Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
CALIFORNIA WTF !!!!!!

California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog View Post
In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Read through CARB's complete Cool Cars Standards and Test Procedures here (PDF link) for more. Thanks for the tip, Joaquin!

Link

I'm just ............, to even ............

Who the hell ....., I am totally speechless, I don't know what to say

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Only in California! What a bunch of meat heads. Have they done test to see what emmissions can be reduced from shutting the F2ck up?
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Here's an idea California?

Get rid of cars! OH genius!

Oh wait..you don't want to get rid of your "Regal Champagne Beige" lexus SUV? Nevermind..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
what's up with california lately? they get all the sunshine, they shouldnt be cranky
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Isn't that some form of mechanical racism!
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I mean, this is crazy, California has got to be the most jacked up state in the country

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
what's up with california lately? they get all the sunshine, they shouldnt be cranky
Well, I guess it's all that sand on the beach getting in their panties.. <_<

I'm waiting for them to try something that one of the autoblogger guys said:
"What's next, are they going to make us filter and recycle our pee water?"

Good lord I busted a nut because I could actually see them trying that. Even Obama would be "Whoa man.. now wait a minute." You also just read that in Obama's voice.. Works don't it?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
diddiyo

Drives: .
dream of califoooooornicaaaaaaaation *sing*
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Thats pretty redonkulous to out law car colors.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Boy, as if California wasn't expensive enough to live in, now you are all going to have to pay to re-pave all of your streets in white asphault! Rip out all of that ugly black asphault and put in the white stuff. So does this mean white roofs on your house only as well? Will the importation of black cars from out of state be made illegal? Will you have to have your black car vinyl wrapped in reflective silver foil to be permitted to drive it?

This is another example of the IDIOTS that we elect to run this country and our states and how they think they can legislate their way out of a problem. This will FAIL massively. Way too many holes in this one to close up...but your tax dollars will be paying for the debate and time it takes to debate it. sigh...
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I thank God every day that I was born in Texas and not Commiefornia. It must really suck to be a man with common sense on the west coast.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Wow, just when I thought California couldn't get any more jacked up. I guess they won't rest until everyone is driving white Prius's.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote