Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Gman5001

Drives: 1lt crystal red metallic
Pushing it to the edge

Im new to this forum and to camaros and to sports cars in general. I have 915 miles on my car. My question is how will I know when I'm near the limit of grip I have on a turn. I use to drive a cobalt and on that I knew because the tires squealed which I'm guessing was under steer and I have a truck which I would never even try to push to the edge, but with this car I'm very nevous to even try, so are there any indicators of when I would be close to the edge of the limit of grip I have left.
Gman5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
hopefully you mean you are doing this on a closed course or track? And the tires will squeal on the camaro too. But it handles quite a bit different than your cobalt. It's a whole other monster. Don't try driving like a moron on the highway or any public road for that matter. And oh yeah. Drive it easy for the first couple thousand miles so the car can get broken in properly before you thrash it.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Simple. Go find a parking lot with nothing in it that could destroy your car if you lost control. Then begin accellerating in a wide left turn....go faster and faster until you begin to lose grip ad the car begins to slide. Voila...you found your limitations in turning and grip.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
hopefully you mean you are doing this on a closed course or track? And the tires will squeal on the camaro too. But it handles quite a bit different than your cobalt. It's a whole other monster. Don't try driving like a moron on the highway or any public road for that matter. And oh yeah. Drive it easy for the first couple thousand miles so the car can get broken in properly before you thrash it.
What this guy said!!! Not bashing you to bad... Im guilty of some spirited driving in areas I shouldnt of did it, got caught once or twice... Learned my lesson. If your willing to take that chance that is one thing, BUT DONT take that chance in a new platform that you seem to be scared of. If you dont learn your car slowly before you "push it to the edge" you could potential lose your car, your life, or worse of all take someone elses life. The tires will squeal. The camaro is more likely to spin all the way around once it starts getting sideways after that "squeeling" noise is heard. Take it easy, learn your car slowly, get a feel for her, dont trash it. and for the love of god please, please, take it easy on her for a while like this member im quoting has suggested. Thanks for reading and I hope these words sink in. Dont wanna see someone get wasted over "pushing it to the limit"
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Simple. Go find a parking lot with nothing in it that could destroy your car if you lost control. Then begin accellerating in a wide left turn....go faster and faster until you begin to lose grip ad the car begins to slide. Voila...you found your limitations in turning and grip.

What this guy said.

1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
zer0ss

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Many drivers use this course of action varying from wide left to the wheel cut all the way to know what the car does as the back-end approaches and breaks loose. But you shouldn't even be over 4k rpm until 1500 miles following proper break in protocol.

I'm guilty of taking turns faster than I should (exit ramps in particular), but only when it's me an my lonesome out on the road, but I don't think I've ever been "to the edge" nor do I have any plans on going there. My baby is headed to the shop because I was stopped at a red light and the guy behind me was distracted, I'd hate to see my baby in the shop for something I did, or worse yet, know someone else's car or person were hurt/damaged for my recklessness.
zer0ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Gman5001

I'm not breaking 4000 and no I was hoping to do an auto cross after like 3000 miles. I just wanted to know what to look for when I finally let it loose a little but thanks for the advice I wasn't sure If the back end would break loose or anything, now if I have on traction control and stability control will it break loose?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman5001 View Post
I'm not breaking 4000 and no I was hoping to do an auto cross after like 3000 miles. I just wanted to know what to look for when I finally let it loose a little but thanks for the advice I wasn't sure If the back end would break loose or anything, now if I have on traction control and stability control will it break loose?
It will break loose momentarily and then you will feel the nannies kick in. If you gave the nannies the night off, remember to steer in the direction of the skid
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Gman5001

All right well thanks everybody, I'll let you know how it goes I've only had the car a week and a half and I'm at 900 miles. so we will see how long until I get to my 3000 mile limit I set for my self, I might go even higher to learn the car and handling.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
It will break loose momentarily and then you will feel the nannies kick in. If you gave the nannies the night off, remember to steer in the direction of the skid
Just gonna add, dont freak and oversteer! Learn your car, slowly, with the best way being, wheel time, wheel time, some wheel time, and did I mention wheel time? not just spirited driving, or aggressive driving, everyday driving also, just learn the feel of her. Sorry for the aggression in my previous post! Just take your time! Treat her good and she'l do the same for you!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman5001 View Post
All right well thanks everybody, I'll let you know how it goes I've only had the car a week and a half and I'm at 900 miles. so we will see how long until I get to my 3000 mile limit I set for my self, I might go even higher to learn the car and handling.
If you do that, it will be a wise decision!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
when you miss the telephone pole.
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
RWD is a lot different than FWD. If you get too crazy, the car will let you know and the ass end will want to come around. Just take it easy for a while until you get a feel for how it handles, and then you can push it a little harder. Just be safe and don't go over the edge.

I wouldn't worry too much about the break-in period. Some people say to baby it, but a lot of people also believe in a hard break in. You don't have to beat on it, but you also don't have to drive it like a Prius

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
You found the edge when you awake to the sound of OnStar asking you about your airbag deployment

Seriously though, take it easy out there, especially on public streets. No sense ridding the world of another Camaro or more importantly, it's driver.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote