Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Would like to get old school muscle car sound

I know from reading these forums that it is hard to get that old school sound for many reasons.
But, I would like to at least get closer to it.
I understand that a different Cam, Headers, and Exhaust are in order for that as well as a tune?
Can this be done with Chevy Performance Parts installed at my dealership to not void the warranty?
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I was wondering the same thing... How awesome would it be to get a cam, headers and tune from the dealership and keep the warranty..

I know my VW dealer did it (hint, hint) had the tune and all parts needed to get another 60hp and they would go all the way to stage 3 that added over 200 hp https://www.goapr.com/products/stage3_20_tsi_trans.html

With all that, that 4 cylinder just does not have the awesome sound of a great V8 with gobs of stock power

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
You aren't going to get any sort of super aggressive cam from GM. Duration and lift wouldn't be very high and lope would be minimal. These engines are vastly different from old school muscle engines so getting the same sound isn't going to really happen. You can drop an aftermarket cam in there and it'll sound badass for sure and probably similar... But probably wouldn't sound quite the same as a 60s SBC when placed side by side.

You shouldn't be pursuing this for just a sound in the first place IMO... Do it for the performance benefits. If you don't want those benefits then it's not worth the time and money to tear into a brand new engine just to make it sound different. Kind of ricerish... The dealer is going to destroy you in labor cost for such a job as well...

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Start with he Stainless Works retro catback . Anything you do to get that lumpy idle after that will void your warrantee . Long tubes and HF cats really make it sound great ,but will void your warrantee.

Last edited by GONIF; 10-29-2015 at 11:56 AM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
chipset35

Ugh, oh well....does this mean I have to spend $35000 on a 1967 Camaro now?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
And what would you get with a 67 Camaro ? Vent windows and a car that looks and sounds kool and nostalgic , with a cramped cabin, poor handling , poor brakes and less of everything a 5th gen has is what you would get . I have been there and done that and have the T shirt . You do not know how good you have it.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
No you dont have to, Some Long Tube Headers would be a good start these will get you a louder sound but to get the old school muscle car feel you'll need a cam for sure. I get complimented on my personal car that it sounds like an old school big block all the time, im running the following:

- A2B Motorsport Custom Grind Mild NA Cam (with supporting mods)
- TSP 1 7/8 Headers with Catless Mids (Catted will get you a deeper tone, while catless will be raspier)
- MBRP 3" Exhaust
- AFE Pro5R Intake

I also have an underdrive pulley and a ported throttle body. If you want ill get a sound clip for you of my car.

Do you have the NPP Exhaust?
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Lose any kind of exhaust crossover, whether it be an 'H', 'X', or some kind of suitcase with 2 in and 2 out. Completely separating the left and right bank exhaust lines is probably the best for the buck you can hope for as far as exaggerating V8 rumble while satisfying warranty worries goes. Muffler choice will matter, and I'm not going to go there.

It'll cost you a little performance though.

Norm
Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
http://youtu.be/rfecP8gxsbE Here is my car with 1 7/8th long tube headers, Cat delete pipes and factory NPP exhaust open. EDIT Sorry just re read the post and didn't read it all the first time! I doubt any dealer will install these mods and allow you to retain the warranty but have a listen anyway!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
I know from reading these forums that it is hard to get that old school sound for many reasons.
But, I would like to at least get closer to it.
I understand that a different Cam, Headers, and Exhaust are in order for that as well as a tune?
Can this be done with Chevy Performance Parts installed at my dealership to not void the warranty?
You can get a cat back from GM but not headers, cams, or tuning. The Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back recreates the sound on the old school chambered exhaust systems. This car is bone stock besides the cat back.

This is the same car with the addition of Stainless Works 1 7/8" headers and high flow cats.

From there you just need a cam if you want a lope in the idle.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
This hasn't been addressed, so I'll address it. While GMPP does have some nice power adders for the LS3, GM does not sell, provide, or authorize, the changing of the stock tune. The minute you change the tune, even if you find a dealership willing to do it for you, you leave yourself open to having your warranty claim denied.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
chipset35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
And what would you get with a 67 Camaro ? Vent windows and a car that looks and sounds kool and nostalgic , with a cramped cabin, poor handling , poor brakes and less of everything a 5th gen has is what you would get . I have been there and done that and have the T shirt . You do not know how good you have it.
I was being sarcastic, but I do appreciate your insight.
I have been watching "Grave Yard Carz", "Fast and Loud", "Garage Squad" and "OverHaulin"...those shows get my juices going for some old school muscle cars like the Road Runner, Baracuda, Classic Camaro's etc.