Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #71
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
If I was going to sign a petition targeting the trucking industry...this cause would fall behind Truckers not properly securing their load and excessive speed. I have seen and I am not exagerrating...at least (on an average) one rollover accident a week in the last 6 months on the on/off ramps here in Columbus all involving Semi-trucks due to excess speed and unsecured loads...
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #72
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Very true - it likely could have been a rubber alligator that caused the same thing. If in the story above the semi tossed a rubber alligator onto the highway - would it not be considered manslaughter?

I suppose a dear running onto the highway could have caused the same thing - but in high dear traffic areas we have the animal fences to at least slow them down before they run into traffic. This step being reasonable action to protect against a known hazard. Aren't these retreads now a known hazard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not a good accident. Ouch.

Nevertheless...Motorcycles are especially adept at maneuvering around objects, and especially vulnerable (which the rider should be aware of)...I would be willing to bet he/she wasn't paying attention if he just hit it.

Also...just thinking out loud...what if it wasn't a tread? The same thing could have happened...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #73
formare
The Milano

I'm all for trucking and the industry in general - I'm against the tire industry. Can we get trucks that levitate ? That would solve a lot of issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Camaro11 View Post
If I was going to sign a petition targeting the trucking industry...this cause would fall behind Truckers not properly securing their load and excessive speed. I have seen and I am not exagerrating...at least (on an average) one rollover accident a week in the last 6 months on the on/off ramps here in Columbus all involving Semi-trucks due to excess speed and unsecured loads...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #74
formare
The Milano

Arrrrrrrgh! - I knew it. I gotta go rip out on star now. See you guys in the morning. Good thing my work vehicle is a ford

Quote:
To late. I'm actually on the red phone as we speak....might as well tell you to look out for the Suburbans that will be monitoring you for the next month...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #75
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I'm all for trucking and the industry in general - I'm against the tire industry. Can we get trucks that levitate ? That would solve a lot of issues
I am not against trucking. I do feel that the railroads could be utilized more effectively for what would be considered longhaul trips. Use the RR more and boost the Short Hauls. I know that the Trucking industry is scrutinized more than any other vehicle on the road....but on the same hand...when you are hauling hazardous chemicals and other materials...fines should be exponentially higher when the driver or company drops the ball....all I am saying. When one of these trucks flips over and shuts down a whole section of freeway for half a day... it affects more than just my drive to work.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #76
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
To late. I'm actually on the red phone as we speak....might as well tell you to look out for the Suburbans that will be monitoring you for the next month...
You don't skskscare me

Looked like a good time to edjumicate the general public on PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR @#$%^ DRIVING!

You deserve a little explanation of my credentials, I used to teach kickturd noobs how to jam gears and make a right turn in downtown Chi-town without killing anyone, till I decided everyone is an idiot behind the wheel, including me.

Been doing this crap for 25 years, haven't seen it all, but I can smell bull$hit from a mile away.

Here's a good example.. few months ago in Dallas, she jumped a 4 foot barrier to gimme a kiss. If I wasn't PAYING ATTENTION I would have T-boned her right in the roof at 60+ mph... no airbag in the world will save you from that.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #77
Mr Twisty

I have a LOT bigger things to worry about than a gator in the road. You do too.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #78
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
I signed.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #79
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY
...this is my addiction!

Drives: SOLD
it all comes down to... "sh!t happens"
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #80
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
pathetic how cheaper costs is always the chosen option over saving lives. This makes me sick. If I ever know someone is killed because of a retreaded tire, I guarentee you that I will take justice in my own hands.

This is negligence. I mean how many lives do we need to lose because of this. Ive been beside far to many trailers with bald tires and it upsets me when I think to myself that this person can take a life by the time he goes down the road.

Retreaded tires should be stopped, and trailers should be inspected far more. I see plenty of trucks with fresh tires, hauling trailers with tires about to blow
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #81
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
pathetic how cheaper costs is always the chosen option over saving lives. This makes me sick. If I ever know someone is killed because of a retreaded tire, I guarentee you that I will take justice in my own hands.

This is negligence. I mean how many lives do we need to lose because of this. Ive been beside far to many trailers with bald tires and it upsets me when I think to myself that this person can take a life by the time he goes down the road.

Retreaded tires should be stopped, and trailers should be inspected far more. I see plenty of trucks with fresh tires, hauling trailers with tires about to blow
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #82
Mr Twisty

You guys are easily duped by your own ignorance and are willing to "take justice in my own hands" as tj liked to point out....

Quote:
USA TODAY has run several negative Letters to the Editor about retreaded tires within the past two months. In both cases, the arguments against the use of retreaded tires were not based on facts, which is unfortunate since your readers are being presented with one sided and inaccurate information.

The letter by Charlie Hollomon in today's USA TODAY (Control inferior tires on trucks) makes the assumption that all the tire debris on our highways comes from retreads. The facts, however, show that much of the tire debris on our highways on any given day comes from tires that have never been retreaded.

The evidence regarding the safety, economic and environmental advantages of retreads is overwhelming. Tires fail and come apart for many reasons, the most important being underinflation, whether the tire is new or a retread. To blame retreads for all tire failures is the same as blaming a vehicle for an accident caused by a drunk driver.

Retreads offer truckers a safe, economical and environmentally friendly alternative to higher priced new tires. Thanks to retreads, consumers save millions of dollars every year. Any of your readers who are interested in obtaining a free booklet and video about the true causes of tire debris on the road should contact us toll free at 888/473-8732 or by e-mail at retreads@aol.com. I hope you will print this letter so that your readers can have a balanced view by learning about the rest of the story.

Harvey Brodsky, Managing Director
Tire Retread Information Bureau/TRIB
So, is the sky really falling?

Quote:
UN delegates sign petition to ban water
On December 15, 2010, in Conspiracies & Theories, Science & Medicine, Society & Culture, by Weird

Dihydrous monoxide is a key ingredient in climate change, acid rain and a chemical that is fatal if inhaled.

A group of college students called Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow, or CFACT, circulated the fake petition at the UN climate conference in Cancun, Mexico.

Of course many people realise that this evil chemical is nothing more than common water! H2O – dihydrous monoxide.

“It was designed to show that if official UN delegates could be duped by college students into banning water, that they could essentially fall for anything,” the group wrote on its website.

“Almost every delegate that collegian students approached signed their petition to ban that all-too dangerous substance.”
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #83
formare
The Milano

That would imply that no one here has actually seen a retread on the highway or has seen one become delaminted. I seen 3 on the berm while driving into work this morning.

Until I see a video of a virgin tire delaminating and leaving a 3-6 foot long tread on the ground; I simple wont believe that a virgin tire can do it.

The thing I see on the highway matches exactly what is being apllied to the core when they retread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
You guys are easily duped by your own ignorance and are willing to "take justice in my own hands" as tj liked to point out....

So, is the sky really falling?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #84
RetreadInfo

Drives: Guest
Retreaded Tires Are Not The Problem

Many people often assume that all the rubber they see on the side of the road is from retreaded tires and they also assume anytime they see a tire failure that it is a retread, which simply isn't true.

In fact, there have been a number of State and Federal studies in which rubber on the road has been collected and analyzed to determine the source and cause of those tire failures. Most recently, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration published a study in 2008 (Commercial Medium Tire Debris Study - Report No: DOT HS 811 60) in which they collected almost 1,500 pieces of tire fragments from the roads. The study concluded that the fragments they found were from NEW and retreaded tires in equal proportion to their service on the roads and had little to do with the manufacturing or retreading process.

The top 2 types of damage they discovered from the tire debris studied were the result of road hazards (39%) and excessive heat (30%) from improper inflation or other abuse.

If all the retreaded tires on the road today were replaced with new tires, we would still have the same amount of tire failures and rubber on the road.

Retreaded tires are used safely every day on airplanes, school buses, fire engines and ambulances, trucking fleets, taxis, Postal Service vehicles, military vehicles and by millions of motorists.

Lastly, retreading is very environmentally friendly. The manufacture of a new medium truck tire requires approximately 22 gallons of oil, but it takes only seven gallons to retread the same tire. Every year in North America, the use of retreaded tires saves hundreds of millions of gallons of oil and keeps millions of tires out of landfill. More information can be found at www.retread.org.
RetreadInfo is offline   Reply With Quote