Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #43
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensphan87 View Post
Anyone seen a price for the 650hp mustang?

I think GM should just make it E Z'er to up the horses on my 2SS
with a factor aurtherized upfit.

If they are going to make a Z28 only make 1000. Put an LS9 in them nuff said.

Refer to post 36
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #44
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Anyone seen a price for the 650hp mustang?

I think GM should just make it E Z'er to up the horses on my 2SS
with a factor aurtherized upfit.

If they are going to make a Z28 only make 1000. Put an LS9 in them nuff said.
Don't think LS9 would happen. And why only 1,000?? Don't want your 2SS to be only third best??
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
Don't care what place my car comes in your opinion. Only making 1000 makes them rare!

Not to mention how many GT 500s will be made?

Plus you could use the press releases to launch the new GM performance packages.

We all know, we can take our cars to Nicky or Hennessey and have engine upgrades done.
The issue here is the "FORD GT500" can GM make a pony car equal to it?

ANSWER: yes if they want too. . . Horsepower isn't the only question - it is a GT500

What is GMs answer?

To stay in line with current 5gen philosophy just make the 2013 ZL1 666 horsepower
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #46
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
2013 ZL1's will not see a power increase. and I think you've missed the point of the Z28.

no need to limit it to 1000. I'm sure the Z28 wouldn't be ordered as much as the ZL1 and the SS.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #47
wildpaws

Quote:
Don't care what place my car comes in your opinion. Only making 1000 makes them rare!

Not to mention how many GT 500s will be made?

Plus you could use the press releases to launch the new GM performance packages.

We all know, we can take our cars to Nicky or Hennessey and have engine upgrades done.
The issue here is the "FORD GT500" can GM make a pony car equal to it?

ANSWER: yes if they want too. . . Horsepower isn't the only question - it is a GT500

What is GMs answer?

To stay in line with current 5gen philosophy just make the 2013 ZL1 666 horsepower
And we would want to make it rare because?? Certainly in the past Z/28s have never been "rare", what would be the point for GM or consumers, a solid, stable performance platform is what the Z/28 is about, not rare, overpriced or simply a HP champ.
Clyde
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #48
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
GM has touted the ZL1 as the "Most" Camaro.
"To date" that is.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
BTW, my "500 or so" number, above, refers to "naturally aspirated Clydesdales", not "quantity required"...

Build numbers? 5,000+ is our best guesstimate...100/State would be a good start, as far as delivering a "worthy message" to those Doubting Thomases faithful to other Brands...

As to "attendance" on this Section, you will see the numbers swell when the announcement comes, so pull up a comfy chair and rest a spell...not too much longer now...

Besides, the quiet is a welcome respite from the general dim, elsewhere, what with all manner of voices heard on all manner of angst and worry...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #50
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
here's to hoping they swap things out for crome moly that are steel. little bit lighter and stronger.
Chromoly???

The Camaro already uses a lot of high strength steel in it's construction.

Chromoly steel wouldn't be used to replace body panels in a conventional sense. Unless you are proposing removing all the current structure and building it around a space frame or roll cage.......................hmmmmmmmmm is that where you are going??? I can work with that.

Also keep in mind that high strength steels are progressively harder to stamp meaning they don't lend themselves to exterior panels, mainly structure.

Camaro is heavy because it's big, not because GM cheaped out on low mass materials i.e. high strength steels.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #51
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Chromoly???

Chromoly steel wouldn't be used to replace body panels in a conventional sense. Unless you are proposing removing all the current structure and building it around a space frame or roll cage.......................hmmmmmmmmm is that where you are going??? I can work with that.

Also keep in mind that high strength steels are progressively harder to stamp meaning they don't lend themselves to exterior panels, mainly structure.

Camaro is heavy because it's big, not because GM cheaped out on low mass materials i.e. high strength steels.
Number 3, I would agree, heavy because it's big and that mostly can't be changed with the current architecture without resorting to radical changes that equal too much cost. I think if they keep it down around 3,850 and use around 500HP they can build a very respectable Z/28 for the 5th gen. A 6th gen version will be the really lighter one and I see a need for a current gen. model Z/28.
Clyde
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #52
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Chromoly???

who said body panels? lol more referring to suspension and frame peices.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #53
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
who said body panels? lol more referring to suspension and frame peices.
There really is no frame on the Camaro. It is BFI or Body Frame Integral construction. So what is frame is basically stamped panels in the underbody. And in this area there is quite a bit of high strength (read ligher weight) steel used on most modern cars.

Chassis is either stamped steel or aluminium castings. The Corvette has the aluminium. Camaro I believe relys on stamped steel. You could convert those to chromoly tubes which might reduce weight, but I think I'd just jump to aluminium.

But you could use Chromoly tube for upper and lower control arms.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #54
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
There really is no frame on the Camaro. It is BFI or Body Frame Integral construction. So what is frame is basically stamped panels in the underbody. And in this area there is quite a bit of high strength (read ligher weight) steel used on most modern cars.

Chassis is either stamped steel or aluminium castings. The Corvette has the aluminium. Camaro I believe relys on stamped steel. You could convert those to chromoly tubes which might reduce weight, but I think I'd just jump to aluminium.

But you could use Chromoly tube for upper and lower control arms.
How much weight would these control arms save at each corner?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #55
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
How much weight would these control arms save at each corner?
I am guessing but maybe 20 pounds per corner but that is only a guess. Did I mention that was a guess?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
General Lee

Drives: 1SS
Just wondering why we are talking about Z/28's when GM is not planning on making one?
Are we just dreaming and wishing?
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
where's our z/28??