Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
it isnt a ricer if it can run those times.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
it isnt a ricer if it can run those times.
I'm with you
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Except that it is a Garret gt3076r turbo. So yes, 24psi is A LOT for that car. 14PSI from the stock turbo is NOT 14psi on the Garret. I'm actually surprised his motor is in one piece. From what I heard, those motors really can't handle too much more boost without problems.
Last I checked, the 14psi made by one turbo is the same 14psi made by any other turbo. It's 14psi no matter how you spin it. Now what matters is your air to fuel mix and what kinda bottom end you are running. I've seen the mazda 2.3 boosted up pretty high in previous models and they don't really have much trouble with the motor. The trans and cv shafts tend to shatter under excessive wheel hop but not generally the motor.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
Last I checked, the 14psi made by one turbo is the same 14psi made by any other turbo. It's 14psi no matter how you spin it. Now what matters is your air to fuel mix and what kinda bottom end you are running. I've seen the mazda 2.3 boosted up pretty high in previous models and they don't really have much trouble with the motor. The trans and cv shafts tend to shatter under excessive wheel hop but not generally the motor.

Volume.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Volume.
The turbo can only push as much air as the ducting would allow it to. The tubing in the Mazda is gonna be the determining factor here, not the turbo. And besides the duct work, the motor has a maximum flow that is also gonna limit the amount of volume that the engine can even use. That's where the waste gate comes in. It dumps the excess to the atmosphere. Poorly selected and tuned waste gates can blow engines actually more often than big turbos do. I don't see much issue with the car running on 24 psi of boost. If a non-forged Honda 1.6/1.8 can run over 35psi, I wouldnt worry too much about 24 in a larger, forged motor...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
they are bad about blocks not holding up, email cobb
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
The OP claims that he runs it daily. The question is how long it will hold at that pressure. I'm sure most motors can hit 50psi but for how many seconds? I highly doubt the OP's friend will have any issues with ducting especially with the way that it sounds it it's modded. The wastegate is moreso to regulate the amount of pressure built by the tubo so that you can prevent overboosting. Technically, the higher the PSI the more air you can cram into the cylinder regardless of how much the engine flows. There will always more air per cubic inch in relation to PSI.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
The OP claims that he runs it daily. The question is how long it will hold at that pressure. I'm sure most motors can hit 50psi but for how many seconds? I highly doubt the OP's friend will have any issues with ducting especially with the way that it sounds it it's modded. The wastegate is moreso to regulate the amount of pressure built by the tubo so that you can prevent overboosting. Technically, the higher the PSI the more air you can cram into the cylinder regardless of how much the engine flows. There will always more air per cubic inch in relation to PSI.
Yes but there is a point where flow is gonna hinder the amount of air you can cram into the engine. I've been out of the turbo game for awhile but eventually every engine hits the wall.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
his speed3 blew number 1 and 3 piston rods this morning
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
congrats! I guess? kind of messed up waiting for him to blow up his stuff, even if he drives a mazda.

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The turbo can only push as much air as the ducting would allow it to. The tubing in the Mazda is gonna be the determining factor here, not the turbo. And besides the duct work, the motor has a maximum flow that is also gonna limit the amount of volume that the engine can even use. That's where the waste gate comes in. It dumps the excess to the atmosphere. Poorly selected and tuned waste gates can blow engines actually more often than big turbos do. I don't see much issue with the car running on 24 psi of boost. If a non-forged Honda 1.6/1.8 can run over 35psi, I wouldnt worry too much about 24 in a larger, forged motor...
This is somewhat accurate, but misleading at the same time. Hot or cold side piping c an be a bottleneck, but a more efficient turbo will always be able to push more volume through the same ducting as a less efficient one. More efficient turbos increase charge air temperatures over ambient far less than smaller, less efficient turbos and thus will flow the same volume at lower boost pressures. With a proper intercooler, the right tune, and a reciprocating assembly that can handle the force, 28-30psi on a 3076r can be fine. As far as reaching "maximum flow" for the engine. . . that's a bit of a stretch for this example, he is most definitely limited by the strength of his motor, not the displacement. I have seen 2.0l I4s making over 600awhp in daily driven street cars and 500+ in 2.5l on multiple occasions. The wastegate bleeds excess exhaust to regulate boost in the turbo, it does not bleed intake air.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE2000 View Post
Lets hope he just turned up the boost for the strip.

no need to be driving around town at 24... 14 is pushing it on cast block, with no forged internals.
A cast block? Do you mean an aluminum block?
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
This is somewhat accurate, but misleading at the same time. Hot or cold side piping c an be a bottleneck, but a more efficient turbo will always be able to push more volume through the same ducting as a less efficient one. More efficient turbos increase charge air temperatures over ambient far less than smaller, less efficient turbos and thus will flow the same volume at lower boost pressures. With a proper intercooler, the right tune, and a reciprocating assembly that can handle the force, 28-30psi on a 3076r can be fine. As far as reaching "maximum flow" for the engine. . . that's a bit of a stretch for this example, he is most definitely limited by the strength of his motor, not the displacement. I have seen 2.0l I4s making over 600awhp in daily driven street cars and 500+ in 2.5l on multiple occasions. The wastegate bleeds excess exhaust to regulate boost in the turbo, it does not bleed intake air.
You need a Mitsubishi to run that kind of power reliably. In England they sell a stock-internal Evo X w/ 400 hp and a warranty. Just some bolt-ons and a tune.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
You need a Mitsubishi to run that kind of power reliably. In England they sell a stock-internal Evo X w/ 400 hp and a warranty. Just some bolt-ons and a tune.
I hope you are joking... Unless the 4G63 has been drastically change since 5 years ago...