Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
StormtrooperJun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Unhappy Legal question regarding my Camaro

Hey folks,

I'm caught in a weird predicament here and can use any advice . I'll try to make it concise...

I traded in my Corvette for my 2010 Camaro in September 2012 to a local Chevy dealer. It's been over 90 days and I didn't receive anything from the DMV. The tags expire in Jan 2013 so I contacted the DMV. They said my dealership paid the fees, but did not complete the application leaving it "pending."

I contact the dealer, and according to them, another dealership put the car into Auction where my dealership bought it, then in turn sold it to me. The other dealership did not have DMV form 262 completed and is having a hard time getting a hold of the original owner. My dealer said they can't move the application any further until that is done, but they would give me a statement that "would get me off the hook" if I got pulled over until they got the paperwork completed.

So I'm left with these questions: Would that really "get me off the hook?" Even if it did,, it wouldn't solve my problem of getting the car registered...would I have to turn it in back to the dealer if they can't get a hold of the previous owner? (A nice new Camaro with the same terms would be great!) What are my options?

If any of you guys have any insight into the matter, it would be greatly appreciated!

Jun

Last edited by StormtrooperJun; 01-08-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: grammar
StormtrooperJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Original dealer should have gotten a "power of Attorney" signed by the original owner for any title matters.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Go to the dealership and raise hell. They sold you a car you can't register. Kinda makes the car useless if you can't drive it.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Most states allow the dealer to give a secondary dealer tag if an state licensed one is not given in time. I wouldn't trust a"letter to get you off the hook", sounds like them trying to save face. If it gets worse, contact the DMV because sounds like the dealer messed up and did something against the rules.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...I say bad business on the part of the dealership....what they did would be the same thing that would allow them to sell stolen cars, it's not legal...call an attorney...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
StormtrooperJun

Update 1/11/13:

Surprise, surpise! The dealer called me this morning stating there was no "letter" they could give me to "get me off the hook" and that my windshield sticker will suffice. They told me they have their person who does the DMV paperwork going to the DMV next week to straighten the paperwork and get the registration ASAP. I still don't think it's going to do much since they didn't get the previous owner's release paperwork. I'm going to give them this last opportunity. I'm going to lawyer up if they don't get anything going after this DMV appearance.

Got my fingers crossed...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
StormtrooperJun

Update 1/26/13:

After filing complaints all over the place, the dealership finally got my registration corrected and sent in. I picked up my registration papers and sticker on Saturday and it's actually under my name now. What a relief! Now, I can go back and mod this thing!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
Finally glad things worked out :-D

Last edited by sangerbanger58; 01-28-2013 at 09:25 PM.
sangerbanger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormtrooperJun View Post
Update 1/26/13:

After filing complaints all over the place, the dealership finally got my registration corrected and sent in. I picked up my registration papers and sticker on Saturday and it's actually under my name now. What a relief! Now, I can go back and mod this thing!

FYI..file a complaint with the DMV.. I know your probably glad you finally received your reg, but the DMV has Investigators who have Law Enforcement privlidges and this dealership should be looked into by the State. Im sure your not the first person this has happened to from there. I know you may not have the time but maybe pick up the phone and call.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
StormtrooperJun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangerbanger58 View Post
Finally glad things worked out :-D

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
StormtrooperJun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffen View Post
FYI..file a complaint with the DMV.. I know your probably glad you finally received your reg, but the DMV has Investigators who have Law Enforcement privlidges and this dealership should be looked into by the State. Im sure your not the first person this has happened to from there. I know you may not have the time but maybe pick up the phone and call.

Yeah, I'm going to file with the DMV. I already filed with Chevy corporate as well. Even if nothing is done about it this time at least it has been documented.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Culb

Drives: 2012 2LS
Of course this is a bit late, but I wouldn't ever trust a substitute document to "get you off the hook". Officers have seen all sorts of scams and attempts to fool them, so their answer would probably be to just give you the ticket and have you take it up in court - at best!
Culb is offline   Reply With Quote