Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Replaced BA System

Well, finally got home and picked up the car and the day after I was in the garage working on my install. I did it in steps so that's how I'll cover it here.

Step 1: Replace Stock Amp.

Too easy using the FARK 3.0 and the board that mounts in the factory location. I replaced my factory amp with a Massive Audio NX4. Used a 4GAU amp install kit and the supplied FARK harnesses. No hick-ups, no problems, everything went in and worked perfectly. I kept the gains at minimum and had no
problems with max/min volume being too loud or quiet.

Step 2: Install Rockford Fosgate P300-10

Probably the easiest thing I did, simply ran an 8GAU amp install kit and used a Y to snag RCA inputs off of my rear channels. Works fine, ran the gain control knob up to the front and tucked it next to the drivers seat. With the wife and kid in the car I keep the sub at about 1/4, without them, about 1/2.

Step 3: Replace the front speakers.

I replaced the fronts first. I used Pioneer TS-A1650C's and they sound great. I followed the great DIY here on Camaro5 on how to get the door panels off. There isn't any setting on the crossover, but it doesn't need it. The tweeter is smaller than the factory one so it doesn't fit in the factory tweeter location too well. I filled it with some styrafoam and secured it in place using 2 sided tape and it's had no problem.

The ******** front adapters are a must. Made the install 100% easier. Had to go borrow a drill to get a pilot hole for the screws, but that's no biggie. Mounted up and installed in under two hours (taking my time and sitting outside)

Step 4: Replace the rear speakers

Replaced them using TS-A6995R. They sound amazing as well. Followed the great DIY here on camaro 5 for the rears as well, anyone who looks at this task as over-whelming, relax. It's really really easy. Just follow the directions and everything will be fine. The only tip I have is that when removing the B pillars, the airbag logo there has a 7mm bolt behind it. I didn't know until I kept pulling and it wouldn't come off. Used a flat screwdriving to pry the logo off and undid the bolt.

Overall: SOUNDS GREAT

Have the gains on my NX4 turned up to about 1/4 and the EQ flat and everything sounds great, especially once I took the time to set up the crossovers on the amp and the sub.

I wouldn't have done any of this without the ******** parts. Would have gotten a sub box from them, but the wife shut down the money operation. It was window tint or the sub box.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
RedHotRS

Drives: 2013 CRT 2LT RS
Nice! Congrats!

I too want to start with a replacement amp for my car. Heard the BA premium actually sounds decent when you add some real power. Figure I would try that first.

How do you like that sub? I have it on back order but afraid it may not be enough. What are your thoughts?
RedHotRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
A good clean amp can make cheap speakers sound good. A bad amp with distorted power can make the best speaker sound like sh!t.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
BigVic
Speed Racer

Drives: 2022 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post

I have that sub with the stock non-BA system and it sounds pretty good. Great price too!

Post delivery - FR 41 ZL1 Replica Rims (20x10 Front, +23 - 20x11 Rear, +43), Llumar 28% Tint, Ceramic Paint Coating, Hardwired Uniden R3 Radar Unit and Viofo A129 Dashcam, TMG A-15 (dual) front Laser Jammers
BigVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
The sub is amazing. Not over powering not quiet. Covers the bottom end great and fits perfect. Its also nice that when I need to put the stroller in, its two plugs and its out.

Yes, the factory speakers didn't sound bad with a new amp, but the pioneers I used are much crisper sounding.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
RedHotRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVic View Post
I have that sub with the stock non-BA system and it sounds pretty good. Great price too!

Quote:
The sub is amazing. Not over powering not quiet. Covers the bottom end great and fits perfect. Its also nice that when I need to put the stroller in, its two plugs and its out.

Yes, the factory speakers didn't sound bad with a new amp, but the pioneers I used are much crisper sounding.
I appreciate the feedback guys.

Can't beat that price, that's for sure. They sell that same sub around here for $299. Guess I could always sell it if I wanted more low end.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Well, finally got home and picked up the car and the day after I was in the garage working on my install. I did it in steps so that's how I'll cover it here.

Step 1: Replace Stock Amp.

Too easy using the FARK 3.0 and the board that mounts in the factory location. I replaced my factory amp with a Massive Audio NX4. Used a 4GAU amp install kit and the supplied FARK harnesses. No hick-ups, no problems, everything went in and worked perfectly. I kept the gains at minimum and had no
problems with max/min volume being too loud or quiet.

Probably the easiest thing I did, simply ran an 8GAU amp install kit and used a Y to snag RCA inputs off of my rear channels. Works fine, ran the gain control knob up to the front and tucked it next to the drivers seat. With the wife and kid in the car I keep the sub at about 1/4, without them, about 1/2.

Step 3: Replace the front speakers.

I replaced the fronts first. I used Pioneer TS-A1650C's and they sound great. I followed the great DIY here on Camaro5 on how to get the door panels off. There isn't any setting on the crossover, but it doesn't need it. The tweeter is smaller than the factory one so it doesn't fit in the factory tweeter location too well. I filled it with some styrafoam and secured it in place using 2 sided tape and it's had no problem.

The ******** front adapters are a must. Made the install 100% easier. Had to go borrow a drill to get a pilot hole for the screws, but that's no biggie. Mounted up and installed in under two hours (taking my time and sitting outside)

Step 4: Replace the rear speakers

Replaced them using TS-A6995R. They sound amazing as well. Followed the great DIY here on camaro 5 for the rears as well, anyone who looks at this task as over-whelming, relax. It's really really easy. Just follow the directions and everything will be fine. The only tip I have is that when removing the B pillars, the airbag logo there has a 7mm bolt behind it. I didn't know until I kept pulling and it wouldn't come off. Used a flat screwdriving to pry the logo off and undid the bolt.

Overall: SOUNDS GREAT

Have the gains on my NX4 turned up to about 1/4 and the EQ flat and everything sounds great, especially once I took the time to set up the crossovers on the amp and the sub.

I wouldn't have done any of this without the ******** parts.

Glad you like the kit. Some ppl round here don't appreciate everything try to do or provide for our customers.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I really need to do this soon...

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
RedHotRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Glad you like the kit. Some ppl round here don't appreciate everything try to do or provide for our customers.
Just what is it you do that isn't appreciated?