Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #43
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Also, outlawing retreads wouldn't just increase freight charges. Every single item/product in the country would double in price (at least). Example. It costs more for a truck company to deliver gas to your local station, thus gas prices sky rocket to compensate for the increased freight charges. Your local Safeway or Wholefoods has to triple the cost of fruits and vegetables because the cost to get new shipments in every week or so is crippling them. I could continue but I am sure you get the point. Unless you were able to live on a farm and be completely self-reliant, outlawing retreads would burn your wallet, your checking account, and your savings accoutn up in a matter of months.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #44
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Good point - we may actually have to revert back to using rail to move goods long distances, boy that would really fowl up the highways, oh wait a sec..... Joking.

How much are we really talking per mile when comparing cost of retread vs new? 12 cents, maybe? That seems kinda of high to me but we can go with that. Average mileage for a given product? Maybe 500? Number of products in a given shipment? Fair to say hundreds maybe even thousands. Guess it depends on the product.

An exponential cost increase - seems unlikely.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Also, outlawing retreads wouldn't just increase freight charges. Every single item/product in the country would double in price (at least). Example. It costs more for a truck company to deliver gas to your local station, thus gas prices sky rocket to compensate for the increased freight charges. Your local Safeway or Wholefoods has to triple the cost of fruits and vegetables because the cost to get new shipments in every week or so is crippling them. I could continue but I am sure you get the point. Unless you were able to live on a farm and be completely self-reliant, outlawing retreads would burn your wallet, your checking account, and your savings accoutn up in a matter of months.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #45
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashauler View Post
New tires fail just as easy as recaps. Most recaps fail because they are under inflated. I oversee the maintenance of 400 trucks and if I had to purchase virgin tires we would go broke. In the trash business you dont wear tires out you ruin them.
most of what you see on the road is new tires not retread. most tires are well over 400.00 each a recap is about 150.00 to cap someones casing. think about it.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #46
formare
The Milano

If a virgin tire were fail in a manner to leave a strip of tread on the highway wouldn't the wheel it was on only have the sidewalls left? I have never seen a flat tire that was missing it's tread and only had the side walls left?

My math shows, based on these costs, that the cost of virgin vs retread is less that 8 cents per mile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob vogel View Post
most of what you see on the road is new tires not retread. most tires are well over 400.00 each a recap is about 150.00 to cap someones casing. think about it.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #47
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Agreed, but what if you are on an 8 lane superslab and the truck throws the retread onto your car as you are carefully passing?

Sue his A$$ .. everyone else does... you should also read previous posts better, they may have answered your question

Also, when hitting that dead animal we tossed onto the highway kills the occupants of the vehicle shouldn't you make it illegal to throw the dead animal into the highway?
I think anyone that swerves to avoid a dead carcass in the road and kills themselves should be required to take drivers ed. all over again.

You would be amazed how many problems SMART DRIVING will cure. Until then, let's keep making more laws, putting up more guardrails, walls and cables so the idiots won't take the rest of us with them.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #48
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
http://www.bestonetire.com/page/show...treading-myths

Cost Savings
Tires represent the 3rd largest item in the operating budget, right after labor and fuel costs. A retread tire costs less to produce than a new tire, and is 30% and 50% of the comparable new tire price. Retreaded truck tires represent a savings of over $3 billion dollars annually for truckers and trucking companies in North America.

Recycle Old Tires
You can reuse old tires' casings multiple times. Reusing old tires' casings at least twice reduces tire costs by 50%.

Environmentally Friendly
It takes 22 gallons of oil to manufacture one new truck tire. Most of the oil is found in the casing, which is reused in the retreading process. As a result, it takes only 7 gallons of oil to produce a retread. Considering that the overall tire market for transit and commercial busses is about 430,000 to 470,000 units annually, retreading conserves millions of gallons of oil every year.

While I'm usually not one to ask people to click links. I'd suggest this read.
ATC%20December%20newsletter.pdf

You may not believe that retreads would lead to an exponential cost increase for the entire free market, but I beg to differ. It is considered that retreads are half the cost of new tires. So now, if you would entertain my idea for a minute here. Let's find a comparable way for you to experience paying double for something car related. Let's pick gas. For just six months, I'd like you to pay double the price for gas.

Yes, it is just one small thing that shouldn't affect the rest of your life. But I bet that after the first month or so, you're starting to feel your fill ups. Pretty soon I'd even bet that you would debate driving somewhere because you didn't want to fill up sooner than you have to.

While this isn't a perfect analogy, it is one that sort of works. I couldn't use tires because then you would have to drive the same amount as a trucker to really get it. Thus I picked gas, something that you would go through in roughly a similar schedule as truckers go through tires.

EDIT: also, congrats on the 10,000 post.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #49
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY
...this is my addiction!

Drives: SOLD
its not happening

I work with thousands of trucks per shift at the 2nd largest seaport in the country and i have seen some screwed up looking retreads but if the trucks were to use brand new tires every time they wear out, the prices of our food and supply will rise significantly. Good luck with your petition and i respect you for fighting this but the truckers and longshoremans unions have more power then u can ever imagine, trust me
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #50
formare
The Milano

Amen brother - now if we can just keep the idiots from throwing things at while we drive down these free and open roads we should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I think anyone that swerves to avoid a dead carcass in the road and kills themselves should be required to take drivers ed. all over again.

You would be amazed how many problems SMART DRIVING will cure. Until then, let's keep making more laws, putting up more guardrails, walls and cables so the idiots won't take the rest of us with them.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #51
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:

Cost Savings
Tires represent the 3rd largest item in the operating budget, right after labor and fuel costs. A retread tire costs less to produce than a new tire, and is 30% and 50% of the comparable new tire price. Retreaded truck tires represent a savings of over $3 billion dollars annually for truckers and trucking companies in North America.

Recycle Old Tires
You can reuse old tires' casings multiple times. Reusing old tires' casings at least twice reduces tire costs by 50%.

Environmentally Friendly
It takes 22 gallons of oil to manufacture one new truck tire. Most of the oil is found in the casing, which is reused in the retreading process. As a result, it takes only 7 gallons of oil to produce a retread. Considering that the overall tire market for transit and commercial busses is about 430,000 to 470,000 units annually, retreading conserves millions of gallons of oil every year.

Attachment 264571

You may not believe that retreads would lead to an exponential cost increase for the entire free market, but I beg to differ. It is considered that retreads are half the cost of new tires. So now, if you would entertain my idea for a minute here. Let's find a comparable way for you to experience paying double for something car related. Let's pick gas. For just six months, I'd like you to pay double the price for gas.

Yes, it is just one small thing that shouldn't affect the rest of your life. But I bet that after the first month or so, you're starting to feel your fill ups. Pretty soon I'd even bet that you would debate driving somewhere because you didn't want to fill up sooner than you have to.

While this isn't a perfect analogy, it is one that sort of works. I couldn't use tires because then you would have to drive the same amount as a trucker to really get it. Thus I picked gas, something that you would go through in roughly a similar schedule as truckers go through tires.

now here is someone that has done there homework.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #52
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY
...this is my addiction!

Drives: SOLD
stieger always does his homework lol
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #53
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Amen brother - now if we can just keep the idiots from throwing things at while we drive down these free and open roads we should be fine.
Problem seems to be you can't avoid it even when it's just lying there not moving.... Why is that?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #54
formare
The Milano

10,000 posts is epic - truly congrats.

I think the basis of your point rests in the concept that the the retread lasts as long as a virgin tire. The failed retreads on the side of the highways would prove otherwise.

I am all for retreads that work. They reduce land fill needs and many other great and wonderful things. Trouble is the technology does not deliver and it is killing people.

Maybe that 8 cents per mile we are saving really is worth the families dying while driving to Disneyland...... I know I don't want to hit a retread in my camaro - again. If someone knowingly and willfully placed an object in the highway and I hit it they would be liable. So maybe the actual driver of the truck that placed that obstruction in my way is liable.

Quote:

Cost Savings

Recycle Old Tires

Environmentally Friendly

Attachment 264571

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #55
formare
The Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Problem seems to be you can't avoid it even when it's just lying there not moving.... Why is that?
Um, because I and and few dozen other cars are traveling at 90 feet per second in heavy traffic?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #56
Mr Twisty

Quote:

You're right behind me... you whore