Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddvious View Post
I'm curious as to why not any specific reason? Too much trouble, Availability? Other?
Methanol injection in the most simple terms, is nothing more than setting up a separate pump system to spray some extra alcohol race fuel into the engine. Depending on where you spray it, it will provide some additional cooling. I saw one car at the Texas mile that was spraying half of it's fuel and all of its nitrous in front of the blower to provide additional blower cooling.

I know it works but from a physics point of view I question the concept of spraying liquid fuel on hot metal for cooling. If temps get out of control the entire car is going to go up in flames. I know there are people that think the blower could never get that hot. I know it can.

My next issue with spraying meth is tuning the car. I'm not a tuner but know air fuel ratios have an optimum operational area. If you put meth (fuel) in for cooling you are going to be able to increase the timing advance and power because meth is for all practical purposes race gas. That is fine but what if the meth pump fails? If you are spraying any reasonable volume of meth and your tune is maximizing the advance available in the fuel then if the pump fails or goes dry, the tune will be wrong. You could compromise with the tune and not use all of the advance available with the meth so if you have a meth system failure you don't wreck the engine but then it is just a compromise. I say why not tune to maximize the advance and AFR for the fuel in the car. If you want to run race gas build a separate tune for race gas.

People have been spraying extra meth long enough that most of the kinks have been worked out by the tuners and builders that do it all the time. To me it adds one more complication, one more reservoir to check. One more tank with more dead weight somewhere on the car. I'm not saying I will never have it but to this point I haven't felt like I needed it. My car runs really well with a specific tune for the specific fuel I have in the car. I have done a lot of work on my supercharger cooling. Just have not gone to the meth system yet.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
Speaking of IAT2's what does everyone's normally run at? It seems to me that when I am cruising on the interstate mine will settle out of around 55 degrees above ambient.
I'm normally 15 - 20 deg over ambient when cruising and I have changed pulleys.
Quote:
Looks like I am low on coolant. Guess I will need to take a trip to the dealer.
I
This will also cause your pump to completely stop. I have Aero Force gauges on the A-pillar with IAT1 and IAT2 right on top of each other for quick reference. No way I'm hitting the road track again without knowing what my IAT's are.

Best thing to do is get a reservoir so you can ensure it's full.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 07-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #31
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
Why do you need to go to the dealer to put coolant in a hole you just looked in? Just go buy the recommended coolant from your auto parts and there you go.
The manual specifically states that the procedure is more complicated than just filling up in the hole and to take it to the dealership. I also want to have them check for a sign of a leak done I don't see one. If I do have one it is most likely a defect that should be under warranty. I also want to have them make sure that the pump is not damaged l. I am also going to have then check the supercharger rattle while they are in.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
The manual specifically states that the procedure is more complicated than just filling up in the hole and to take it to the dealership. I also want to have them check for a sign of a leak done I don't see one. If I do have one it is most likely a defect that should be under warranty. I also want to have them make sure that the pump is not damaged l. I am also going to have then check the supercharger rattle while they are in.
You would smell it if it was leaking and your pump should be fine. They just stop running with low fluid. You will be able to feel the fluid in the hose when the pump is operating. Without a reservoir it's definitely best to have the dealership fill it.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #33
white ZL1

Drives: none
The procedure really is that simple. Might take a few morning and cold starts to get it completely full, but it's very easy.
Sounds like you've got more for the dealer to do though.
I bet the dealer doesn't get it full.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #34
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by white ZL1 View Post
The procedure really is that simple. Might take a few morning and cold starts to get it completely full, but it's very easy.
Sounds like you've got more for the dealer to do though.
^^^This
Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #35
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
+2, If you fill it and put the cap on there is still air in the system 90% of the time.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #36
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I figured it had something to do with bleeding air since the system has potential for pockets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #37
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
Quote:
Delete? No.
But that might be part of the problem?

Attached is one of my configs that has IAT2 in it. See if you can get it to work?
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #38
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
Quote:
Delete? No.
But that might be part of the problem?

Attached is one of my configs that has IAT2 in it. See if you can get it to work?
That didn't work. I sent you a PM.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #39
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
That didn't work. I sent you a PM.
Emailed you the config. Not sure why it would have been corrupted?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #40
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
use your tuning software to double check that the pump is wired correctly and turning on. Mine was wired backwards from the factory, and never turned on. Matt figured it out and fixed it for me.
2013 #123, M6 2.38 upper, ID850, dynatech 1 7/8 headers, cats, X pipe, ADM CAI, 160 Tstat, Hurst line lock, tune by FSP
Sebring 2:39.20 MPSS
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #41
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
To add to Jessrayo's comments on meth - if you are spraying meth through a single nozzle, you run the risk of unequal distribution, meaning its possible for a cylinder to get a lesser charge than others. That would be bad. Direct port could fix this, but a more expensive setup.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #42
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Come borrow my dash logic. You can use it to see the IATs/etc on the hud and set up warnings so the car tells you when they go over 130 or whatever you program.