Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
thallman91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert!
SOLO Cat Back and SOLO HFC - too loud?

Hi all - I have a '11 VR 2SS/RS Vert with a Roto-Fab CAI and cat back SOLO. Love it! But looking for a little more rumble. I don't want an "18 year old" sound (no offense to anyone out there).....moreover..I wouldn't mind it..but the wife wouldn't like it. (Any married guys out there understand you have to weigh the aspects of the upcoming battle!)

In any event...was wondering if anyone was running a CAI, with SOLO Cat Back..and SOLO High Flow Cats and if they feel its too loud? I don't mind loud at WOT....but just around town driving....I know if its too loud...I"ll get "the look". It might be worth it....but I figured I"d check first!

Thanks all!
TnT91
Go Bucks!

2011 Victory Red Convertible - 2SS/RS
Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE Grill, HWSE 20" Wheels
Considering Mods: Backup Camera and internal screen

Fedorov for President! Ovechkin for Vice!
thallman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
TAPSHIFT

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS '16 1GB Z51 ragtop
Solo

I have a K&N intake, Solo Mach-XL Catback (with J-pipes) and Sol Hi Flow Cats. Sounds great. Good rumble at low speed cruising but at WOT....great sound! Granted, I'm not driving a convertible so you will hear it more than I.
Incase you haven't seen/heard this promo:

TAPSHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
thallman91

Thanks Tapshift..yep..its because of YOUR video..that I'm considering doing this!!! It's an awesome sound....and I listened to your "cabin" sound. I'm just wondering if the ragtop version I have..will be too loud. So polling to see if anyone is running with a setup like mine... (i.e. vert, with CAI, Solo cat back and Solo HFC) to get their opinion! Thanks for posting your video again..love the sound!
TnT91

Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE Grill, HWSE 20" Wheels

Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
BlwnSS
i like carz

Drives: 99 Formula,85 Trans Am,04 Monte
its pretty loud , my friend has it , has an intake , tune , solo hf cats and the solo catback with no mufflers and its loud , hes been thinking about doing the solo mufflers too .
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Bill813

Drives: 69 Vette 2000 Z28 2012 2SS 2013 2SS
I am running a Roto-Fab CAI with Solo cat-back exhaust. Sounded good. Just put a sent of ARH long tube headers with ARH cat. Sounds better. It is fairly quiet in the car but outside when you get on it sounds fantastic. Loud but fantastic
Bill813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I'm planning the same soon. I have Roto-Fab cai and Solo cat-back. Hope to have a set of long tubes and HF Cats in the next year. I think it can only sound better!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
I have j-pipes and Solo HF Cats. Its load but not obnoxious.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
I have the SOLO Mach XL with J-pipes, SOLO high flows, and a CAI.

Best exhaust sound, ever.
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
I have the Solo catback with headers and high flow cats. It sounds great. The cats aren't from Solo, but Most high flow cats should sound the same. It is quite a bit louder with the headers and high flows than it was with the factory exhaust manifolds and cats, but it is not too loud. My wife, who normally doesn't comment on car sounds except to criticize overly loud ricers, loves the sound. I've had a number of strangers comment on the sound all positive.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
thallman91

Thanks all! So..dumb question..if I put them on...and it was too loud (not the car..my wife chirping about it!).....are they easily removed to go back to "current state"? Sorry for the basic question...

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
styphon

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I have a Kooks LT stepped header, solo HFC cats, and solo cat-back all installed by solo.

Its not too loud if you are light on the throttle-a little louder and deeper than stock. but WOT it is louder, and very deep/growly compared to stock. I love it, makes my car sound like I think a muscle car should
styphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallman91 View Post
Thanks all! So..dumb question..if I put them on...and it was too loud (not the car..my wife chirping about it!).....are they easily removed to go back to "current state"? Sorry for the basic question...
Sorry nobody's answered your question. With the cat-back system, it's very easy to return to stock, provided you've found a place to store that stock system as one big-a$$ assembly! The stock hangers and couplers remain in place.
If you go with the axle-back, its a different story. The stock mufflers can be reinstalled, but you'll need to weld them back onto the pipes, or buy some band couplers. If you already have another model of axle-back exhaust, the remaining pipes may be too long or too short for the change to another axle-back system, so it's harder to revert back once the cuts are made.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote