Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #43
GeorgeM

Drives: 2016 2SS, Yellowjacket, A8
The clutch is tricky, takeup is high and abrupt.

I owned a 2008 Mustang GT prior to buying my Camaro and the clutch in the Mustang was much easier to drive. Takeup started close to the floor and was smooth, but it only had 300 hp!

I think the problem has more to do with the big 20" wheels and the 3.45 gear than anything else, no doubt due to MPG regulations. The car needs a 3.73 gear with 19" wheels.

GeorgeM
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #44
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
My clutch was really annoying, however after 500/600 miles and getting used to it, it feels much better

When you're really good in a past life, you come back as yourself

mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #45
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
The clutch is tricky, takeup is high and abrupt.

I owned a 2008 Mustang GT prior to buying my Camaro and the clutch in the Mustang was much easier to drive. Takeup started close to the floor and was smooth, but it only had 300 hp!

I think the problem has more to do with the big 20" wheels and the 3.45 gear than anything else, no doubt due to MPG regulations. The car needs a 3.73 gear with 19" wheels.

GeorgeM
you're right...since I installed 4.10's, it's easier to drive.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #46
silencertk

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
Hey was there ever a final verdict whether its harmful to remove the spring or not?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #47
Synner

Drives: cars
People are adding stiffer springs to prevent clutch lockup and pedal to the floor syndrome under hard driving so I'd say it's a very bad idea. It's there to assist the hydraulic system. If it starts to stick part of the way down you'll burn your clutch up in no time.

No thanks.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #48
silencertk

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
Damn was really hoping for an easy fix for the clutch engaging so far up "top". Im just used to alot softer/more clutch travel
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #49
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
I've suffered from a stiff, awkward clutch pedal for quite some time. I removed the return spring tonight & will see how it works tomorrow.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #50
km9v

I removed the spring & the feel is much more linear. The pedal effort is only slightly less, but I have much better control over the release.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #51
km9v

Another thing that helped clutch feel was flush, fill, bleed the brake/clutch fluid. Feel like a normal clutch now.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #52
Machinist

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS/RS
This clutch is tricky and I'm having a hard time getting used to it. I learned to drive a stick in a kenworth with a 10 speed when I was 10-11 yrs old, Im 43 :( What makes it even worse is that my legs are too short and the floor board is like a mile away.

I think im going to try removing the spring.
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #53
Hooper
Camaroholic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by truespartan View Post
After talking to one of my friends who is an engineer for a major car company I have decided to put the spring back on.

He says on some, actually most, hydraulic clutches the clutch does not engage fast so the spring helps with the engagement. Actually he says it its probably necessary that the spring stays on for the clutch to engage all the way. He says if Chevy decided to put the spring in there for this purpose it should be left in.

Just his 2 cents. Im going to follow them
The clutch return spring has nothing to do with the clutch engaging properly, but rather it is purely to protect the throwout bearing and clutch assembly from premature wear from drivers riding the clutch. Although most drivers may not ride the clutch, the addition of the spring will help prevent many clutch warranty claims. If you remove the spring you will see that the clutch pedal extends out to full length no problem.

The clutch pedal feel on this car is awful. The pedal springiness and stiffness peaks right at the catch point, which makes it very difficult to clutch it smoothly and is also uncomfortable to drive. I could live with it if I had to, but it is an obvious GM engineering flaw (just like the worthless radio controls on the right side of the steering wheel rather than the left). I removed my spring today and am astonished how much better the car drives. The clutch pedal still extends to full position easily without the spring, and I don't ride the clutch either so it will not cause any problems. I have heard that some of the Vette guys do this first thing on the brand new Vettes.

For all of you considering this, try it and you will likely be very happy. You can always put it back on later if you wish. The only reason I would not recommend it is if you do realize you ride your clutch, then leave it in place and get used to it.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #54
llw1946

Drives: 2013 black ZL1 camaro convertible
Red face HYDRAULIC CLUTCH

I AM 68 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN DRIVING MANUAL TRANS CARS SINCE I WAS 15 YEARS OLD.I THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THE CLUTCH OR IT WAS ME.ALL THE CARS I HAVE DRIVEN WITH MANUAL TRANS THE CLUTCH ALWAYS WOULD GRAB OFF THE FLOOR.I WILL JUST HAVE TO GET USE TO THE CLUTCH . ZL1 6 SPEED
llw1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #55
mstanford.us
Mark Stanford

Drives: Black 2010 SS LS3
Clutch pedal sticking to floor on hard launches is a design problem, at least in the 2010 SS clutch. Neither of my aftermarket clutches displayed even a whisper of this problem, even when flogging them through full seasons of drag racing. At the strip is where I first had the clutch on floor problem with 4500 rpm launches. Immediately replaced it after that experience. As for the spring, I don't even know if my 2010 has one. Obviously I've not removed mine ;-)

Anyone who says clutch dust in the hydraulic fluid causes this is clueless.
CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" 3", LG G6X3, Remote tune by Ted Jannetty JRE God of Tuning, ID 8500 injectors, ZL1 Fuel system, BMR, Yellaterra, Lunati Valve train, Street Slayer Carbon Twin. Numbers pending Dyno test.
mstanford.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #56
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
i actually learned on my Camaro SS M6. It was hard, but definitely worth it!
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote