Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Crisco

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
Plastidip

ive seen a few impressive videos about plastidip on youtube and i was wondering if that stuff really works. im still overseas so it wont do me much good now but im coming back to america in a couple months and im wondering will this be a good investment. thanks in advance
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Basemaro

Drives: 2015 BLACK LFX M/T
Good stuff. Lay it on a bit thick. Not like spray paint. It'll peel right off like a big rubber sheet.
Basemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
it works good and holds up great
I have stuff on my car from over a year ago.
and I wash it once a week
Attached Images

It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
ive seen a few impressive videos about plastidip on youtube and i was wondering if that stuff really works. im still overseas so it wont do me much good now but im coming back to america in a couple months and im wondering will this be a good investment. thanks in advance
Yeah TONS of people on this site have used it, and I've even used it to paint my wheels white, my bezels white, and I just painted a friend's wheels black! Great stuff!

P.S. The white plastidip is a much inferior product to the black. But the white does sure look better imo

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Crisco

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
i got another question you may or may not be able to answer do you think i could maybe get that stuff shipped here to germany i know its an arisol or is there an equivalent i could use im pretty impatient when it comes to things like this
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

http://www.plastidip.com/diy_where_to_buy.php

look down to where it says international retailers

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
Can plastidip be colorized in dark blue color?
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
You can make any color you want. It will be more expensive though and time consuming.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...Your_Color_Kit

Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
ive had my wheels done for around 5 months now and they are holding up great. i also did my friends 2011 5.0 wheels a few months back and they've all held up great so far. the only thing i noticed was on one of my wheels i drove through some oil/chemical or something and there is some light staining/spots. nothing anyone notices without me pointing it out. either way, honestly this stuff is so cheap and easy to use. i would highly recommend at least trying it out for yourself and developing your own opinion. if you dont like it you can just peel it off.
Attached Images

Turbonetics T76 10psi with aem truboost controller, 231/239 115 LSA Comp Cam, adm fpcm, zl1 pump, Tr7ix plugs, 3.91/1LE Gears,Melling Oil pump, custom intake, catless midpipes, powerbond 25% underdrive, PFADT Aluminum subframe bushings, 1.5 inch drop, PFADT sway bars, BMR; sub frame connectors ,Trailing arms, Toe Rods, strut tower brace and rear diff bushings, Hurst short throw shifter and line lock,dyno #s TBD, , tuned by Pat G tuning
robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
[QUOTE=robbiegordon;5161023]ive had my wheels done for around 5 months now and they are holding up great. i also did my friends 2011 5.0 wheels a few months back and they've all held up great so far. the only thing i noticed was on one of my wheels i drove through some oil/chemical or something and there is some light staining/spots. nothing anyone notices without me pointing it out. either way, honestly this stuff is so cheap and easy to use. i would highly recommend at least trying it out for yourself and developing your own opinion. if you dont like it you can just peel it off.

Wow, very nice. Am looking for an inexpensive "black" wheel for my daughter's summit white and I think she would like this. Did you have to remove the wheels to apply?? Thankx.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

[QUOTE=CaniacFan;5161784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiegordon View Post
ive had my wheels done for around 5 months now and they are holding up great. i also did my friends 2011 5.0 wheels a few months back and they've all held up great so far. the only thing i noticed was on one of my wheels i drove through some oil/chemical or something and there is some light staining/spots. nothing anyone notices without me pointing it out. either way, honestly this stuff is so cheap and easy to use. i would highly recommend at least trying it out for yourself and developing your own opinion. if you dont like it you can just peel it off.

Wow, very nice. Am looking for an inexpensive "black" wheel for my daughter's summit white and I think she would like this. Did you have to remove the wheels to apply?? Thankx.

Nope you don't have to remove them. Just get a garbage bag or 2 and wrap it around your rotor. Make sure no plastidip (rubber) can get in your breaking mechanism.

Then spray away!

If you get any overspray on your car, just use some bug and tar remover. It will wipe right off if you spray that stuff on it and let it sit for ten seconds.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=345

Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
i chose to take my wheels off and used playing cards to mask it off, i think it makes it a lot easier(less masking). but if you did leave them on even if you did have some over spray its would be easy to remove it after it dried completely. also if you do use cards make sure you pull them off before the last coat dries or you'll run the risk of it sticking to the card and peeling off of the wheel..
Attached Images

robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
what i did was i sprayed plasti dip and then i sprayed IBM paint ontop of that. it gives it that textured look