Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
DKBLOWN SS

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Long term storage

I store my car for 6 months of the year in a dry heated shop.I was wondering how often other people start their cars while stored.My car is a supercharged l99
DKBLOWN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
This is always a good question but from last I knew I'm understanding that on today's cars they don't need to be started and can go a long time in storage. I guess they say if you are not going to drive it and get it up to temp then your doing more harm than good due to moisture being created by only starting once in awhile and not getting up to temp moisture is trapped internally. I put our cars up for about 5-6 months a year and I just top off the fuel , add fuel additive and park on carpet squares under each tire. The carpet helps dry rot if you park on concrete floor over long period of time.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBLOWN SS View Post
I store my car for 6 months of the year in a dry heated shop.I was wondering how often other people start their cars while stored.My car is a supercharged l99
You really shouldn't start the engine and let it run . The reason is it creates condensation on the inside of the engine . Even running the engine up to operating temp isn't enough to burn off the condensation. The water then is going to start interacting with the metals.

I know you said it's in a dry heated garage but there is still moisture in the air.

I store a motorcycle for 6 months of the year . It sits on a battery tender with Stabil in the tank. Believe me it sucks I love listening to the sound of my Gixxer .

What the guy above me said .
Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
I store mine for 6 months too. I learned that it is imperative to take it out on monthly spins. I had a Mustang that I stored for 6 months & the A/C system failed after 35,000 miles. The dealer said the A/C has to be run a couple of times during non a/c months. 6 months can also ruin a battery. You can disconnect the cables, but then time & stations have to be reset. btw, the a/c repair was north of 700.00.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
I had a 08 Mustang I stored for 6 months, found out that was a strain on a/c system. Dealer said on off months the a/c system needs to be run to keep the system from breaking down. That was pricey, north of 700.00. I learned to take my stored Camaro out monthly for a spin; to get condensation out, save tires from sitting too long & keeping battery in tip top shape.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
It will be fine. Get a Tender or some other controlled trickle charger, tires off the ground, as mentioned, on carpet and inflated to recommended max to prevent flat spotting, and get a good cover for the car. The advice above about not starting it is sound. Unless you get the oil temps up over 212 degrees for a good period of time, you won't boil off the condensation that starting it in the first place created. Oh also, add some Sta-Bil to the tank, and run the car enough to get it into the whole fuel system.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
If you can do it, jack stands were recommended to me to save the tires when she sits. I always wondered if it helped or harmed the suspension though.....
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
This is always a good question but from last I knew I'm understanding that on today's cars they don't need to be started and can go a long time in storage. I guess they say if you are not going to drive it and get it up to temp then your doing more harm than good due to moisture being created by only starting once in awhile and not getting up to temp moisture is trapped internally. I put our cars up for about 5-6 months a year and I just top off the fuel , add fuel additive and park on carpet squares under each tire. The carpet helps dry rot if you park on concrete floor over long period of time.

Pretty much what I do except battery tender, tarps to cover the concrete and plywood under each tire. But to be honest tire rot is a non-issue for me as I need new rears every 10-12000 miles so far...
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
I have been storing our Sebring convertible for 10 plus years and this is the first year storing the Camaro (we just got it in July). I agree with the trickle charger or charging the battery once a month or so. I probably brought an extra battery over the years by not doing this at first. We do not run the cars during storage as I think it can create moisture in the engine. I do put plastic under the cars and tuck it up in the trunk, the hood and door sills to keep moisture and critters out. Each car has nice cover for it also. We cold store the cars in WI and this has worked well for us.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
If you can do it, jack stands were recommended to me to save the tires when she sits. I always wondered if it helped or harmed the suspension though.....
You are supposed to load the suspension. You set the suspension down on the jack stands so the weight of the car is still on its springs.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
In my experience, which is ten+ years of storing a car for the winter in an unheated space (where it snows), I always brought the engine up to operating temp, once every couple of weeks when I couldn't do it each week.

Respectfully I never had water in the oil when I drained and changed each spring and I would have the engine out often each year, to clean and detail it and the engine compartment, and re-treat my headers. Every third or fourth year that would mean taking the intake off too, and a couple times, the heads just to check, as gaskets are cheap. I did not note any corrosion damage.

I would also move the car ten feet or so, leave it with the wheels turned in a new direction, little things like that. I'd run it through the gears with my foot on the brake, engage and disengage the e-brake, and check under the car for leaks.

That's my experience. As always YMMV.