Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
ZL1 diff cooler

Anyone have pictures or part diagrams of where the cooler lines connect to/up front? Do they connect to the radiator or trans cooler?
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Stealth6

Drives: '17 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
Anyone have pictures or part diagrams of where the cooler lines connect to/up front? Do they connect to the radiator or trans cooler?
ZL1's "14 bolt" diff. has an intergrated cooler that sits at the bottom in its own little sump. Transmission fluid is pumped all the way back to the rear into the imbeded cooler, then back out again, sent all the way back to the transmission, which then pumps it forward to the transmission's fluid cooler, then back to the transmission and the cycle starts again.
Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Thanks for the info. I have a ZL1 diff that should be here by mid week, I'm just trying to see if it would be easier to make my own pump and cooler assembly rather then go stock with it. I'm looking for parts diagram of the connection point up front.
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Tried to attach chevy's pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ImagePrint.pdf (400.9 KB, 889 views)
File Type: pdf ImagePrint (2).pdf (400.9 KB, 738 views)
File Type: pdf ImagePrint (1).pdf (400.9 KB, 684 views)
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Thanks Jason. How's the diff going?
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Jason P

Its in the plumbing should be done this week.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Stealth6

Drives: '17 GT350
Quote:
..... I'm just trying to see if it would be easier to make my own pump and cooler assembly rather then go stock with it. I'm looking for parts diagram of the connection point up front.
In that case I would would go with Zele Performance. They make excellent differential coolers, however, they are extremely expensive. A cheaper alternative would be DRM:
http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-c5-diff-cooler-kit/
Attached Images

Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Jason P

That heat exchanger looks almost identical to the one I purchased from GM
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth6 View Post
In that case I would would go with Zele Performance. They make excellent differential coolers, however, they are extremely expensive. A cheaper alternative would be DRM:
http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-c5-diff-cooler-kit/
This would work but wouldn't you need some sort of reservoir to hold a cooling fluid or could it be run as a closed system? I may just go this way, The CTS-V guys run a system like that but their diffs are plumed for a diff cooler the ZL1 diff already has a cooler in the diff just need to make a circulating system to cool the diff.
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Jason P

The transmission pumps trans fluid to the rearend and then to the heat exchanger to the front of the car. The trans. fluid and diff. fluid do not mix. The diff has a seperate res. wher e the trans fluid circulates.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Jason do you have a list of all the part numbers for the lines and the transmission cooler?
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Jason P

E mail me at jpeninger74@gmail.com and I will forward you my delivery reciept. I can't get it to post on here.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
This would work but wouldn't you need some sort of reservoir to hold a cooling fluid or could it be run as a closed system? I may just go this way, The CTS-V guys run a system like that but their diffs are plumed for a diff cooler the ZL1 diff already has a cooler in the diff just need to make a circulating system to cool the diff.
It would be a closed system, you'd just need to add enough diff fluid to maintain the proper level. Depending on where you route everything you may need a 1 way check valve to prevent fluid from settling out of the system back into the diff when the cooler isn't operating. It would cause it to spew out from the vent as if it were overfilled. Make sure the opening pressure of the check valve is compatible with the pump if you go that route.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
It would be a closed system, you'd just need to add enough diff fluid to maintain the proper level. Depending on where you route everything you may need a 1 way check valve to prevent fluid from settling out of the system back into the diff when the cooler isn't operating. It would cause it to spew out from the vent as if it were overfilled. Make sure the opening pressure of the check valve is compatible with the pump if you go that route.
The diff cooler in the diff is completely separate from the diff fluid.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...al-cooler.html
This would be great but I don't need it to plumb into the diff fluid, just need to make it like a intercooler but would think that you would need a reservoir unless this could work as a classed loop system with the diff.
MGW Short Throw Shifter