had.

I had a 65 mustank when I was 16 that had hip chips too, but it was because the previous owner chained up and left a few links flapping and slapped the crap out of that paint with chain.
Paint is the only complaint I have about the Camaro.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #36
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by aabreu09 View Post
I was actually going to post a thread regarding that, because the paint on our cars are so sensitive. If we go to a bodyshop and get it repainted, would it make a difference or what? Black cars cant possibly be this terrible -_-
I had mine repainted, finally got to say goodbye to the factory orange peel in the paint.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorns View Post
How did your Opticoat turn out?
I'll let you know tomorrow after its done!!
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #38
duh954boy

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
I thought I was the only one who was having issues with the Camaro paint. My quarter panels look like they were hit with buckshot a few times. I have only had the car a little over a month. I can't believe how crappy this paint is. I love my car but hate this paint.
duh954boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
Zorns

Drives: ?
My bad.....didn't pay attention to the date/time of your post.
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I had mine repainted, finally got to say goodbye to the factory orange peel in the paint.
I know prices will vary from shops, but how did that run you?

My only complaint about my car is the terrible paint. :( I hate getting close to wash it because I keep finding new chips everytime. My passenger side gills now have several chips.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
paint sucks. gills take most of the chips and I have a nasty one on the hood. Terrible. The heck is opti coat and how do I get it done? and how much?

Well its like a really hard clear coat doesn't scratch (within reason) and is very durable and chemical resistant also makes washing much easier since stuff doesn't stick to it to well.

As far as cost and who to apply it there are a few options. They have a DIY kit for like $70 and you have to sign a waiver to purchase it that way if you screw it up you can't blame them. Another option is you can have someone apply it for you. I think they have a list of authorized installers on thier website but I can't get it to come up at work. Obviously each person is going to charge a diffrent amount to do it so it depends. I'm getting mine done for around $400.
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #42
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
Lucky, mine is also a daily driver and only 2 months old - there are already 4 freaking rock chips. I bought a package of Dr. Colorchip to hopefully make them look acceptable.

I didn't really want a Clear Bra on black, plus the good quality clear bra is very $$ and adds nothing to the value of the car when you resell it - that said, I regret not getting one this time..

Also, the black paint swirls like crazy - only clean microfiber towels touch my car and I use an Adam's polish mit to wash the car with lots of suds from Adam's car wash, yet my car is already full of very light swirl marks (only visible in direct sunlight at certain angles). I wonder how many of the swirls were the result of dealer car washes.....
The clear bra does add value at trade in since your paint will be flawless.
mine stops EVERYTHING. and is lifetime warranty so anything goes wrong he changes it.
it's already paid for itself.
try getting an estimate from a GOOD body shop to repaint the front bumper and mirrors. will be FAR more than a good clear bra install.
and a GOOD install especially if you have it Opticoated over you will barely be able to see it.
most people completely miss mine until they look super close.
Love bugs literally wipe off.. rocks from semis never make it to the paint. a very worthwhile investment on a new car with no damage.

And yes the dealer is most likely who trashed your paint with swirls.
even Ferraris need a full paint correction from the factory.

I just had mine full corrected and it is a stunner now. Opticoated over the top and it will stay perfect till I remove it.
No more wax no more swirls and no more crappy thin clear coat.
well worth the 500 bucks for correction and Opticoat. especially on a DD.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote