Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
LS3 Lifter problem

My car is in the shop for valve train noise issues on passenger side - not extreme, but not normal either, does not go away after start up (this is a LS3 engine).

Dealer initially said he would look into oil pressure-blockage issues on that side.

1st report back from dealer yesterday, was they have determined problem is with components associated with cylinder #6 - ruled out accessible top side components, leaving problem to be either a bad lifter or bad cam.

Report today is that the lifter roller pin broke; dealer claims GM is saying only way this could happen is over rev of engine.

I have never hit red line yet (still breaking in <1,200 miles), and only came close to red line a couple times under light acceleration - besides I thought we have a rev limiter.

Anyway if anyone knows of other instances of a lifter roller pin breaking, please let me know. I may have a fight with GM on this. :(

Last edited by edneyens; 07-14-2010 at 08:50 PM.
edneyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
edneyens

Anyone have any information?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
edneyens

Well I am heading out to dealer to get some pictures...

Will post them later.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
edneyens

Well here are some pictures.

I was surprised how big the pin is and I am amazed that it could break.

Strange thing is all of the parts were in place no missing needle bearings, no apparent damage to valve, push rod, rocker arm or cam. Quite puzzling.

Big issue is damage done by broken pin - it scraped the "lifter cylinder" as it worked its way out of the lifter. May have toasted the block.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
BillAz5.0

Drives: 2011 DOHC 5.0
Mission Control - What we have here is a factory defective LS3 lifter - the dealer should fix this engine promptly - over reved my ass !!!
BillAz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
not a car expert, but i would think the engine is supposed to be able to take high reving.

if you have few miles on your car, and the thing broke even if you were red lining, then there's something wrong with the engine and warranty should cover it.

i'd expect gm to pick this up because of the warranty. always remember, and i'm an attorney, being polite and professional always works better. don't be demanding, but stand your ground.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
edneyens

Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post
not a car expert, but i would think the engine is supposed to be able to take high reving.

if you have few miles on your car, and the thing broke even if you were red lining, then there's something wrong with the engine and warranty should cover it.

i'd expect gm to pick this up because of the warranty. always remember, and i'm an attorney, being polite and professional always works better. don't be demanding, but stand your ground.

Yes I totally agree, I am talking nicely, however insisting that I have not abused the car and have expectations of being treated fairly.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
You can clearly see the metal defect in the pin!!! It has a bad cast. I've never seen a pin brake from over revving without any other damage. I would seem to think that a bent push rod or valve would be the first indication of over rev. Even then, if it breaks the first time you over rev it, GM has put a low quality part in a high power output engine. They don't make sense. I thought these cars were built for punishment and the occasional miss shift or over rev? Man, I guess the engine is non-forgiving?
I would like to hear the engineers explanation to the theory of over revving and how this happened due to it.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm service View Post
Ed
Your issue has been discussed and resolved. Call your dealer. Welcome to the new GM and thanks for buying a Camaro.
that's a first! unless it is someone playing a prank

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
edneyens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
that's a first! unless it is someone playing a prank

Nope it doesn't seem to be a prank - got a call from my service manager telling me GM is going to put a new engine in my Camaro...

If it is a prank (the post here) it was a lucky guess.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
BillAz5.0

Drives: 2011 DOHC 5.0
One of the guys at a reputable performance speed shop informed me that the lifters have occasionally been know fail due to pin slippage and are 'assembled' in Mexico. He also used the word cheap to describe them but I have never personally experienced problems with previous LS1/LS2s. Maybe the assembler was hungover and used a BFH to install the lifter pin !
BillAz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
wasnt there a tsb for the Ls3 lifters a while back?
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote