Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
To wet sand or not to wet sand. SHOW CAR!!!

Finally it was time to clear, ugh, I hate clear coating. It sure does make everything purty and shiny, but so hard to get smooth. I used a decent HVLP gravity feed gun with a 30 gallon tank and a 1.3 tip. I couldn’t get that sweet foggy spray pattern I saw online. Again I did bumpers separate and they went a lot better as practice before I got to the entire body. Lucky I’m tall cause I could start on far side of hood than down windows, forward from rear bumper to front fenders, cross over hood and re-fill gun finally doing other side and trunk. Well the thing is… It went ok until I switched masks to one I thought would work and nearly blacked out. 3M mildew masks are no good for painting, says my rubbery legs and nearly blacking out. This mayyyy have lead to some runs, just maybe… My best advice on clearing a car that will be wet sanded, “entire car should be one large run.” No problem, 4 thick coats later she was off and running for sure!

Who likes wet sanding clear? NO ONE!!! I first told a friend it would take me 2-3 weeks. Try 6 weeks! This is with work and of course buffing it back to shiny. With this much orange peel here’s what I came up with: 1. Wet sand with 600 2. Wet sand with 1000 3. Wet sand with 1500 4. Buff with a heavy cutting compound and foam pad 5. Buff with a good 1500 gritt sanding or swirl remover and wool pad 6. Buff with a polishing compound 7. Finally wax the $hit out of it! About half way through I attained a real zen like state listening to my music while sanding and I became able to see the orange peel while wet sanding. I could literally see the imperfections through the water. By the time I got to the final side, drivers, I was super pro! Because I’m me after I finished car guess what, I went back and redid a bunch of my work. I think I found one panel that had so many scratches I think I forgot the 1500 grit, woooops!
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 07-20-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: add pics
nicave13@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Happy and Proud =D

In the end though the results were worth it. I’ve never seen a factory paint job this friggin shiny, like coated in goo or something See my shadow shots below? Just check out differences in reflections from before wet sanding, yeah buddy!

Unless it’s in person it’s almost impossible to really understand how the metallic flake looks or works. See the video for that. When the sun hits it each little flake sparkles differently. When you walk and move the paint moves, shimmers! It’s pretty damn sexy, no joke! I’ve had more than a couple Camaro owners tell me they wish I’d paint their car  The stripes have about twice as much sparkle to them, as planned, as an accent can be over the top sparkly. The car is actually very tasteful in my opinion.

Sparkle Vid's!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 03-26-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add pics
nicave13@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
LILRED85

Drives: 1985 C4 Corvette
Umm are you missing something
LILRED85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED85 View Post
Umm are you missing something
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Woulda been cool to have done a fox body mustang conversion...i think the lines wouldve been easier to blend together...
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Before and after, see the difference? It's subtle!

To me, just my opinion now, she turned out amazing!!! Just look how the front fenders flow from horizontal Camaro bumper to Taurus sides. Look how the shrunken bumper looks seamless! How the fender flares tuck those front tires in just so! “Nic, you really got that thing tucking tire!” All without lowering it an inch. Look at those sides, look at how I transformed them! I got this thing looking like some kind of AMG or Dinan Euro super sedan! (in my mind) Finally that rear, which I’m most proud of. I honestly think it could pass for a real car. Look how the black separates the red so evenly! Really helping to break up such a large area. Talk about a transformation!

Somebody told me I ain’t gonna have no problem selling it now. I told em not for a million dollars. He said what about 2 million! Nope, I like my Chevy, but I love my Ford Tamaro!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

More to come???

So what does the future hold for the Tamaro? A new interior of course!!! I am taking the rest of the summer to plan it, design it, DREAM IT!!! Thoughts right now is red carpet, red suede centers of seats and black leather sides trim. You think I know how to sew? :P Between the red and black how about clear vinyl with moving, YES MOVING!, LED’s underneath with the pattern continuing onto rear seats. I am the supposed LED god after all Everybody does fiberglass door panels, or metal painted like car, that’s never gonna work How about full wooden door panels and dash! I don’t know how I’m going to do it, but I will!!! Maybe wood grain, black wood grain, piano black or even faux tortoise shell look with red base and black texture!!! Everything not needed will go! Only drivers door will have switches or locks. Rears won’t even have inner door handles, b/c show car! Look below at fiber optics, yup at your feet will be the glowing word Tamaro in carpet! Still planning headliner, but red/black theme like seats and maybe well some fiber optics in a pattern or a 32” LED TV!!! Why not?

Finally for my interior’s finishing touch I gotta give my Dad credit. Who is the LED gods Dad? Only the original inventor of the POS Cashregister that pretty much everyone uses and has copied, or Ted Ave-Lallemant (pcCashdrawer.com) No I never got money from him, just an inventive spirit and hard work ethic. He offered up a tiny computer with 2.5 gighz, 8 Gig of ram with Bluetooth, wifi, network and HDMI out. It will run Windows 8 through a 23” multi or 10 touch monitor. Yup, I will have a 23” tablet PC in my dash!!! Mostly it will do videos, pic’s, games, wifi lighting control of interior lights, etc, etc!!! Tesla model S has a 17” non-multi touch screen, and it only costs like $85k. I will also have USB outlets in dash as well as A/C outlets. Think home entertainment center, not car dash

Have I lost it? Am I crazy? Will I ever stop? Yes, YES, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I may never change up the powertrain, I am hoping to hit 300k on original engine. But what if I did??? How about the new twin turbo Taurus SHO motor that makes 400 HP!!! Not enough? What if I converted it to rear drive? How about a cam’d, stroked and supercharged LS motor like a Camaro with like 800 HP =D Wouldn’t it just send shivers down your spine hearing a cam’d big cube V8 roaring out of that quad exhaust =D Stay tuned!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
Alienwrangler
Alien Wrangler

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 2LS
Alot of hard work and mechanical experience. Good or Bad, it always draws a crowd around it at events. Nice Job!
Alienwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Blown & Cammed LS3
Something different and interesting none the less haha
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
ModBargains

Drives: Camaro RS/SS, 996TT, E90 335i
Um....Hard work as this may have been, this probably isnt the place to flaunt your look alike.
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #25
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Is this a joke?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #26
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
BAH HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHA

Thats...just terrible....
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #27
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
This is soo freaking awesome...way to go bud cant wait to see the rest.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #28
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains View Post
Um....Hard work as this may have been, this probably isnt the place to flaunt your look alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Is this a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
BAH HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHA

Thats...just terrible....