Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Rocklage

Drives: Beast on loan from Hades.
Ladies and Gentlemen, where do I start?

2SS/RS.

Disclaimer: California Resident, so I have to deal with frequent 5yr smog checks. With moderate mechanical knowledge.

My goal is 500rwhp street tame.

And since I plan on keeping this car for 5years or more I am going to be investing quite a bit into it so that it remains a competitor against the bullshit "I have to have the latest and greatest LA residents."

Question: Where do I begin? Obviously I would like to start with the CAI then from headers to exhaust. (It will have to be shorties here in California, thinking Kooks or Borla, with Borla S Type in the rear)

So the biggest question is blower or cams, or both? and If so in which order?

How much work/cost is involved in the installation of a SC or a Cam?

How much additional parts are needed for either/or?

I am half german so I like to methodically plan and save/invest appropiately and definitely install mods in a logical progression, instead of just tossing on a cam/blower with stock headers and exhaust.

So for all of you veterans out there, can you offer me a smart order in which I proceed, finacially and logically in order to achieve my goal of 500rwhp.

And no NOS.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this!
Rocklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
From what I've Seen you need a Supercharger
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Since you live here in California, the blower may be your best choice. You can retain your 'smog-ability' and gain the horsepower you are looking for.

Installation generally takes 8 - 12 hours for your first install (depending on your skill level). My install took me a solid 12 hours.

If you are interested you can give me a call and I can set you in the right direction
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
If you want the most out of your blower you should do the headers and cam then do the blower or do the blower at the same time as cam........
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Rocklage

My foundation to build upon will of course start with a CAI + Scoop, Borla S-Type for the cat back, and the only thing up in the air is the headers.

Stick with Borla? or Mix it up? Pondering that at the moment.

But from there on out is the question, secretly I was leaning towards a blower, since the HP/$ is greater then a cam install I am to understand.

Now it comes down to researching Super Chargers, and suspension/tires to support the 500rwhp.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Our TVS 2300 will get you just shy of 500... with NO other mods & be completly smog/carb/Schwarzenegger legal.
http://www.magnacharger.com/magnacha...ger-system.htm

Also, the kit will give you proper street manners when needed... better fuel economy (if you keep your foot out of it).
If you are in the area you can swing by our shop and get a tour too...

Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Rocklage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@Magnacharger View Post
Our TVS 2300 will get you just shy of 500... with NO other mods & be completly smog/carb/Schwarzenegger legal.
http://www.magnacharger.com/magnacha...ger-system.htm

Also, the kit will give you proper street manners when needed... better fuel economy (if you keep your foot out of it).
If you are in the area you can swing by our shop and get a tour too...

HAHA Thank you Jess, I'll have to take you up on that tour soon

Last edited by Rocklage; 09-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Rocklage

EDIT: I absolutely Love California for modding.... Jess since your SC is the only one that comes with the CARB sticker, do I have to do my exhaust with you as well to maintain that sticker? If so, what exhaust options do you offer?

Or I suppose I just say screw it, and make friends with my local smog guy And Go the same route as all of you with long tube kooks, high flow cats, etc etc

Last edited by Rocklage; 09-29-2010 at 09:10 PM.