Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Graylan

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE Summit White
Dealership Stats - Top Camaro Sales

Looking to find a dealer to take my 1LE to for its first oil change.

I haven't had any luck thus far after taking it two other time to two separate dealers...

1st Dealer: Scheduled service for 730am on a Friday in MD. Took it in at 5k miles and dealer stated, "sorry, cant change the oil per your service contract (that comes with the new purchase) until the % left is lower than where it is now (it was around 40%)"

2nd Dealer: Schedule service for 900am on a Wednesday in MA (as I moved from MD to MA). Arrived to that dealer to state they didn't find my appointment and would need to see if they could get me in. While I waited, they also came back to say they couldn't change the oil do to the % remaining (15% at that time).

So needless to say, I am at 7.5K and finally at lower than 10% remaining.
I am looking to identify a dealer in the New England area that has experience with Camaros and Corvettes. I didn't know if this info was available to the public.

I know certain dealers get certain cars on its lots based off of historic sales so I thought it was worth asking for this reason.

P.S. And I know some of you might ask WTH do I even bother with a dealer... I like having all the records kept with Chevrolet against the VIN. If there is another way to do this going outside a dealer for service, let me know!

-Gralyan
Graylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
My dealer has done three oil changes on my 2014 V8 Camaro since delivery 4/11/14. #4 will take place this fall before it goes nite-nite for winter. I have 7200 miles on it now.

So, obviously, dealers have latitude on how to interpret "scheduled maintenance". Call ahead and confirm with service manager.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I get the free oil changes for 2 years. Rule of thumb I've been told is 22% or lower. I have never had an issue with my dealer bringing it in with 20%. It takes 5,000-6,000 miles easily to hit that 20% figure.

There is no reason to ever bring your car in for an oil change with the oil life monitor at 40%. It doesn't matter what mileage it is. What matters is the oil LEVEL in your car. Make sure the car's oil is in the appropriate range and not low and you should be OK. These engines and modern oil is very good. The only oil change I'd bite the bullet on and change immediately is the 1st oil change - make that within 1,000 miles IMO.

Oil filters I believe are the real bottleneck, and I believe they're good for 7,000-8,000 miles. As long as you get the oil out before 7,000 miles you should be OK if you're monitoring the levels.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I also get the free oil change deal. Two oil changes per year, for two years. I got my first change done at 1000 miles. I wanted to get the break in oil out of the engine. The dealer had no problem with it. They said I get 4 free oil changes and they don't care when I use them.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Chap2010SS

Drives: Black 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylan View Post

I haven't had any luck thus far after taking it two other time to two separate dealers...

1st Dealer: Scheduled service for 730am on a Friday in MD. Took it in at 5k miles and dealer stated, "sorry, cant change the oil per your service contract (that comes with the new purchase) until the % left is lower than where it is now (it was around 40%)"

2nd Dealer: Schedule service for 900am on a Wednesday in MA (as I moved from MD to MA). Arrived to that dealer to state they didn't find my appointment and would need to see if they could get me in. While I waited, they also came back to say they couldn't change the oil do to the % remaining (15% at that time).

I am looking to identify a dealer in the New England area that has experience with Camaros and Corvettes. I didn't know if this info was available to the public.

I know certain dealers get certain cars on its lots based off of historic sales so I thought it was worth asking for this reason.

P.S. And I know some of you might ask WTH do I even bother with a dealer... I like having all the records kept with Chevrolet against the VIN. If there is another way to do this going outside a dealer for service, let me know!

-Gralyan
I was wondering about the same thing in his last paragraph as well. I always have changed my own oil but when I bought this Camaro, I saw on the carfax where they had taken it in to dealor for oil change. Kinda liked seeing that on there. How do ya'll keep your records?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Sidecardog1

Drives: 2015 2SS, 1LE, Dual Mode, Black
Free 2 year maintenance on new cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I also get the free oil change deal. Two oil changes per year, for two years. I got my first change done at 1000 miles. I wanted to get the break in oil out of the engine. The dealer had no problem with it. They said I get 4 free oil changes and they don't care when I use them.
Ditto that. Dealer told me I get 4 oil changes during the first two years whenever I want them. After that I pay or do them myself.
Sidecardog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
You can use those 4 oil changes at your discretion but the dealers are told to tell you that GM and the dealer recommends that you change it based on the oil life monitor system.

From the guidelines a dealer friend gave me:

Quote:
21. If a customer insists on changing their oil based on low mileage intervals and not in accordance with the OLM, how should dealers proceed?

For consumers that insist on following premature service intervals, we ask that you honor their request. However, they should be notified that their included

scheduled maintenance is limited to four service events within 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. In addition, Service Agents should counsel

consumers that wish to follow premature service intervals on the benefits of the Oil Life Monitoring system (OLM) and the quality of semi-synthetic oil that will

prolong oil life and oil change intervals. GM will take customer consideration into account when reviewing premature service intervals, however these should be the

minority of situations. Promoting premature service intervals is considered a violation of the program guidelines. Any violation may result in Service Agent charge

backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I got my first oil change at 2k miles/6 months of ownership.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Dealership Stats - Top Camaro Sales

Dealer won't do it until 15% oil life. I paid for my own at 3000, but didn't reset the oil monitor.. Then at 7000 I got my free one. I'm at 11000 now, getting close to my second free one, before CamaroFest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CRF8; 05-26-2015 at 06:36 PM.
CRF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylan View Post

-Gralyan
If you want to come all the way to New England, Macmulkin Chevrolet sells boats of Corvettes and Camaro's and have a great service department. They know how to take care of the cars.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
What's the deal with the thread title of Dealership Stats - Top Camaro Sales then, the thread is about your personal maintenance issue? Is this to garner more thread hits so that someone helps you? If that's the case, I hope no one does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
There is no reason to ever bring your car in for an oil change with the oil life monitor at 40%. It doesn't matter what mileage it is. What matters is the oil LEVEL in your car. Make sure the car's oil is in the appropriate range and not low and you should be OK.
That's actually inaccurate information. Not everyone drives their performance car as a daily driver. Many performance cars could go an entire year without the OLM indicating the need for an oil change. As per GM guidelines follow the OLM but do no exceed 10 months without changing the oil.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
You really want the dealer changing the oil on your 1LE??? Change it yourself, don't have to work about some retard tech doing something stupid, like putting in only 5 quarts, forgetting to tighten the oil filter, or maybe running a tool cart into the car.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #13
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics

You get "x" number of oil changes free. If you choose to use them at 5K miles, or 10K miles, what's it to the dealer?

I've gone in, said "it's time for an oil change", and they say "fine, you have 3 left". Should be this simple at every dealer!

After the free ones (and checking behind the dealer's work!), I do my own.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
Pork Chop

Drives: M6 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
If you want to come all the way to New England, Macmulkin Chevrolet sells boats of Corvettes and Camaro's and have a great service department. They know how to take care of the cars.
That's where I go.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote