Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #29
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I got pulled over for speeding a couple of weeks ago. Being respectful and admitting your
at fault goes a long way. I told the LEO I wasn't paying attention to the speed limit and
made some small talk. He came back with a "warning" only.... 51 in a 30 plus a $225.00
fine avoided by not being a jerk. I'll try that every time.
Now ive had 2 experiences within an hour of each other..one good one bad. Coming home from a long drive my wife and i decided to stop for a burger in a town about 3 hours from home. It was dark...as i went to turn into an empty lot entrance to turn around..half way through my turn i saw the entrance was blocked with 3 small concrete slabs. So i just kinda kept going doing a half ass unplanned u turn. Bang on goes the lights of a cruiser...no break or nothing...$60 ticket for an illegal u turn even when i explained what happened...he was a complete ass. 45 mins from home in another small town i was going 65 in a 50 and of course i was pulled over. Now my wife was livid lol. I explained to the cop the events of the day and how if he gave me another ticket i might be divorced. He asked to see my previous ticket. Once i showed him he gave a laugh and a warning. He didnt want to be the cause of a divorce he told my wife laughing. So you dont really know what to expect even when your respectful.....i had it both ways that day.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #30
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Short answers like "nope" and "yup" and overall way you tell the story. Ive been a cop 28 years....know a smartass when I see/hear one. Not saying you are/were.....but it sure sounded that way.

I typically do not kneel to officers - I treat them as humans, meaning, the same way I get treated. He started being a smartass to me stating "you probably have gone over the speed limit before since you have a camaro", yea, I have, and in my truck, and my wifes Cruze too. Not just because I have a Camaro.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #31
kmarshall2121

Seems alot of people are siding with the officer on this, I dont care regardless. He made an error in pulling me over, and was making an attempt to back peddle, i get this. But, I would have also understood and had alot more respect in him if he just admitted it, and sent me on my way.He approached my vehicle with an attitude not only in his actions, but in his voice. I cant imagine anybody taking kind to that. He wasnt bringing freshly baked cookies to my window, therefore, this is why I demaded to see his supervisor. He was arguing with me that I WAS EXCEEDING the posted speed limit. He also claimed he knows the posted limits, where in this case, he didnt. I basically administered my right to remain silent until his supervisor came. Just because I summoned his boss, gives no additional reason for him to find another issue and get more pissed at me. If the waitress totally messes up my order, and wont reason with me, YES, I will ask to talk to her boss also. Dont we all? If a service tech (which I too have had issues with) doesnt take care of my (or yours) situation, I go higher. Human nature. If I mess up on my job, I would expect to get contacted by my boss. The officer in my situation deserved no more than short one word answers. He was hiding behind his badge and was prepared to use it in any way he could find.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #32
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Here s my problem with your "alleged" story. To start: if you talked to me that way..I would find a way to ticket you. You demand my supervisor over a traffic stop...you'll prolly wait an hour and still get a ticket. People tend to stretch the truth with their "I got pulled over stories."
A person who cooperates with me and is not a smartass.....will usually drive off with a warning or nothing at all. Remember folks, driving is a privilege, not a right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
Well at least your honest about being dishonest.... So do you break headlights too, when someone pisses you off? What about beatings for "mouthing off"? Or do you draw the line there?
Touche!!! Doesn't that sound a lot like, "If I don't like the way you act I'll find a way to abuse my power... "

Don't think Avenging realizes how badly that comes off...
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #33
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
A normal traffic stop is an interaction with another human being so be pleasant, there's reason to act like a jerk or be servile. Even if the cop is out of line in some way, you aren't going to win a confrontation with him beside the road. Handle it like an adult and address any issues in the proper forum.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #34
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
It's going to be tough going through life with that chip on your shoulder. With replies like
"NOPE" and "yup" it's obvious you were being arrogant to say the least. I'm sure glad I'm
not a LEO in this day and age. I think the black lives matter idiots would love to have you.
please define your last sentence: I think the black lives matter idiots would love to have you. (would appear your 'chip' goes much deeper than some)

I have NO chip on my shoulder. He pulled me over, and told me why he was pulling me over all to which he was wrong... My father was a cop, and I have many cop friends in my home town, do they get treated like crap? sure. But I feel in my situation, it only escalated because the cop started acting like a dick when he was questioned by me.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #35
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
A normal traffic stop is an interaction with another human being so be pleasant, there's reason to act like a jerk or be servile. Even if the cop is out of line in some way, you aren't going to win a confrontation with him beside the road. Handle it like an adult and address any issues in the proper forum.
I was very cordial to him until he started arguing with me raising his voice, and defending the fact he was wrong. I would have totally understood and went about my day had he said "you know, maybe youre right", or call in and asked. somehow, he had the resources to determine who was right.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #36
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitearl View Post
Never trust a cop. remember, they are professional liars. Not really to protect and serve but to drain your money out of your wallet.

Sounds like the response of a criminal.
Not saying you are though.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #37
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Was being followed for about a half mile or so by Leo, flips on his lights, I pull over. He walks up to my passenger side, asks me if I have any idea why he pulled me over. I replied (as I have always taught my boys to say also) "NOPE, I do not". He says he was pacing me at 64 mph. I then asked why would I be getting pulled over? He says 9 over is a just reason. I then proceed to inform this pillar of law that the posted speed limit sign a mile back is 65mph, and that I was in total obeyance (is that a word?) of the posted speed limit. He didn't believe me. alright, Im already late for work, I demanded his supervisor, which pulled up 20 min later. They discussed it, and agreed that I was in fact correct, BUT, he assumes I had gone over the speed limit at some point since I own a Camaro. I piped up, yup, I have, now you just have to prove it. Am i free to go? They let me go, but of course after telling me the reason Im not getting a ticket for the tint, was because of the whole inconvenience. HAHA..... I dont think ALL cops are bad, just the asshole ones.....
I was pulled over two weeks ago, not for speeding, but for "failure to yield."

Things to keep in mind: I live in a tiny town (about 10K people). There is one "main drag." There are no "green arrows" or "left turn yield on green" signs in the town anywhere. I think there are 6 stoplights in the whole town. The time is about 5:30 pm.

So I'm on the main drag in the left hand turn lane stopped at a red, with a cop right behind me. The light turns green, and with nobody in the crosswalk or waiting on the other side of the intersection, I complete my left hand turn. As I am doing so, the cop lights me up and follows me through the turn.

A kid steps out and approaches my car. He does something on the back of the car...He reached behind the car...Couldn't tell what. He then approaches and stands BEHIND my B-pillar and never comes any further forward, making talking with him extremely uncomfortable.

Cop: "In a hurry today?"
Me: "Was I speeding?"
Cop: "No. You failed to yield at that intersection."
Me: "I'm sorry...Failed to yield to what?"
Cop: "Oncoming traffic."
Me: "Was there someone waiting at the intersection that I cut off? You followed me through the intersection..."
Cop: "No. You were supposed to wait for the green arrow."
Me: "There is no green arrow at that light."
Cop: "There is a sign that says you have to yield on green."
Me: "Well...There's not."
Cop: "Its the law that if you're turning left at an intersection, you yield to oncoming traffic."
Me: "The traffic that I observed was far enough away that I was able to complete the turn safely, and you followed me through the intersection. One of those approaching trucks looked like a cement truck or flatbed. Obviously I didn't do anything dangerous or unsafe since you followed me."
Cop: "You failed to yield."
Me: "To what?"
Cop: "Oncoming traffic."

At this point, I'm sick and tired of this back and forth. I look at him and say "Look, if you're going to write the ticket, just do it so I can be on my way and I'll see you in court."

He goes back to the car, gets momma bear out of the car (much older, much wider sgt lady). They stand there for 25 minutes, talking...Doing whatever. Finally, kiddo comes up and hands me the ticket, and momma bear gets into my passenger window.

Momma Bear: "You need to slow down."
Me: "You ticketed me for failure to yield."
Momma Bear: "Well it's my job to keep the people of this city safe."
Me: "From what exactly?"
Momma Bear: "From people like you."
Me: "Again, you followed me through that intersection with an oncoming very large truck. I didn't do anything unsafe."
Momma Bear: "You need to watch yourself and be careful."
Me: "Are you threatening me with something?"
Momma Bear: "No."
Me: "Then I'll tell ya what lady. I'll see you in court. You're god damned lucky I didn't have the forethought to record the entirety of this traffic stop. If I'm free to go, you have a nice day."

This is 100% how this traffic stop went. I'm not a criminal. I have no priors. I'm a veteran, and I still work for the Government, but for SOME REASON they decided they needed to harass me.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #38
orbitearl

Drives: 2010 r/s switchblade metalic
pick with Austin, you sound like a person that automatically judges, not saying you are. BUT I've been hassled and treated like crap by "the man" only because I drove an old work truck and left for work before dawn to feed my kids. Even when I was in a wheelchair and unable to walk, someone sideswiped my car, with 3 witnesses. Called police and got a report. Then later in the day when I went to the tag office in my county, and saw the van, called police, then confronted the driver, I found that the man had already had 3 hit and runs THAT day. They took his license and called his family to take him home. Fast forward, next day, Christmas Eve, the cop shows up and lies about a 911 hang up call from my house. I said it wasn't us, he asked my name, then said he had a warrant for my arrest. I said I wasn't going unless he told me what it was for. TERRORISTIC THREATS !!!!!!! Are you kidding??? Wife had to get me out on property bond. upon investigating this myself, I spoke to the district attorney who said " don't worry, no big deal, it'll only be a fine and probation and probation fee!" No concern at all that I wasn't guilty. Later after reviewing the paperwork I noticed the witnesses name on the warrant. I knew her! She was the district attorney's secretary. I went to her and asked how she could say I said things that I didn't. She didn't even know she was a "witness". She recounted everything I said that day and it didn't include any threats because there were none! She told the truth to the DA and it was dropped but if I hadn't investigated on my own, the very least I would have had was a large attorney bill to prove my innocence. Also been arrested two other times that I wasn't guilty. Never trust authority simply for authority's sake. Question EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE.
orbitearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #39
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I used to hate cops until I realized cops are people too, and most people suck (especially at their jobs)
Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #40
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Maybe he just wanted to have a friendly conversation about the car afterwards but you being a smartass you may have blown that opportunity to meet someone nice.
THAT is an abuse of power. Just because a cop wants to talk to you about your car gives them no justification to stop you without cause. That is arrogant on THEIR part to use their authority to literally STOP YOUR LIFE just because they dig the car if that is the case. I had that happen twice on my way to work when I drove the RX-8. It's like, I do have a life to live and to pull me over, NOT give me a ticket and your only thing to talk about is 'the cool car' I then have EVERY right to be rude. On my way to work, not hanging out, not wasting time.. actually having a place to be at. Cops are not above ANY other public facing role. No cop should be rude, I dashcam everything.

IF I am speeding I take the ticket. No problem. If I am breaking a law, again.. I will take the ticket. No rudeness or anything. Why? Because I am a grown man that knows when I am in the wrong. I usually admit to the wrong doing, let them know I could have done something different and was let off with a warning each time.

But if I am NOT in the wrong I will let a cop know that he can ticket me, but I have video proof with time, date, location, speed and that I will fight the ticket with hard evidence. I have had cops stop me because they thought they were going to get an easy win with an illegal and the moment I open my mouth and an American comes out their tunes change and they let me go. No warning, no anything. So there are cops that abuse their power. The reality is that no one in any job should abuse any power given to them. It makes the whole lot look bad. This cop was clearly wrong and didn't bother to even VERIFY the posted speed limit. Sooo who here is the douche? The cop that has an issue with being wrong or the citizen that the cop works for (yes a public servant works for the law abiding public) that informed the cop he was incorrect? Why should this citizen have to waste MORE time in court to fight a ticket because a cop was too arrogant to admit HE was indeed wrong?

Secondly, folks are far to quick to believe a cop as if the cop is not human.

I support good cops. Cops that show the shit ton I pay in taxes locally has been well spent. If I am wrong and get caught, I have no attitude. I admit wrong doing and take the consequences like a man. Most cops, aside from the ones thinking I was an illegal (I live in a predominantly latino area), have been great to me. My gripe is when they give the kid who NEVER had power or was victimized as a child by a bully or was the bully this kind of power. They tend to abuse it and visit their revenge upon others with it.

I have also had some REALLY COOL conversations with cops while getting gas or exiting a store about my car. That, I didn't mind. They weren't pulling me over, interrupting my day for no legal reason. They weren't accusing me of bullshit. They weren't even asking in an arrogant way (they were apologetic about taking my time).

So if the OP is true, one word answers when speaking with a cop on a legal matter is not smart assery. It is knowing your rights. The more you speak the more they can use against you. Had the OP said, "Nope, do you?", that would be being a smart ass.

I also don't have the temperament to deal with the general public which is why I don't do so as a job. The general public can be entitled in their behavior and I have no patience for it. Perhaps there should be a temperament screening for cops like a potential dog owner does. Does this person have the temperament to handle the public. Being off the job does NOT require being polite. A cop stops you, that cop is on the job and should behave as such. Dealing with the public as a job means dealing with their bullshit while having a smile and being professional. Cops are different, I get it, but a routine traffic stop should not have the cop behaving like an asshole. A violent criminal pursuit is a different matter when you KNOW you are dealing with a criminal.

So some of the badges on here defending their right to be wrong and punish you for it, defending bad customer service (public SERVANT. The general public are the ones paying and should be treated like any other customer), defending the 'I will find something to ticket you for' behavior need to take a backseat. How would you feel if you went to any establishment and got that treatment from someone your money is paying? Would you want to pay them? Would you be nice to them? Would you leave a generous tip? Would you expect to have them NOT reprimanded when you complained to their manager about their behavior? Remember cops, you are on the job. Act with respect and professionalism like you would expect from anyone else working a job with you as the payer. The waiters that make the most money are the waiters that can actively diffuse a negative situation, that are courteous, fun, recognize when they have made a mistake and do their jobs well. No one owes you a smile for pulling them over just because you have a badge. These are the people you work for. Act like it.

No one is telling cops that wrong doers are right. No one is telling cops to NOT do their jobs. Shit, if someone killed someone else and you have to use deadly force.... go for it. You stop someone going 64 in a 65 that you mistook for a 55... verify the speed limit before continuing. If you are wrong, suck it up like a man, apologize for the inconvenience and let the person go. You were wrong, deal with it like a man instead of like a spoiled child who cannot possibly be wrong because of a badge.

Again, no problem with a cop doing his job and doing it well. I have EVERY problem with ANYONE not doing their job or doing it poorly. Waiter, Tech Support, Cops... doesn't matter. This cop was doing his job but was wrong and instead of de-escalating his own ego he decided to further waste his customer's time. People who don't do their jobs grinds my gears.

This isn't rocket science but seems to take a book-of-a-reply to ensure the point gets across. Any cop who thinks he can be a dick because he has a badge is wrong. Period.

Last edited by LynxSSavage; 10-27-2015 at 10:26 AM.
LynxSSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #41
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSSavage View Post
THAT is an abuse of power. Just because a cop wants to talk to you about your car gives them no justification to stop you. That is arrogant on THEIR part to use their authority to literally STOP YOUR LIFE just because they dig the car if that is the case. I had that happen twice on my way to work when I drove the RX-8. It's like, I do have a life to live and to pull me over, NOT give me a ticket and your only thing to talk about is 'the cool car' I then have EVERY right to be rude. On my way to work, not hanging out, not wasting time.. actually having a place to be at. Cops are not above ANY other public facing role. No cop should be rude, I dashcam everything.

IF I am speeding I take the ticket. No problem. If I am breaking a law, again.. I will take the ticket. No rudeness or anything. Why? Because I am a grown man that knows when I am in the wrong. I usually admit to the wrong doing, let them know I could have done something different and was let off with a warning each time.

But if I am NOT in the wrong I will let a cop know that he can ticket me, but I have video proof with time, date, location, speed and that I will fight the ticket with hard evidence. I have had cops stop me because they thought they were going to get an easy win with an illegal and the moment I open my mouth and an American comes out their tunes change and they let me go. No warning, no anything. So there are cops that abuse their power. The reality is that no one in any job should abuse any power given to them. It makes the whole lot look bad. This cop was clearly wrong and didn't bother to even VERIFY the posted speed limit. Sooo who here is the douche? The cop that has an issue with being wrong or the citizen that the cop works for (yes a public servant works for the law abiding public) that informed the cop he was incorrect? Why should this citizen have to waste MORE time in court to fight a ticket because a cop was too arrogant to admit HE was indeed wrong?

Secondly, folks are far to quick to believe a cop as if the cop is not human.

I support good cops. Cops that show the shit ton I pay in taxes locally has been well spent. If I am wrong and get caught, I have no attitude. I admit wrong doing and take the consequences like a man. Most cops, aside from the ones thinking I was an illegal (I live in a predominantly latino area), have been great to me. My gripe is when they give the kid who NEVER had power or was victimized as a child by a bully or was the bully this kind of power. They tend to abuse it and visit their revenge upon others with it.

I have also had some REALLY COOL conversations with cops while getting gas or exiting a store about my car. That, I didn't mind. They weren't pulling me over, interrupting my day for no legal reason. They weren't accusing me of bullshit. They weren't even asking in an arrogant way (they were apologetic about taking my time).

So if the OP is true, one word answers when speaking with a cop on a legal matter is not smart assery. It is knowing your rights. The more you speak the more they can use against you. Had the OP said, "Nope, do you?", that would be being a smart ass.

I also don't have the temperament to deal with the general public which is why I don't do so as a job. The general public can be entitled in their behavior and I have no patience for it. Perhaps there should be a temperament screening for cops like a potential dog owner does. Does this person have the temperament to handle the public. Being off the job does NOT require being polite. A cop stops you, that cop is on the job and should behave as such. Dealing with the public as a job means dealing with their bullshit while having a smile and being professional. Cops are different, I get it, but a routine traffic stop should not have the cop behaving like an asshole. A violent criminal pursuit is a different matter when you KNOW you are dealing with a criminal.

So some of the badges on here defending their right to be wrong and punish you for it, defending bad customer service (public SERVANT. The general public are the ones paying and should be treated like any other customer), defending the 'I will find something to ticket you for' behavior need to take a backseat. How would you feel if you went to any establishment and got that treatment from someone your money is paying? Would you want to pay them? Would you be nice to them? Would you leave a generous tip? Would you expect to have them NOT reprimanded when you complained to their manager about their behavior? Remember cops, you are on the job. Act with respect and professionalism like you would expect from anyone else working a job with you as the payer. The waiters that make the most money are the waiters that can actively diffuse a negative situation, that are courteous, fun, recognize when they have made a mistake and do their jobs well. No one owes you a smile for pulling them over just because you have a badge. These are the people you work for. Act like it.

No one is telling cops that wrong doers are right. No one is telling cops to NOT do their jobs. Shit, if someone killed someone else and you have to use deadly force.... go for it. You stop someone going 64 in a 65 that you mistook for a 55... verify the speed limit before continuing. If you are wrong, suck it up like a man, apologize for the inconvenience and let the person go. You were wrong, deal with it like a man instead of like a spoiled child who cannot possibly be wrong because of a badge.

Again, no problem with a cop doing his job and doing it well. I have EVERY problem with ANYONE not doing their job or doing it poorly. Waiter, Tech Support, Cops... doesn't matter. This cop was doing his job but was wrong and instead of de-escalating his own ego he decided to further waste his customer's time. People who don't do their jobs grinds my gears.

This isn't rocket science but seems to take a book-of-a-reply to ensure the point gets across. Any cop who thinks he can be a dick because he has a badge is wrong. Period.

Very well said, couldnt agree with you more, Thank you for the support
Old 10-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #42
TXsilvy

Drives: camaro
a smile will get you guys a lot further in life. I've been pulled over more than I like to admit and I don't get too many tickets. by the time a cop makes it to my door, all of my windows are rolled down, my CHL, driver's license and insurance is in my hand, and both hands are on top of the steering wheel. smile and say hello.

cops (good and bad) enter a traffic stop with a little anxiety. they never know who is behind the wheel and what mood they are in. Sort of an expect the worst and hope for the best type mind frame which I understand given the nature of their job. remove all anxiety up front and they are usually pretty cool.

if you get a ticket, say thanks, hire a $50 lawyer and it all goes away.
TXsilvy is offline   Reply With Quote