Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #127
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I think those Chi-town pot holes are gonna get you before a gator does

We're talking about tread delamination, typically from heat issues the tire tread (on just about ANY vehicle, including CARS) can separate from the tire casing.

And you're still following too close.
Lawyered
Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #128
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
Won't ever happen. Too many dollars at stake, and the truckers union lobbyists have more power then any stupid online petition.
+1 and I don't want the extra junk mail that comes along with providing my personal information.

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #129
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
No worries - I just saw the us mail services is gonna stop delivering mail real soon. Jk

I have never heard of a virgin tire Loosing it's tread and leaving the casing behind.I have heard and seen retreads becoming delaminated.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #130
formare
The Milano

Come up with a formula for a safe distance to be from those retreads when they delaminate and I'll happily follow it...

Quote:
I think those Chi-town pot holes are gonna get you before a gator does

We're talking about tread delamination, typically from heat issues the tire tread (on just about ANY vehicle, including CARS) can separate from the tire casing.

And you're still following too close.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #131
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
My father once hit one of these retreads in his Accord and it got lodged under the front bumper and ripped apart the whole underside.

I ride and I don't even want to think of the damage it would cause me if I hit one of them.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #132
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
No worries - I just saw the us mail services is gonna stop delivering mail real soon. Jk

I have never heard of a virgin tire Loosing it's tread and leaving the casing behind.I have heard and seen retreads becoming delaminated.
most of what you see on the road is"virgin tires" not caps.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #133
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Can you imagine if retreads were available for passenger cars?

Just wait until a politician's family member is kill by a retread.

you can get them for passenger cars. Some of my family owns a retreading company and have been doing it for racecars since the '40s.... as long as they're done right, they're perfectly safe. Most of the rubber you see out on the roads aren't even from retreads
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #134
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
I drive 50-60k a year and I have to dodge retread debris more than anything else on the road. If the chunks are large enough they can damage your car or cause you to crash. I wish they make these damn things illegal it make my commutes a lot easier.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #135
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
This was an interesting day for road debris...

First, was a cheap tarp, you know the kind, those blue ones you buy at wally world and don't know how to tie down so they fly off 30 minutes into your trip.

Next was a front fascia off of (most likely) an SUV...

Then came what appeared to be someones trash scattered all over the highway.

Then the best of all, a ladder, but we'll get back to that...

Actually saw a gator, in the fast lane, but no one would stop to move it, just like all the other crap in the road.

Someone lost some plywood off the back of their vehicle, that stuff can do some damage if it gets lifted as you go over it.

OK, back to the goodie... someone lost a really nice aluminum ladder, probably not so much lost it as was afraid to go back and get it after it caused a 3 car accident. First was a red sub compact that tried to stop, then came the van that was following too close, and rear-ended the car. THEN next in line was the mid-size car that whacked the van in the ass.

Most likely in the above situation, the red car received no violation, but odds are the van and mid-size got tickets for following too close.

Keep on telling me how dangerous gators are, but I would recommend you quit tail-gating before you get yourself in more trouble than you have the talent to get out of.

A good rule of thumb (as I mentioned in a previous post) is give yourself 2 seconds reaction time +120 feet.... or to make it easy, never follow closer than 3 seconds.

OR you can do like all the others, and blame the accident on everything/everyone but your driving habits.

This post isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but if you tend to follow too close.... you might take it to heart.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #136
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
This was an interesting day for road debris...

First, was a cheap tarp, you know the kind, those blue ones you buy at wally world and don't know how to tie down so they fly off 30 minutes into your trip.

Next was a front fascia off of (most likely) an SUV...

Then came what appeared to be someones trash scattered all over the highway.

Then the best of all, a ladder, but we'll get back to that...

Actually saw a gator, in the fast lane, but no one would stop to move it, just like all the other crap in the road.

Someone lost some plywood off the back of their vehicle, that stuff can do some damage if it gets lifted as you go over it.

OK, back to the goodie... someone lost a really nice aluminum ladder, probably not so much lost it as was afraid to go back and get it after it caused a 3 car accident. First was a red sub compact that tried to stop, then came the van that was following too close, and rear-ended the car. THEN next in line was the mid-size car that whacked the van in the ass.

Most likely in the above situation, the red car received no violation, but odds are the van and mid-size got tickets for following too close.

Keep on telling me how dangerous gators are, but I would recommend you quit tail-gating before you get yourself in more trouble than you have the talent to get out of.

A good rule of thumb (as I mentioned in a previous post) is give yourself 2 seconds reaction time +120 feet.... or to make it easy, never follow closer than 3 seconds.

OR you can do like all the others, and blame the accident on everything/everyone but your driving habits.

This post isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but if you tend to follow too close.... you might take it to heart.
thank you.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #137
formare
The Milano

Ps - nhtsb study suggests that 68% of road debris is from retreads.

The items you mentioned on the road were illegal to have been placed there - we have laws to protect us from that debris. Oh wait, wait... The retreads on the road aren't illegal everything else is illegal my bad.

If painters across this country were somehow losing ladders at the rate these retreads are failing then I would also push for legislation to save us from ladders. I got nothing against the trucking industry or the retread industry in general. Figure out a a way to stop throwing things at us and we can all get along.

We have a fix - after many beers and hours of deep bar conversation... Here it is:

Embed a serial number unto the underside of every single retread cap. Record the owner of the serial number as it is sold. Now, we have a way to hold accountable the ass hat that is hurting are cars by suing the individual that left his tire in our path.... Just like the guy with the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
thank you.
I truly do believe you - if the technology is applied correctly and the tire is maintained it will likely work as intended. A quick trip down any highway tells us something is wrong, very very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
you can get them for passenger cars. Some of my family owns a retreading company and have been doing it for racecars since the '40s.... as long as they're done right, they're perfectly safe. Most of the rubber you see out on the roads aren't even from retreads

Last edited by formare; 07-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.
formare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #138
formare
The Milano

At 70mph (legal limit) you are traveling at about 100 feet per second give or take. In 3 seconds you just traveled 300 feet. Add that to the 120 you suggest and I get 420 feet. That's about 30 car lengths give or take?

You are suggesting that we all drive 30 car lengths from the vehicle in front of us and we should be able drive around the retreads on the highway safely?

Quote:

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #139
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
I had one of these come off in front of me and take half my bumper off on my GTO last year.

SIGNED!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #140
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post

i have had 5 of 6 virgin tires on a tri-axel camper that blew in the same summer. the first one that blew we hadn't noticed for quite awhile. i don't know if the thread came off that one, but there were rubber marks 6 feet above the wheel well. we were going through a construction zone when it blew, and hadn't noticed until 10 miles down the road. tore the side of the trailer up pretty bad though. i cant remember where the second one blew. the third and 4th ones blew on i-94 in illinois on the same trip. luckily we thought ahead and brought 3 spares along lol. the 5th one i know for sure the thread completely separated in one piece. i might have a pic somewhere, but i would have to look. the tires where 5 years old when this happened. but if you own an Open Road camper, watch your tires. cuss im not the only one having these problems with Open Roads..
Attached Images

Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote