Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
It isnt good for your engine to run with such drastic changes in air/fuel ratio, that was the reason for my response, not the HP gain as you are right it is minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
A tune made VERY little my intake/header car(5-10hp) . Ran it for 2 years no tune, if it wasn't for the darn cel I would left it alone .
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
styphon

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
Such is life.

-Street Racing is illegal
-Smoking indoors is illegal
-Doing burnouts is illegal
-Speeding is illegal

What isnt illegal? Where do you stop with the morality of it all?

The bottom line is, if you want to keep LT's and pass inspection, you'll need a tune.

Just as an FYI, because THAT tuner told you "tuning out 1133 and 1153 is illegal" would ensure i never let that guy EVER tune my car. This is a COMMON issue with having longtubes/modified exhaust/cats/etc.

With a proper tune(r), they will FORCE emissions readiness in the tune. HP Tuners, EFI Live, etc all have the ability to do this and tell the ECU to not trip a CEL/Fault for P01133, P01153, P0420 & P0421. Any good tuner should know this.

They wouldnt put the feature in the tuning software if it wasnt required when tuning for certain/specific mods, like longtubes.
I thought that was wierd - he was acting like I was asking him to violate sacred laws. He suggested I "pay him the fine + tuning costs" "just in case"

Taking your advice, I called another tuner that is about the same distance away - he uses HP tuner software - and I played dumb about the codes. He seemed to realize that you have to "lower the sensitivity" of the sensors to prevent these codes. I think I am going with him.
styphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #17
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by styphon View Post
I thought that was wierd - he was acting like I was asking him to violate sacred laws. He suggested I "pay him the fine + tuning costs" "just in case"

Taking your advice, I called another tuner that is about the same distance away - he uses HP tuner software - and I played dumb about the codes. He seemed to realize that you have to "lower the sensitivity" of the sensors to prevent these codes. I think I am going with him.

Glad you got a better response from the second guy. Sad some people represent themselves as something they arent. Good luck man!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
yes you do have to change it in the tune to be less sensitive as my tuner said the sensitivity from like 2012 up was tuned up on the ECU..thus I threw those codes after 40 miles, and it took him 30 seconds to fix the issue with his h.p. lap top tuning software.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #19
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
It isnt good for your engine to run with such drastic changes in air/fuel ratio, that was the reason for my response, not the HP gain as you are right it is minimal.
Drastic ?
The a/f were in the 12's pre tune , the graph is just expanded to see the a/f better.