Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #57
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper,redz View Post
...I'm gonna buy some I see no reason to pay more than twice the price for a header . It's a header not a cam or heads it's just tubular metal ....
Do you honestly beleive header size, shape, and bending doesn't matter?? Maybe you need to look at some performance numbers. ANd if you beleive that why even buy headers to begin with.

Quote:
I find it funny how people talk so much shit about OBX headers but never comment on the ones being sold by clear image or oversteering.( which need to be dimpled or beaten with a freaken hammer to clear the steering shaft) Seems like the propaganda machine is cranked up and running
I am against any company that sales 2nd rate goods, bad customers service ratings, has to use shadow company names to do busniess or steals from others.

Bottom line..run what you want..if it works for you cool.
If it fails and your out money, car or whatever then its on you because failed hed warning signs or company history.

Just remember a "smart" (not cheap) shopper gathers all information then makes a informed choice.
Cheap Shoppers buy whatever their wallet says is ok.

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #58
viper,redz

Drives: 99z28
I have looked at performance number and the look the same as any other $1000+ header out there . I have money that's not a problem but spending that much more on a product that performs almost the same and made out the same stainless material is silly IMO . Hey if you wanna play the look how much I spent game go right ahead . It should not matter to any of you what other people put on the car that they pay for .
viper,redz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #59
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Lets put it this way, I dont have alot of mod money...have bills to pay and wife to care for. So when it comes to modding my car, I choose to save when I can as long as it wont hurt my car. So OBX is a good choice for a guy like me, because it leaves me with the extra cash for a cold air! I would never buy cheap rocker arms, or rod bolts ect. But as far as headers go, for the money you cant beat them. Its not a moving part and If a weld were to brake its an easy fix and would have no effect on damaging my ride. If I had the money then I would buy better, but I dont and I am not going to wast it on headers when I could have that extra money for a cam, cold air, drag radials ect.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #60
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Alright everyone. Even though the argument is giving me something to read while I'm over here in the beautiful vacation land of Sandystan. The point of this thread is for people to post problems that they have had with OBXR headers. Not to start the age old argument of why some people won't buy these headers and some people wouldn't pass them up.
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #61
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
I think the whole OBX knock off thing is out of control. I look at it this way KOOK's, ARH and Stainlessworks are all premium brands. But in today's economy every consumer is looking for the best bang for the buck and are willing to deal with trade-off's. I personally run ARH products on my cars because I have a proven track record with them. But I wont knock anyone who buys Kooks, OBX, or any of the others. These threads have gone way over board and have lost their technical relevance. The bottom line is Kooks, ARH and the bigger players are not going anywhere but each product including OBX has its place in the market.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #62
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky10 View Post
....The point of this thread is for people to post problems that they have had with OBXR headers...
As I said in my post, I could not find any, however doesn't mean they aren't any. Just none that has been electronically posted somewhere.
OBX does have a LLLOOONNNGGG list of other parts that have ALOT of complaints concerning issues from fit, manufacturing, and performance.
However, as I posted the BBB has complaints against the company, and I can not find out what those where about without paying money.

Quote:
I dont have alot of mod money...have bills to pay and wife to care for. So when it comes to modding my car, I choose to save when I can as long as it wont hurt my car.
I feel your pain. But I have seen bad headers cause valve damage and even fire in a freind of mine car. Heck on my 78 I had some knockoff headers and the flange cracked and started leaking sending that exhaust gas under the car...and then into the passenger compartment...talk about a headache. So the statement "There only headers.." is a dangerous statement any performace guy will tell you that.

Quote:
I think the whole OBX knock off thing is out of control. I look at it this way KOOK's, ARH and Stainlessworks are all premium brands. But in today's economy every consumer is looking for the best bang for the buck and are willing to deal with trade-off's.
'nuff said

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #63
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky10 View Post
Alright everyone. Even though the argument is giving me something to read while I'm over here in the beautiful vacation land of Sandystan. The point of this thread is for people to post problems that they have had with OBXR headers. Not to start the age old argument of why some people won't buy these headers and some people wouldn't pass them up.
I really don't think you are going to find any problems just yet as the product hasn't been out long enough. Ask again in a year or two.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #64
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I ran the LPP headers on my old 09 Corvette. Great quality and price! I will be buying OBX for my new Camaro when the time comes.
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #65
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Okay..so lets talk in hypotheticals.

A similar market is guitars. Paul Reed Smith for instance makes very high end, expensive guitars. There was demand for a lower priced version of their product, so they came out with their "SE" (student edition) line. These guitars are made in Korea (probaly the highest quality in Asia), and come without many of the fancy things and finishes the US made version does. For their price range however, they are nicer than pretty much everything out there. They are inspected by a PRS american employee, and come with a PRS warranty. Despite being a entry level product, they still are slightly more expensive than say a Mexican strat because they are nicer.

What if a company like Kooks to a similar path. A lower end line, where it is not hidden that they are made overseas, and they do not have the fancy CNC work, merge collectors, off road only, and so forth. They would be stainless, and made in a higher quality place like Korea also. They also would come with a shorter than lifetime warranty, but would be inspected by a Kooks employee, and come with their support. Say in the $600 range for a set.

How would you guys react to that? Basically, I do get that some people will simply not spend $1000 on headers, however a lot of the nice work, and making them in the US creates that price point. I don't think it makes sense as a premium manufactuer to just sit on your hand while other make cheap imitations of you designs. I have not discussed anything, and am in no way talking for them. It likely would never happen. I just want to examine a hypothetical and see how it would be received.

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 01-31-2011 at 03:49 PM.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #66
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
I would bet they would sell more of them then there better set, as long as they were 1 7/8s. If they were 1 3/4 I dont think it would be worth it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #67
VictorySS
Edit now 5th Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Okay..so lets talk in hypotheticals.

A similar market is guitars. Paul Reed Smith for instance makes very high end, expensive guitars. There was demand for a lower priced version of their product, so they came out with their "SE" (student edition) line. These headers are made in Korea (probaly the highest quality in Asia), and come without many of the fancy things and finishes the US made version does. For their price range however, they are nicer than pretty much everything out there. They are inspected by a PRS american employee, and come with a PRS warranty. Despite being a entry level product, they still are slightly more expensive than say a Mexican strat because they are nice./

What if a company like Kooks to a similar path. A lower end line, where it is not hidden that they are made overseas, and they do not have the fancy CNC work, merge collectors, off road only, and so forth. They would be stainless, and made in a higher quality place like Korea also. They also would come with a shorter than lifetime warranty, but would be inspected by a Kooks employee, and come with their support. Say in the $600 range for a set.

How would you guys react to that? Basically, I do get that some people will simply not spend $1000 on headers, however a lot of the nice work, and making them in the US creates that price point. I don't think it makes sense as a premium manufactuer to just sit on your hand while other make cheap imitations of you designs. I have not discussed anything, and am in no way talking for them. It likely would never happen. I just want to examine a hypothetical and see how it would be received.
Ill be the first one to buy a set if they droped there price to $600 with connection pipes
VictorySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #68
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorySS View Post
Ill be the first one to buy a set if they droped there price to $600 with connection pipes
Even if they were made overseas?
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #69
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I think there is a bigger market for this than many realize. I have the Kooks but many would go for the less expensive version. Kooks should be looking at this a little further IMO.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #70
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
I really don't think you are going to find any problems just yet as the product hasn't been out long enough. Ask again in a year or two.
Exactly the product and the car have been out less than 2-3 years...give it time.

Some people have legit reasons to buy the OBX...some people just cannot under any circumstance throw 1k down and pay to install or tune...I understand that. But don't sit here and say the quality is exactly the same. Also if many did the research they would realize maryland offers kooks for under 1k. Please save the "they are 1300-1500 dollars". They aren't if you actually look...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote