Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
P700

Drives: 2013 ZL1
ZL1 winter storage question

I recently purchased a ZL1. reading through the owners manual it says car should not be stored in under 20 degree temperatures, because the tires cannot withstand these temps. I live in northern Minnesota and 20 degrees is a nice winter day!
I planned on storing this car all winter long under cover in my detached garage which is not heated. the car will never move.
do u guys see this as being an issue for the tires?
also would u recommend a battery tender all winter long?

thank you.
P700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
The tires aren't really an issue as long as you don't move them at those temps. Mine is also stored and covered in my insulated, yet unheated garage. Even at sub-zero temps I've yet to set the temp inside the garage fall below 30. And yes, use a battery tender. Make sure it has a true-float mode. Unfortunately I guess it's getting to be that time of year"facepalm:
You will see many threads pop up on here about this with even more opinions about it, the most useless coming from the south.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Battery tender, yes.
As far as the tires go, I had an extra set of wheels/tires from the 2011 I had, so I don't take any chances. I take the stock wheels/tires off and store them in my basement, and put the extra set from my 2011 SS on the ZL1 for the winter. They fit just fine.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by P700 View Post
I recently purchased a ZL1. reading through the owners manual it says car should not be stored in under 20 degree temperatures, because the tires cannot withstand these temps. I live in northern Minnesota and 20 degrees is a nice winter day!
I planned on storing this car all winter long under cover in my detached garage which is not heated. the car will never move.
do u guys see this as being an issue for the tires?
also would u recommend a battery tender all winter long?

thank you.
I second the 'as long as you don't move/drive on them, you are fine'.

that's what I've done with my car, and my tires turned out fine. I'm in Chicago, and we got some brutally cold time last winter. I kept it in the garage, unheated and just didn't move it. Don't artificially bring them up to temp (heaters, etc . . .) just let them naturally get to +40deg F and they should be fine.

When I replace tires, I'm going for an all season . . .

Definitely don't drive on them below 40. Complete hockey pucks. unnecessary danger for you and who-ever else is around you on the road.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Falls

Drives: 2015 Silver ZL1 A6
I'm going to swap out my stock tires when my car comes in. We have days in spring and fall that will be ok driving but sounds like the tires would stop me and make me nervous driving on them. I have GY F1 run flats on my Vette and never had issues. NOW the Zl1 is rated at 150 more HP than my vette so that me be an issue too. I'm going to the GY shop to see what they say.

I also might have to move my car in the garage ( have a big garage) during winter so thats not good either. I will have it on a battery 2amp trickle charge all winter or should I pull the battery and put it in the house ? It can get brutally cold here in winter !!

Any recommendations on other make's of tires ?
Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Store my car in my garage every winter in freezing upstate NY. Never had a issue with the tires ever. Battery tender is fine but I always just disconnect the battery instead.
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Hard to believe it will be storage time in about 6 weeks. Thanks for the reminder!!
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
TCB ZL1

Drives: Summit White 2014 ZL1
I bought a set of flatstoppers to put mine on when i park it. They cradle the tires and jeep them off the floor and also keep them from flat spotting. I paid 250.00 for mine but I think it's some of the best money I've spent to help take care of my car.
TCB ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
64stingray

Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
New tires don't flatspot anymore. I park my Z in the unheated garage and it went down to -35 last winter, no problem as long as you don't move the car, not even an inch. After I got my car last year, GM called me and gave me instructions for taking care of the tires and they said don't move the car until it's 20 F. The tires were perfect in the spring
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
P700

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Thanks
P700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB ZL1 View Post
I bought a set of flatstoppers to put mine on when i park it. They cradle the tires and jeep them off the floor and also keep them from flat spotting. I paid 250.00 for mine but I think it's some of the best money I've spent to help take care of my car.
I second the FlatStoppers. Made by RaceRamps.

Here's how I put Crystal away.
  • Rustcheck
  • Oil change
  • Full tank
  • Wash and dry
  • Pump up tires
  • Stabilizer
  • Raceramps
  • BatteryTender
  • Dryer sheets inside
  • Car Cover
  • set mouse traps in garage