Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Mike Jung

Drives: '14 CRT Camaro SS Coupe
Exclamation ON Drive Clean Emissions testing on OBD II cars with headers or tunes

Yes, I know that we don't need an ON Drive Clean Emission testing until our cars are 7 years old but thought this was something to be aware of...

(Almost & should) Anyone who has headers will have a tune.
& anyone with a PCM tune will want to read this !

New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know

Former G8 owner :(

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
1 of 3,681 in Panther Black Metallic '09 Pontiac G8 GT (with L76 6.0L small block V8 engine & a 6L80 tranny)
1 of 970 '09 Pontiac G8 GT's in the country (Canada)
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Perhaps we should have our resident technicians, from SPI, that many of us are customers of, and way in on this topic and get there expert opinion.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Tell me about it! Had I known of this change in testing method ...would have gone before Jan.1 ...my 2000 blazer failed even with a new Summit cat conv .

After 3 fails 40$+20+20 , I then paid CT 125$ for diagnostic BS + another 140$ (injector flush BS) to get a cond. pass for a total of nearly 400$ to get my 82$ Ontario sticker ! And I still haven t passed yet!!!

The CT guy didn t bother to tell me I had to break in the new cat for a few days and or follow a certain protocol b4 re-testing...
IE: drive , stop and go, idle for 2 min in drive , turn on AC at -20C....Thanks :Result fail test and no heat for a week:(.....bunch of clowns!@#$%

PS Thought it was 5 yrs free of said need for test for new cars ... R u sure its 7

Last edited by camaro99; 02-24-2013 at 07:23 AM.
camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Hmmm, interesting.
Input from Spi would be great.
I would assume that if the car fails, we can retune to pass, and then go back.
Or put the stock exhaust back on? That would be a PITA.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
booenson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
What a useless cash grab, I've said it for years and I'll continue to say that the drive clean program is nothing but a cash grab for the government. Why test new cars? Obviously they're going to be in good shape and will pollute the least
booenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
SQUALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by booenson View Post
What a useless cash grab, I've said it for years and I'll continue to say that the drive clean program is nothing but a cash grab for the government. Why test new cars? Obviously they're going to be in good shape and will pollute the least
That's the gov't for you, not an ounce of common sense in their head, for anything.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Andrew@SPItuning

Drives: 2010 SS
Drive clean

So the rules have changed significantly, and yes, we will have to do things differently from now on. We had the old system figured out, and never really had an issue with our customers passing an e-test. We are currently working on new solutions to the new laws and we'll have it all figured out very soon. We are trying to avoid swapping original parts back on, as that would be time consuming and a real pain. Our goal is to have the cars pass with some simple tune adjustments which would be the best and easiest for both us and our customers.

I agree with the cash grab statement in some ways. The gov't has changed the rules a few times now, but with the new laws actually having nothing to do with actual measured emissions coming out of the cars, it seems a little confusing as to what they are trying to accomplish.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us to discuss. The rules have changed, but we will have solutions for our customers when the time comes.
Drew
Andrew@SPItuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
SQUALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Perceptions View Post
So the rules have changed significantly, and yes, we will have to do things differently from now on. We had the old system figured out, and never really had an issue with our customers passing an e-test. We are currently working on new solutions to the new laws and we'll have it all figured out very soon. We are trying to avoid swapping original parts back on, as that would be time consuming and a real pain. Our goal is to have the cars pass with some simple tune adjustments which would be the best and easiest for both us and our customers.

I agree with the cash grab statement in some ways. The gov't has changed the rules a few times now, but with the new laws actually having nothing to do with actual measured emissions coming out of the cars, it seems a little confusing as to what they are trying to accomplish.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us to discuss. The rules have changed, but we will have solutions for our customers when the time comes.
Drew
Drew,

Thanks for responding, we knew we could rely on you and your shop to way in on this contraversial topic.
I have faith in you guys, the work that you do, and your expertice in this matter...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
More legislation to get the lil guys out of business so everyone is eventually forced to flip cars every three years to push all that tax money through. Lame
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Just took a 2004 Chev Silverado 2500 crew 6.0 with 63k and a 2006 Honda Civic with 211k in to my local guy for e-tests yesterday.

Both vehicles passed without issue. The Silverado even has a Hypertech tune in it. My guy said his experience is unless the engine check light is on or the battery has been disconnected without a normal driving cycle put in, most cars are passing.

Just my $.02 but not seeing the big issue here. Took less time, shops don't have to have a dyno and if you're check engine light is on you should be fixing the problem anyway.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
What I got out of the article is this.....if you don't want headaches with your E-test, don't install headers? If so, I guess the decision whether or not to add headers to my supercharger build has been made Another BS money grab
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
SQUALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
Another BS money grab

Why doesn't the government just legislate all of us to drive those stupid Toyota Prius or even better a Smart Car...still don't know how that one past crash tests
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
By the time we need to get our cars checked guys like SPi or other tuners will have an easy solution.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
By the time we need to get our cars checked guys like SPi or other tuners will have an easy solution.
I gots dis

Name:  easys.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  6.6 KB