Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
mcrider

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Question cat back exhaust for 2011 ss convertible

I have a 2011 SS (6.2) convertible and I'd like to make a few basic modificatioins. I would like to get a little better sound than the factory exhaust and I believe I would like to couple the exhaust change with a cold air box. A friend recommended going with the Flowmaster American Thunder series cat back which increases the diameter from the stock 2.5 inches to three inches. However, the reps at Flowmaster said they don't plan a three inch cat back system for the convertible due to the extra bracing the convertible has. After a litttle checking around I am not able to find a three inch cat back system for the convertible.

During conversations with tech reps at Flowmaster and Borla, both guys basically told me that the three inch cat back system won't really add that much extra performance unless I plan to add a supercharger, cam, etc. I do not plan to take those steps.

So, here are my questions: 1. Do you guys agree that there is no real need to go with a three inch cat back system since I only want a little better sound (something like 60's muscle cars) and maybe a little better performance that would come with the cold air box and a cat back exhaust system? 2. Can anyone recommend a cat back exhaust system for my convertible? I don't want a system that is too loud. The guy at Flowmaster recommended their "Force 2" system. He said it isn't as loud as their "American Thunder" series and not as loud as the "Outlaw" series which I think is their loudest. The guy at Borla recommended their "S Type" system which is in between their "Touring" and "Atak" systems. Again, I want something that is louder than stock but not something like straight pipes.

Any feedback is appreciated.
mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
styphon

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I have a solo cat back, solo hfc, and kooks lt headers on my as convertible. The solo alone increased the bass of the exhaust, but did not really increase the volume. When I added the high flow cats+headers the sound was deeper and much louder, like the older muscle cars.
styphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
mcrider

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
thanks for your response

I am assuming that your exhaust system is 2.5 inches in diameter. Do you agree that going up to a three inch diameter pipe isn't necessary. I have actually had people tell me that the 2.5 inch pipe delivers more torque versus the 3 inch diameter pipe.
mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote