Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #15
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Sounds like a good opportunity/excuse to upgrade the rear end
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Sadly once it is flagged in the GM system going to another dealer won't do anything. Sucks.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
You said they denied warranty because of modiifcations. Based on the Magnisum-Moss act/law the dealer has to PROVE what mod caused the problem. If they says it was the tune then INSIST they dyno your car to PROVE its hp & torque exceeded GM hp & torque specs that the rear wasn't made to handle.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #18
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Not to be sound against you all-American, as I am just saying what I think is truthful. but unless you could know how you drove it, people would have to assume you drove it hard. Also would the mods you did to the car potentially add additional stress to the rear end?, if so, then you could see why they are standing where they stand.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I would go with the car was not making the noise until THE DEALERSHIP swapped the fluid, this car does not take the same diff fluid as the regular "camaro". If they can't cover a fluid change on a modified car then they should not have done it in the first place. I'm guessing they put the wrong fluid in there. If you have the receipts for their work they should have part numbers in there. Try to check it out.

If it is just noise turning, it probably just needs another fluid change with ZL1 fluid. I'm pretty sure it is not broken....I beat the crap out of mine and the clutches just pick up some slack..... mine got a little louder but ran 200 mph with 1400whp on it.

If they won't do any thing, I would order the correct fluid and try to flush it a couple of times before I bought a new one....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #20
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
You said they denied warranty because of modiifcations. Based on the Magnisum-Moss act/law the dealer has to PROVE what mod caused the problem. If they says it was the tune then INSIST they dyno your car to PROVE its hp & torque exceeded GM hp & torque specs that the rear wasn't made to handle.
You guys throw that act up all the time, but when something clearly states that doing something will void the warranty that act does not work. It worked back when car warranties were kind of vague. They are not that way anymore.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #21
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I would go with the car was not making the noise until THE DEALERSHIP swapped the fluid, this car does not take the same diff fluid as the regular "camaro". If they can't cover a fluid change on a modified car then they should not have done it in the first place. I'm guessing they put the wrong fluid in there. If you have the receipts for their work they should have part numbers in there. Try to check it out.

If it is just noise turning, it probably just needs another fluid change with ZL1 fluid. I'm pretty sure it is not broken....I beat the crap out of mine and the clutches just pick up some slack..... mine got a little louder but ran 200 mph with 1400whp on it.

If they won't do any thing, I would order the correct fluid and try to flush it a couple of times before I bought a new one....
I agree, no problem till fluid change, probably wrong fluid. Different fluids depending on axle, what part number is charged out on RO.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:

This is an extremely good point.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
First and most importantly, your dealer is an idiot. This is an undeniable fact. Dealers are typically* scared of things they don't see everyday, which includes alien parts on their run-of-the-mill cars. They want to see the same stuff for in the shop that they see on the showroom floor. Their minds are closed to new things, even if those things are well within the tolerances of their own quality assurance standards.

All of this aside, you are limited by a partially corrupted system. In legal terms, they have to prove that your parts led to the failure or discrepancy. In financial terms, if they break the law, then you have to sue in order to get your way, thus costing you way more than it will cost to repair this part. From the customer service side of things, GM is in a strange spot. They've got a lot of family cars and a few performance cars, but they all have the same warranty. They never advertised their parts to handle a lot of power, and that also means that you can't expect the parts to work right with your changes. Even if they did advertise the potential to work up to that horsepower range, the stresses experienced by the affected systems might not fail immediately, instead taking time to break. This is why most high-performance brands offer shorter warranties. The alloys are the same, but they experience relatively higher stresses, eventually resulting in comparably earlier failure.

*dealers—I say this with few exceptions, some of whom are on the forum and others I have met personally.

Quote:

Listen to this guy.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:

This x1000

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #25
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American ZL1 View Post
I have a 2013 M6 ZL1. Like many other people I noticed the loud rear end. I had my dealership evaluate it around 5,000 miles, and they said it was normal. Over the next year I made some small modifications to the car, Pulley, headers, tune.
I would remind them that you first brought the issue to their attention PRIOR to you making any mods to the car. If you have receipts to support mods were performed AFTER your first complaint at 5,000 miles it is not your fault the dealer misdiagnosed the complaint and dismissed it as normal.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #26
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Only problem with a different dealership is that GM may have flagged your VIN from your previous warranty claim attempt (they have been known to do this). Your best course of action could be to try a different dealership and speak with your municipality's Attorney General to see whether you can fight the denial. You would need to prove that your modifications did not cause the failure.

Good luck. GM has become extremely strict and selective with their warranty coverage. At their worst (2009) some dealerships weren't even covering legitimate claims (truss me I know firsthand).

If it was flagged by GM he might as well forget about the warranty for good.
I was flagged on my car and it doesn't matter where you take it. I was told GM won't even let the dealer work on it if you pay out of pocket. A second dealer is gonna replace my SC couple, I buy the part he provides the labor with no warranty from the dealer on their work.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #27
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
I was thinking the same thing as Jessrayo that they may have put in the wrong fluid, I picked it up today and I'm going to try another dealership to see if I get any different response. I appreciate everyone's input. Part of the reason that I posted this is to help other people out there who were trying to decide on modding their car. Thanks.
2013 #123, M6 2.38 upper, ID850, dynatech 1 7/8 headers, cats, X pipe, ADM CAI, 160 Tstat, Hurst line lock, tune by FSP
Sebring 2:39.20 MPSS
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #28
Steel02001

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Keep us updated
2015 ZL1 #117
Summit White M6
Steel02001 is offline   Reply With Quote