Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
Canvas question

If someone stole my car and OnStar kill-switched it and locked the doors, could a thief just cut their way out through the canvas top? I've always wondered about this.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
it wouldn't do them any good because onstar will have disabled the engine, regardless of whether they were IN or OUT of the car.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
NickZ28

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Convert
Um, yes.
NickZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
the top is cloth....and seriously, this was a ridiculous question. Anyone can cut through the top at ANY TIME, regardless whether you have ONSTAR or not.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
IncrediblyX

I've always imagined the "skeleton" to be built like an accordion. What I'm trying to get to is this: what does the top look like without the canvas? Wouldn't it be physically impossible to get out?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Chuckster

Drives: 2012 2LT Convertible
There is actually a hardtop lurking under the canvas when the top is up. It magically vanishes when the canvas top is retracted. It's been a highly kept secret until now, but Chevrolet worked closely with Harry Potter in developing the Camaro convertible. I hope this makes you feel better.

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
There is actually a hardtop lurking under the canvas when the top is up. It magically vanishes when the canvas top is retracted. It's been a highly kept secret until now, but Chevrolet worked closely with Harry Potter in developing the Camaro convertible. I hope this makes you feel better.
Thanks. Now it's not a secret anymore!!!
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
IncrediblyX

Almost 300 views and the only answer is Harry Potter? You can't tell me that NO ONE here knows or has any clue as to how the retractable top is designed?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I doubt OnStar would lock the doors, but I would think the crook would just unlock the top and manually push it back far enough to get out or just bust a window.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
IncrediblyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
I doubt OnStar would lock the doors, but I would think the crook would just unlock the top and manually push it back far enough to get out or just bust a window.
I didn't think about manually opening the top. LOL. So then, OnStar would be totally useless in capturing criminals in convertibles. Haha
With OnStar, there's a cellphone app so that you can lock the doors or unlock the doors no matter where you are... as long as the car's antenna gets a signal. You can even set the alarm off or check the health status of your car. But all this stuff cost $$$, that is why I didn't renew.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Granted i have a 95 conv camaro but if i was stuck in my camaro it wouldnt be as easy as just cutting the top. I mean yea if i happen to have a big knife with me and i was skinny enough to slip through the bars then maybe.
i would think the thief would still be trying to get out ( if going through the top) when the cops show up.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
IF your car is stolen and you have a subscription to on-star they can and will shut off the car only if the authorities are called. They wont just shut off the car in the middle of nowhere. They will only shut it off when the officers behind the car tell them its safe because on star does not apply the brakes.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
LOL at criminals getting locksed in cars by Onstar. You've been watching too much TV.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyX View Post
Almost 300 views and the only answer is Harry Potter? You can't tell me that NO ONE here knows or has any clue as to how the retractable top is designed?
The top design is bows and rails. Basically two side pieces that for the shape and 5 cross beams. Theoretically anyone could slip a knife through the canvas and slit it open between the bows. That being said I don't think it would be easy to get in/out that way but people will try anything.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote