Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Desert Stealth

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1 Convertible Automatic
Road Trip

Scarlet, our 2014 ZL1 convertible, stood proud and ready. I’d spent several days pampering her in every way possible. Generous lubrications, fresh exotic full synthetic oils, and lovingly applied glazes topped with a rich carnauba wax. She glowed with satisfaction.

Ahead of us lay the adventure of a lifetime, 2,200 miles of heavily forested two lane roads, through Nevada, California and Oregon. On start-up, Scarlet’s exhaust is a throaty rumble. She teases with a taste of how she will command all 580 horses. A chariot like no other, I can’t help but stop for a moment, listening to her idle and marvel over the subtle sound of power!

Some may track this car and others may prefer autocross. In my opinion, the ZL1 is the finest cross-country vehicle ever created. Her wide stance, grippy tires, powerful brakes, weight and power will comfortably propel you at breathtaking speeds. Never once was there a moment of doubt or hesitation. Each curve was taken with authority and determination. As we passed mere mortal vehicles, we rocketed well over 120 miles per hour, creating a blur to those on the sidelines.

My favorite part of the trip was Route 139 from Klamath Falls, OR to Reno, NV. This generally empty two lane road was a combination of wide open farm land and more closely forested roadway. Apparently, most other drivers would prefer the boring and predictable I-5. But, we weren't driving in a Cadillac or an SUV. No sir! We drove a finely crafted and engineered machine. Scarlet is indeed a machine. She is always hungry for speed, relentless and demanding, as we literally flew down the roadway.

The precision of every element of this vehicle is communicated gracefully to me. You don’t drive her, you make love to her. The gauges keep me in control. The suede steering wheel provides a firm but gentle grip. Set for sport mode and double tap for competitive driving mode we are one, man and machine. The curvy roadway gives us the challenge we crave. Speeding along straightaways, up and down sloping hills, they are all taken effortlessly. Scarlet’s lungs have an insatiable appetite for air and the roar of spent gas through her headers adds a thrill to the drive.

Power is addictive. Lust for it and she will deliver all the power you need to feel fulfilled. She is demanding. Reaction time is critical and you better know how to handle under and over steer. But, Scarlet is also a temptress who will woo you away from all others. She won’t settle for anything less than heart pounding speed and agility.

Marcus
Desert Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
Couldn't agree with you more! Post up some pics!
2013 #123, M6 2.38 upper, ID850, dynatech 1 7/8 headers, cats, X pipe, ADM CAI, 160 Tstat, Hurst line lock, tune by FSP
Sebring 2:39.20 MPSS
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Are you a professional poet by any chance?
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
I ran some of the same roads that you were on a couple of weeks ago, only not with my ZL1 since I did not want to put 5800 miles on it.(yet) But definitely beautiful country up that way.

I found a couple of enjoyable roads one of which was 168 on the Cali side. Take 95 north of Vegas to 266 west and you hit 168. And that road if you love twists and turns and multiple 7000ft+ summits, it is a great ride with a finish on 395 which at dusk with the clouds in the peaks of the mountains you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful sight.

But, not to be outdone THE BEST road I found was Highway 20 between Fort Bragg and Willets among the Northern California Redwoods. Thirty plus gorgeous miles of lefts and rights with hardly a soul in sight.

Hopefully next time I will bring my Z..
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Desert Stealth

We had Highway 20 through the Redwoods on our list but didn't make it this trip. Thanks for the info. We'll certainly take that drive at some point.

Marcus
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
I was just going to say the same thing about my drive! Seriously love it! Great writing and I was there with you, could relate, and it brought a smile to my face. Bravo!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Desert Stealth

Thank you for your kind comments. Always encourages me to write more!

Marcus