Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #43
Gramps

Drives: 2011 1LT/RJT/Auto/
For those who have to deal with winter and have a daily driver, try using the "rinseless" washing technique (not to be confused with the waterless technique). It take only 2 gallons of water mixed with one ounce of a rinseless chemical which only 3 manufactures make. Do Google search on rinseless wash. It still requires the two bucket washing technique, but requires NO rinsing. The trick is having a washing soap-type mixture that makes no suds, but having the same lubrication and dirt lifting capability...and NO, its not detail spray. Guys have tried mixing different detail sprays with water to "make it on the cheap". Forget it. Buy the real stuff and mix it with water. 1oz mixed with 2 gallons of water. I'm not here to sell anything..so I pass this along to guys that want to be able to wash their cars in winter, or when conventional washing or waterless washing are not possible. It works..but requires good technique.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #44
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazzi1397 View Post
Thank you i just did a second round on the same area and i got another 5% improvement but not 100% yet...will keep trying
Excellent!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #45
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I don't like the concept of "rinseless" washes - Products like DP's Rinseless wash or Optimum No Rinse (ONR), are IMO gimmicks.

Use your common sense! If there is caked on dirt and road grime on the car, taking a sponge with some "magic product" across a dry non-rinsed clear coat surface is going to scratch and marr the crap out of your finish. I've seen a lot of "pro" detailers using these products destroying paint jobs. I don't care how much lubrication a product may offer - grinding dirt and grit into your paint is not a good idea. Of course the product will clean the area and look great in videos - but these products are bottled crap IMO. I have ONR the only thing I find it any good for is clay lube. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #46
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazzi1397 View Post
Thank you for the info and answers

The reason i went for the FMP even after i saw the minor remaining damage is that I heard that FMP can help take out some fine scratches that SHR left of course that turned out to be not true but im still learning . So what I have to do is keep going with the SHR until I have all the damage out, THEN use the FMP....will do that and will let you know how it goes.
You'll get there. You have the right mindset.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #47
ghazzi1397
Hail to the GENERAL

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You'll get there. You have the right mindset.
Thank you, good to hear that from a professional
(3800) Order produced [06/18/2010]
Available to ship from Osh [06/17/2010]
In-Transit from Osh [06/29/2010]
Available to ship from rail yard [07/08/2010]
Delivered [07/12/10]
ghazzi1397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #48
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Junkman pretty much covered it, also realize that PERFECTION is an endless process. The world hates cars, so if you intend to ever drive your vehicle and enjoy it 100% flawless might not be a reasonable thing to aim for. Every time it leaves the garage, every time you wipe it down, every time you wash, you run the risk of introducing some minor damage to the finish no matter how careful you are. Its just the name of the game...

Can perfection be attained? Absolutely. Is it realistic to maintain? Absolutely not.

90% is realistic... going for flawless all the time on a car you intend to use and enjoy is a long and winding journey into the deepest, darkest, part of insanity. Its fun to occasionally go for that 100% perfect finish, but once you realize how utterly infuriating it is to try and maintain that you can start to gauge where your reasonable level is.

Set your expectations at reasonable a level for how much time you're willing to invest not only in getting there, but maintaining it. Afterall, paint correction is only one aspect of detailing, maintaining your hard work is the biggest part of the battle.
I agree here. I am happy getting about 90% on certain panels. The average eye cannot even see most of these scratches. To get 100% would mean to leave my car in the garage from all Mother nature. I want to enjoy my car. If I can get most of the noticable scratches out, then I am happy. I did my roof finally last night, and dammit should of took before and after pics for you guys. The difference was just amazing!
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #49
Parkmad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Black/Orange Stripe
Remember me, the OP. Just kidding, it's good to read about everyone's experiences and the expert advice.

I have learned from just a small section that it's going to take a long time and I need to be patient. It took me over 5 hours just to do the hood and it's still not perfect. To even get it to that level I made about 3-4 passes per each smaller section with SHR.

Even at my current level I get a lot of comments and questions about how I wash my car and what products to use.

I aspire to have perfect paint and am willing to make the effort. That's my mantra anyway.

Now if only rocks and other drivers respected my paint as much as I do.
Parkmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #50
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

I like your mantra.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #51
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkmad View Post
Remember me, the OP. Just kidding, it's good to read about everyone's experiences and the expert advice.

I have learned from just a small section that it's going to take a long time and I need to be patient. It took me over 5 hours just to do the hood and it's still not perfect. To even get it to that level I made about 3-4 passes per each smaller section with SHR.

Even at my current level I get a lot of comments and questions about how I wash my car and what products to use.

I aspire to have perfect paint and am willing to make the effort. That's my mantra anyway.

Now if only rocks and other drivers respected my paint as much as I do.

Don't feel bad, have been doing the hood for weeks and it is still not perfect. After Dylan said you cannot hurt the clear coat even with hundreds of passes, I am going to keep going over until those scratches are gone.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #52
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
Don't feel bad, have been doing the hood for weeks and it is still not perfect. After Dylan said you cannot hurt the clear coat even with hundreds of passes, I am going to keep going over until those scratches are gone.
Keep in mind that the speed you move the polisher at is going to be key in the amount of passes you make. The faster you move the polisher, the less work it does and the more passes you have to make. The slower, the better.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #53
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Keep in mind that the speed you move the polisher at is going to be key in the amount of passes you make. The faster you move the polisher, the less work it does and the more passes you have to make. The slower, the better.
Yup, I have been trying to go over the areas slower, while applying a little pressure, so the polisher slows down just a little but not all the way of course.