Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
I hope this doesn't become a mess...need some advice.

Good Morning,
I make this post today to try and understand what my options are and what I should expect GM to do. It may be a little long, but please bear with me as I need some advice on how to handle this.

I picked up my new 11 SS last Saturday. It was the last remaining 11 in the country laid out the way I wanted and it was driven down from NJ to VA. When I went to take delivery of the car it could see it had swirl marks all over it and I could feel a ton of containments in the paint. It almost felt like there was sand in the clear coat. I pointed this out to the salesman and he agreed that it needed attention and wrote up a “we owe” addendum in the deal to have the car clay barred, polished and waxed to resolve that, plus a few other scratches and a very tiny ding when I bring it in for the first service.

I dropped it off on Wednesday evening and my salesman called me yesterday and said the car looked pretty good and wanted me to come and inspect it. Well needless to say the car still has a crap load of swirl marks all over on it and there is still junk in the clear coat. I can even see the contaminants when I look close and he noticed it as well. I told him I couldn’t accept the car in that condition and he said he understood and would take it to the next level and see what could be done and even get Chevy involved for a warranty issue if necessary.

First let me say I am not bashing the salesman, dealer, or Chevy. My salesman and dealer have been fantastic and so far have done everything they say they would and I am expecting that this will be handled right. However, I am a tad worried that it may become an ugly mess. I in no way want to be unreasonable or get something for nothing. I just want my $40K hotrod to be right and I shouldn’t be expected to accept a new car with a defective paint job (to be clear they have not said I should).

So what are my options to resolve this and what should I insist on and expect?
• If the car goes to a body shop can it be wet sanded and glazed to remove the crap and swirl marks?
o If so how does the affect the clear coat’s strength and life, etc?
• Should it be sanded and cleared again by a body shop?
o If so what issues can result from this? I know manufacturers use water based paints, but body shops don’t…how will that be an issue?
• Should I expect Chevy to take the car back and give me a different one?
Thanks in advance for reading my novel and any advice you give!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
First off it doesn't sound like a factory defect so GM is free and clear. What it does sound like is that you bought a car that could've been sitting on some lot for over a year and these are the effects of exposure to the elements.

You can keep getting the dealership to try and fix it but they will also continue to try and do things the cheapest way possible. It sounds as if a porter washed your car and maybe did a half-ass job of clay barring it. If it were me, I would get my car back from them and find the best detailer in your area and have them look at it. Get an estimate for the paint corrections and see if the dealership will pay for it or maybe ask them to cover half of the expense. JMHO
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
I agree with Xedes you should take it to another shop and see what they say about the paint and ask them about your concerns. Good luck and keep us posted of your out come.
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Not Far From Par

Drives: 2010 2SS RS VR
I had a similar, but not to that extreme, experience with my 10 2SS..

We picked the car up at night.. In the rain, & had to drive about 3 hours home.. the next morning when I went outside to detail, I noticed many flaws & a large scratch on the door.. I immediately called the dealership & explained, they even understood although I signed off on delivery, that we purchased in less than perfect conditions to notice anything that might be wrong with the car..
Simple solution! They instructed me to take the car to my favorite, trusted bodyshop, or detailer & send them the bill..

Well one of my clients is a nice bodyshop, took my car down to them, 20 minutes later my car was 100% perfect.. Best part was NO CHARGE!

My point I guess being, that taking your car to a professional, might be the easiest & cheapest way to get your car back to perfect
Not Far From Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Have the dealer pay for you to take it to a professional detailer.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
JRT

Thanks for the reply...
I certainly know what caused it, the dealer in NJ was under construction so I am sure the car sat on the lot for a year always dirty and that crap just baked into the clearcoat. When ever it was washed it was dirty so the dirt created all of the swirl marks.

I understand this is not a manufacturing defect, but when buying a new car isn't it up to the dealer and the manufacturer to make sure it is right? This car is new so as far as I am concerned it has defective paint. I certainly do not think that I should pay to have it repaired, I just want it right.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and see how they handle it.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Any Pictures?

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
JRT

Thanks guys for the replies. I was wondering if this could be a simple job for a detailer to fix.

Izach26, I do not have any close up pictures of the swirl marks, but I have pictures of the car here -->
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219467
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Solocus

Drives: 87 Iroc 350, 2001 SS, 45th 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I was wondering if this could be a simple job for a detailer to fix.

Izach26, I do not have any close up pictures of the swirl marks, but I have pictures of the car here -->
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219467
As everyone has said, a quality Detailer should be able to make it right. The trick might be finding a quality Detailer.

Delivered 9-29-2011 exactly 45 years to the day from the
first 1967 Camaro showing up in dealer showrooms!
Solocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If it is a new car the dealer can send it to the body shop to be wet sanded or buffed if they have one on sight or if they use a local shop. This would be covered under the warranty as it was a first registration. If it was bought used it might be another story.

I bought a new white pickup some years back and it had had railroad dust on it that was rusting and causing little red/orange spots. The dealer had their body shop wet sand it and rebuff it to remove the spots.

Bottom line if it is a good dealer they will make it right. This is warranty work and they should be bending over backward to get the easy cash from GM.

Good luck
Sarge
MCSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Same thing with my 07 Corvette. Felt like sand paper. Dealer gave me $350 to take it and have it detailed by a "pro". I should have done it myself. YES, they got the contaminants off BUT the ruined my black paint. For two years I dealt with the swirls and areas of burnt clear from the buffer. Could/should I have bitched ... probably but it looked pretty good and it is just a car. No sense in getting bent out of shape over it.

My Camaro came in with a lot of rail dust. This time I clayed it myself. No swirls.

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
MCSarge - really, you registered on camAro5.com and can't spell CamAro right in your profile?

It's not a defect, it's poor job by the previous dealership keeping the car clean. Take it to a detail shop and they'll easily make the paint look better then factory. I guess this is where I differ from a lot of new Camaro owners, I wouldn't expect the dealership to be responsible for it.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
When I took possession of my 2011 I noticed the clear coat on the driver's side door was starting to go bad (I have an extremely keen eye for this stuff) and they sent it off to a body shop to get fixed. I will have to inspect it when I return from overseas. If it is still messed up, they will be expecting me to show back up to the dealership again. Like the OP, the car I bought had probably been sitting on the lot for a good minute as well. But nothing an experienced detailer can't fix
Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
JoeyBZL454

Drives: 2010 Camaro ZL454 - White/Black
Give the car back. My dad bought a car once where there were black specks in the paint on the hood and roof. Ford tried fixing it but with no luck. When they told my dad they were going to repaint it he said absolutely not. With a lot of arguing Ford took the car back and replaced it with a new one.

Once your car gets any body work, paint work, etc. then the value of your car has just taken a big hit. I would renegotiate and tell them you want a 2012 or 2013.

That's my $0.02.
JoeyBZL454 is offline   Reply With Quote