Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Wait a minute, GM would risk absolutely NOTHING in making this. How do you figure that? They warrantied the Z/28 and its PURPOSE BUILT! No one here wants a purpose built SS427, They just want the SS to have a 427 in it. Though I do understand the OP was specifying a Ford burner getting 11.5 in the qrtr which to my knowledge requires a roll cage? Not sure but I think so unless its 11.4 that is does. I forget. I as well as others would enjoy owning an SS427 that is not purpose built. Just an optioned car. The "purpose" would be whatever the hell you want to do with it from there. Doesnt have to have purpose behind it. And if you put a 427 in an SS, the price would be around $45-48k. Everything else stays the same in the car. No suspension upgrades or anything more as an SS is VERY well capable of handling a 427.

This gen will be it for High performance other than the LT1 being in SS models though that wont last very long without FI bein introduced to get the same numbers we're getting NA.
You really think its as easy as just bolting in another motor and charging a few dollars more???

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I'm just gonna throw this out there...

Everybody wants a "Street Brawler" that will "smoke any Ford", yet you want GM to custom build it and warranty your activities? 99% of the folks that had such cars in the good ole days shoe-horned their own big block into a Camaro, and the other 1% paid big bucks (for the times) to get theirs and rarely got a warranty. You're asking GM to assume the risk for what you want to do with this car. Asking GM to invest millions into research to produce another reliable, safe, purpose-built, high performance street car that will only sell a few hundred units, will not only jack up the price of that car, but the rest of the line up as well. You say a lot of people would buy it, but it would still be priced out of reach for most of the folks that really want it. In the automobile world, less is more and more is more.

Less weight = more cost. More power = more cost + weight.

You want a lightened 1SS with a 427? Build it! It would be an amazing car, and something you'd be much more proud to own. Everything you need is already available off-the-shelf. Standing behind your own product goes a lot further than running to the Service Dept.

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here. I've built 2 street rods, and several sand rails back when I had time and money (read: unmarried and no kids). I would have any one of those vehicles again over anything I could drive off the lot at the time. Would I like to see more purpose built Camaros? Yes, but I don't think they will come off the assembly line. Given the economy and the current corporate environment, I'm amazed GM (and the other two) are able to get these cars to the street at all! Now is a great time to be a gearhead! Take advantage of it!
I have to agree.

We have the 1LE, we have the ZL1, and now there is the Z/28. What more do you people want from GM?? The OP asks for a stripped down SS with a 427 that does AT LEAST 11.6 in the 1/4.

Then you have another person asking for just a regular SS with a 427.....which will still get spanked by a modified Mustang GT at the strip.

You guys just need to buy a used SS and build it into whatever you want it to be. Stop asking GM to build expensive Camaros that won't sell worth a hoot.

If the 5th gen camaro was lighter, like the 6th gen will be, there would be no need for Z/28, as the heavy as hell ZL1 is already pretty kick butt on a track. Imagine if it lost 300 - 400 lbs how awesome it would be.

All we need is the base Camaro, the V8, and then the top of the line forced induction Camaro. Having a track pack for the V8 is a good thing, and we have that (1LE). Anything beyond that is a gift (thank you for the Z/28!)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3141 View Post
I think the point here is that we would like GM to give us the ability to add/delete items like in the early days. Give us more engine options that just a V6 or V8 of predetermined size.

It would be fantastic to go to a dealer and order a camaro from an "a-la-carte" option list.
think fbodfather answer that. Not sure but saying its not as easy as it was in the early days.
That would be awesome though and all these would be great to me but you got to think of how and the effects of everything is done, way more to it then we know. If it was that easy well damn why not a 454 option or like I said a turbo/supercharge in the 1ss as option with the option to stay N/A.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
You really think its as easy as just bolting in another motor and charging a few dollars more???
The research was made on the cars already and what theyre capable of handling. No, its not just bolting an engine in nowadays. SLP "drops" 427s in camaros for around $10000 over MSRP with a mirrored factory warranty. So what else is there?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
I posted a question like this. MANY ppl would buy this without a blink or thought. There's only 1 small problem. CAFE. You'd have to make your other automobiles get much better gas mileage to compensate for the loss in avg mpgs throught the wntire fleet of autos. Is this possible? No doubt! Will they do it? Probably not.

I dont think a 1 or 2SS with the 427 option would skew the CAFE standards too much.

Just an opinion. If I understand it correctly CAFE is spread out among the fleet - so a handful more 427s or LSAs wouldn't move the mark that much compared to the LS3.

At 40-50k a SS427 would have been a home run. Oh well.

Can always buy a 1SS and swap in the 454 LSX
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Go buy SLP whats the problem
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I agree. the 2014 Z28 is a terrible idea. Overpriced, super niche market. Just make a beastmode 1SS with this engine option for a reasonable price and there you have it.

They would sell a ton.

The ONLY thing I can think of is, that since the LS7 is gonna be retired just like the C6 vette, they only had a certain amount of engines on hand, and didnt want to make anymore.

So they jack up the price and essentially make it a limited edition.
Terrible idea - not entirely but with the 1LE and ZL1 it did make me scratch my head as to why another "track" car.

LS7 along with all other LS engines are done. Probably still be able to get crate engines from GM but for production built cars it is winding down.

Finally Z/28s will probably be garage queens. Sure there will be those track guys who buy them and actually race the things but I bet they sell about 4000 Z/28s and 90% of them end up under a cover in a garage to sell in 30 years

If you had to have the real collector Camaro - it is the COPO. Only 69 of them. Those will be the sought after Camaros in the future from this generation.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
think fbodfather answer that. Not sure but saying its not as easy as it was in the early days.
That would be awesome though and all these would be great to me but you got to think of how and the effects of everything is done, way more to it then we know. If it was that easy well damn why not a 454 option or like I said a turbo/supercharge in the 1ss as option with the option to stay N/A.
Well im sure theres more to it, but when you order a car, say 2SS, doesnt it go on the same assembly line that 1SS goes on? And an order form could be presented to each department of what the needs are for the car according to the VIN. I mean, theyre all put together the SAME way. if there was a deleted option on it, the installer just wouldnt install it on the car according to the order form. Or if it was manual seats, you install manual rather than electric. In the line, the frames are made with engine supports at set places for v6 or LS3 or LSA. Im unsure if an additional calc has to be made for a 427, though Im sure if it was intended to have, all the necessary components would be in place for the engine and dry sump system.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #37
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I have read every single post and really appreciate the conversation. Thanks for reading my long story at the top. Keep them coming and I will still read every single item written here
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #38
Zedave

Drives: 2007 Z06, 2009 SRT Challenger
Quote:
Drop the ego trip please.
No ego trip here, simply stating that people who want to dig deep should be able to have something that everyone doesn't have, there are more Camaros out there then you can shake a stick at, keep the Z/28, 427 rare. A lot of us do not want what the same thing as everyone else
Currently in Stable, 1981 Z28, 2003 Corvette 50th Anniv. Edition, 2007 Ron Fellows Z06 #330, 2009 SRT Challenger
Zedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedave View Post
No ego trip here, simply stating that people who want to dig deep should be able to have something that everyone doesn't have, there are more Camaros out there then you can shake a stick at, keep the Z/28, 427 rare. A lot of us do not want what the same thing as everyone else
Then you want a an Audi, Lamborghini or something of that sort right? Those are rare. or a 1969 ZL-1! That's rare!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #40
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I mean limited or not, it would still be pricey, what do we think, $50,000? So that means I don't think they would sell a ton, certain people are priced in at V6's, others at SS, ZL1, and presumably the Z/28 is supposed to be more than $60,000. Simple supply and demand(Big L Big X for those in low level college macro econ) says that a car priced between the SS and the ZL1 would sell less than the ZL1 and more than the SS.

No I don't think any research has to be done. I'm not trying to prove a point that they shouldn't do this with this remark, but you certainly can convert an SS1 to this vehicle out of the GMPP catalog. 427 and guts from the tranny back from a ZL1, there you go. Problem is you've already paid for the motor and driveshaft and half shafts for the SS1.

Who knows, it possible here in a year or two I might shop for a '10 '11 SS that has a blown up motor and or trans for cheap. Get a project car instead of tearing up my ZL1, who knows.

So hypothetically does anyone know if you decided to get a big block and stick it in will it fit, instead of an LS motor. I'm sure someone has done it
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
Zedave

Drives: 2007 Z06, 2009 SRT Challenger
Quote:
Then you want a an Audi, Lamborghini or something of that sort right? Those are rare. or a 1969 ZL-1! That's rare!
I don't want that stuff, want a new Z/28.
Currently in Stable, 1981 Z28, 2003 Corvette 50th Anniv. Edition, 2007 Ron Fellows Z06 #330, 2009 SRT Challenger
Zedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #42
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3141 View Post
I think the point here is that we would like GM to give us the ability to add/delete items like in the early days. Give us more engine options that just a V6 or V8 of predetermined size.

It would be fantastic to go to a dealer and order a camaro from an "a-la-carte" option list.

You will never be able to order a Camaro or any car from Chevrolet from an "a-la-carte" option list. Foreign car makers learned a long time ago that it is much cheaper to only offer 3 or 4 packages for each car. If you wanted leather seats, you had to order the package that included leather seats or you did not get them. Chevy, Ford and Dodge saw this and learned from their mistake and now also offers everything in packages. This helps keep the cost down and helps keep Chevy competitive with Honda, Toyota and others.

I do agree the "a-la-carte" option list would be nice, but it will never happen.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 2014 ss, 427, drag race, z28