Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #239
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
19, stick. Been practicing on mom's 1973 914
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #240
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
49 Years old, v8 Manual.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #241
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
31 auto one wife cant drive stick and two i dont want to
shawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #242
LyssaRaen

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
27 Female / 1SS Manual - Have never owned an automatic.
LyssaRaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #243
Super Sport

Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
You only need to double clutch a transmission if the syncro's are removed, or if it is a straight cut gear transmission.

I am trying to think of a muscle car built in the 60's, 70's and 80's that did NOT come with a standard and the Auto was optional. I cant think of one.
Most Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds were automatics in those days, at least around here. Not only because they were faster but because the double-clutching in performance applications was a pain in the ass.

It's funny how across the pond everyone wishes they had an automatic and if you have one, you're the coolest dude ever and that over here we're still stuck in the stone age where everyone raves about the rather unfounded benefits and joys of a manual transmission. The mindset is the complete opposite elsewhere.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #244
Warroad
Swedish Ca(r)maro-geek!

Drives: Audi A4 Convertible
Send a message via MSN to Warroad
20, will definately go with a manual since I've only had manual cars. Auto equals p*ssy in Sweden
Warroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #245
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warroad View Post
20, will definately go with a manual since I've only had manual cars. Auto equals p*ssy in Sweden
That was uncalled for.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #246
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
IOM 2SS/RS manual IMHO, only way to go with a sports car - 58 years young.

first new car was a 1971 SS Camaro, Hugger Orange, 4 on the floor.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #247
AngryCamaro

Drives: A2B POS
25-manual

In my opinion, a manual transmission is more then just a must have for muscle cars. I believe a manual transmission makes a driver more aware of what is going on with the car and makes the experience a bit more...intimate. (can't think of a better word to describe the feeling of control you have in a manual)

That being said, I cannot rag on people who prefer automatics to manuals. A personal preference is just that, personal.

Yes, traffic can be a pain while driving a manual transmission, but isn't that a perfect excuse to take the scenic route back home and enjoy the car that much longer? Hills are my biggest problem, I avoid them like the plague. Maybe that's because I grew up in Florida and never got used to that type of clutch control.

I just feel disconnected when I drive cars with automatic transmissions, not to mention how many times I will stomp on the floor trying for a clutch or pulling the center console selector into neutral because I have driven manuals for so long.

Just like having a good feel of the road through your steering column, a manual transmission is my gateway into the feel of the engine.
AngryCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #248
SSPROJECT
barbarianmotorsports

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
36 manual it's a sports car and more power 426 hp
SSPROJECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #249
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryCamaro View Post
25-manual

In my opinion, a manual transmission is more then just a must have for muscle cars. I believe a manual transmission makes a driver more aware of what is going on with the car and makes the experience a bit more...intimate. (can't think of a better word to describe the feeling of control you have in a manual)

That being said, I cannot rag on people who prefer automatics to manuals. A personal preference is just that, personal.

Yes, traffic can be a pain while driving a manual transmission, but isn't that a perfect excuse to take the scenic route back home and enjoy the car that much longer? Hills are my biggest problem, I avoid them like the plague. Maybe that's because I grew up in Florida and never got used to that type of clutch control.

I just feel disconnected when I drive cars with automatic transmissions, not to mention how many times I will stomp on the floor trying for a clutch or pulling the center console selector into neutral because I have driven manuals for so long.

Just like having a good feel of the road through your steering column, a manual transmission is my gateway into the feel of the engine.
I just feel that this Automatic is the most recent technology in it and is the way to go. I hate the jerking feeling of a manual and living in the NYC is not easy with a manual. I also find it hard to change songs on my ipod while driving a manual or drinking a coffee and etc. Plus the Auto is faster.

I appreciate that you say it is your opinion that muscle cars should be manual. Because some people here insist it as a fact and it really gets on my nerves.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #250
AngryCamaro

Drives: A2B POS
I was trying to avoid using the same old excuse everyone else has for the manual. It's more complicated then just saying "It isn't a muscle car if it is an auto!"

When I finally get into my Camaro, stilling saving for a decent down payment, my enjoyment will come from the control I have over the brute strength the Camaro offers. I can completely understand the reason for your choice you gave above. Technology has certainly came a long way. I just don't get my thrills from the car because I can easily change the song on my ipod or because my coffee is easily accessible.

You don't like it when people crack on the automatics, yet now that you have gained a little knowledge about the speed of the autos you throw it out there like a badge. Keep in mind that some very simple and inexpensive upgrades to a manual transmission would make your .1 edge turn into edible dust.
AngryCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #251
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryCamaro View Post
I was trying to avoid using the same old excuse everyone else has for the manual. It's more complicated then just saying "It isn't a muscle car if it is an auto!"

When I finally get into my Camaro, stilling saving for a decent down payment, my enjoyment will come from the control I have over the brute strength the Camaro offers. I can completely understand the reason for your choice you gave above. Technology has certainly came a long way. I just don't get my thrills from the car because I can easily change the song on my ipod or because my coffee is easily accessible.

You don't like it when people crack on the automatics, yet now that you have gained a little knowledge about the speed of the autos you throw it out there like a badge. Keep in mind that some very simple and inexpensive upgrades to a manual transmission would make your .1 edge turn into edible dust.
Talking about performance is one thing, calling people p*ssies is another. The manual and Auto have their pros and cons like any other decision we make in life.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #252
punk

Drives: 2ss/rs cgm
35 - Male - Auto

Traffic man...nothing i hate worse than driving in traffic with a manual.
punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, snobs