Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #43
Veritasz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach@ExtremePerformance View Post
If you are going with speakers of that caliber, you may want to consider something like a Bit One or the Zapco processor. IF you (or someone you have access to) can tune well, you can get some really good results. It will run more (both for the processor itself and the tuning, since it takes longer to do it by hand) but in the right hands, can give you excellent sound and some tailored presets, too.
I have looked at the bit one but not the zappco unit. I own a 1/3 octave RTA and have ALOT of experience tuning systems (97,98.99,2000,02,03,04 IASCA World Finalist). I was a competitor when JBL was beta testing these units. What it does and how it does it is a little different than the bit..At least Andy from JBL says it does. I'll probably stick with the JBL piece. I'm sure I can make it sound pretty good..
Veritasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #44
Hooper
Camaroholic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone587 View Post
Hooper,

I will be doing my installation with the ms-8 along with other components this weekend. I will post pictures and provide installation assistance if needed.
Man this thread is getting more friggin beautiful all the time! Thanks tbone that will be stellar info. Have a ball...
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #45
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso View Post
Even if the ms-8 cannot handle both front and rear inputs, why wouldn't you guys just use the rear pair of rca's instead of the front rca's?
Because then you lose bluetooth & onstar sound (that goes to the front speakers; back up sensors go to the rear). If you want them both, gotta hook in both F & R.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #46
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasz View Post
What it does and how it does it is a little different than the bit..At least Andy from JBL says it does. I'll probably stick with the JBL piece. I'm sure I can make it sound pretty good..
Main difference from other units is the Logic7. Done right (center that can match the left and right), it can do some neat things. And Andy W is a guru, no doubt.

You are still somewhat limited to what the machine wants to do on the overall auto tune. You can adjust it some, but you may (or may not!) miss the level of control that you are used to.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #47
Veritasz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The main domain the ms 8 controls is the phase of the drivers in relation to freequency (or so I'm told). Kind of like the older analog PPI piece but more advanced in the digital domain. True you don't have access to it but I feel like this is the real tool in this unit. Like all units I'm sure it will have it's limitations but I'm going to try this piece..I'm sure I can get a good sounding system with this while using the factory head unit..
Veritasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #48
Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach@ExtremePerformance View Post
Main difference from other units is the Logic7. Done right (center that can match the left and right), it can do some neat things. And Andy W is a guru, no doubt.

You are still somewhat limited to what the machine wants to do on the overall auto tune. You can adjust it some, but you may (or may not!) miss the level of control that you are used to.
Yeah, the bitone gives you almost unlimited tuning flexibility but there's no auto-tune so the setup takes a lot longer. The MS8 is supposed to tune everything for you in one quick setup process... I worked with the MS8 for quite a while and could never dial it in like I liked.

I swapped it out for a bitone and got it pretty close to where I want it with less frustration than I had with the MS-8. But you need an RTA, a laptop, time, and knowledge of things like crossover points, slopes, frequency response, time alignment, and some tuning experience to be effective with the bitone. The alpine imprint is a cheaper option to the MS8 with similar auto-tune capabilities; just has less custom configuration options than the ms8 and no logic 7.

Note: Logic 7 works best if you have a center speaker that's the same size and amp'd with the same power as your Front L&R speakers. That stock 3.5 we have in the Camaro hooked up to the MS8's amp won't cut it for you.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #49
tbone587

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Well after working on my car everyday after work for the past week and a half I got my system done. Only bummer is my subwoofer enclosure does not fit in my trunk unless the floor is removed:( I had a lot of trouble initially getting the audio to sound good with the ms-8, but after adjusting my gains with a volt meter to send out 24.5 v ac and calibrating the unit properly it sounds incredible! Even without a subwoofer it sounds crystal clear and very detailed. I was also able to retain my bluetooth, onstar, and backup sensors while completely removing the boston acoustic amplifier.
tbone587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #50
SWEET SYNERGY

Drives: 2010 Synergy Edition 2002 SOM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post
Yes, I'm sure. It just increases the amount of processing the ms8 has to do, but there's no harm in doing it. Put a quick disconnect on the rear high-level wires and try running the setup with and without them connected if you have any concerns for whatever reason.
Duper thats awesome. I never even thought of doing that. By reading the manual it seems like the processor would implode if you sent more inputs to it. Ill give it a shot how you suggested. So even though it eats up processing power the end result is the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone587 View Post
Well after working on my car everyday after work for the past week and a half I got my system done. Only bummer is my subwoofer enclosure does not fit in my trunk unless the floor is removed:( I had a lot of trouble initially getting the audio to sound good with the ms-8, but after adjusting my gains with a volt meter to send out 24.5 v ac and calibrating the unit properly it sounds incredible! Even without a subwoofer it sounds crystal clear and very detailed. I was also able to retain my bluetooth, onstar, and backup sensors while completely removing the boston acoustic amplifier.
Glad to hear your happy with the results Tbone. I also installed mine over the weekend but am still trying to get it dialed in. I have an amp running my fronts with passive crossovers, the ms8 running the rears, and a separate monoblock for my sub. Im having trouble getting everything level matched. The ms8 powered speakers are always louder than my amped speakers. Even after turning up gains on amp till the point I get a hiss (gains too high). I will get it, just need some time. Hopefully Saturday.

Also once you add a sub alot of people have a problem with losing alot of midbass from the fronts, also a problem Im experiencing.
SWEET SYNERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #51
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have the MS-8, but I haven't had a chance to properly tune it. Seems pretty good with what I have played with it. Sounds like you guys have done more tweaking with the unit.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #52
Duper

Yeah, same net result, sweet synergy. Give it a listen.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #53
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEET SYNERGY View Post
Also once you add a sub alot of people have a problem with losing alot of midbass from the fronts, also a problem Im experiencing.
I have this problem as well. Is there any info on how to correct it?
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #54
tbone587

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I gotta get my pictures together but I am going to posts them sooner than later. I cant believe how good this sounds. I have always had nice amps and speakers and a good deck, but never had a processor. It makes a huge difference. I definitely spent a couple days calibrating over and over again and adjusting crossovers, but it is now where i want it to be. All I need now is to get a new sub box when I have the money to get some more bass.
tbone587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #55
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post
Yeah, the bitone gives you almost unlimited tuning flexibility but there's no auto-tune so the setup takes a lot longer. The MS8 is supposed to tune everything for you in one quick setup process... I worked with the MS8 for quite a while and could never dial it in like I liked.

I swapped it out for a bitone and got it pretty close to where I want it with less frustration than I had with the MS-8. But you need an RTA, a laptop, time, and knowledge of things like crossover points, slopes, frequency response, time alignment, and some tuning experience to be effective with the bitone. The alpine imprint is a cheaper option to the MS8 with similar auto-tune capabilities; just has less custom configuration options than the ms8 and no logic 7.

Note: Logic 7 works best if you have a center speaker that's the same size and amp'd with the same power as your Front L&R speakers. That stock 3.5 we have in the Camaro hooked up to the MS8's amp won't cut it for you.
That pretty well sums it up. I like tuning (especially as you get closer and closer to done, and get to spend more and more time doing "quality control" ) so I tend to gravitate to pieces like the Bits, Alpine F1's & 700/701's, etc. The Imprint H650 & 660 do actually do pretty nice jobs for the money, you are right. I tend to go in and play with rear levels and delays after the fact, plus (as they tell you in the directions) turn the sub back up, but overall they give a nice result for the price.
And doing center RIGHT (as you described it) is always good practice. I'm with you there!
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #56
SWEET SYNERGY

Drives: 2010 Synergy Edition 2002 SOM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciandrew View Post
I have this problem as well. Is there any info on how to correct it?
Im trying to figure it out myself. theres a 240 page thread on diyma about the ms8 processor. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...essor-238.htmlTheres a good 20 pages about how to get better midbass. Some people used different work arounds like not running your sub through the ms8, or split it off the front outputs on the ms8 (youll need an amp with crossovers to do it this way). Others just played with crossover settings, and sweep levels. Anyway you should check the thread out. Over the fist 100 pages is all before the unit came out, so theres alot of useless info, but theres also a great deal of invaluable info too.

I think I have gains at about the correct level now (they recommend 2v, doesnt have to be exact), so Im going to try different sweep levels and possibly wire system differently. Im also going to try once without the sub and see the result. I know its supposed to be a plug and play processor, but theres so many different variables while tuning (gain, crossover, power difference between 4ch, sub amp, and ms8 amp) on top of the fact everyone has different setups and every vehicle is different, makes for alot of unknowns. I will play more over the weekend and can hopefully give some clearer answers or suggestions.
SWEET SYNERGY is offline   Reply With Quote