Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Zl1 Diff upgrade

Ok I picked up my Auto ZL1 Diff / Axles / Hubs. Getting ready for a swap into my Auto SS.

I have a long list of parts that I need including a new Propshaft and Axle Seals.

Now seems like it would be the perfect time to upgrade the Differential bushings. Are these bushings the same as the SS or are they already somewhat upgraded on the ZL1 (2013)?

And for anyone who has done this. I can find guides on everything except replacing the transmission flange... Is this a simple bolt and replace, or is it a little more involved?
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
The differential bushings are the same as the SS. The OEM ZL1 bushings are pretty good and they help with noise. At most, only upgrade to poly bushings. The hard Delrin bushing will transmit noise big time, but also keep the differential rock solid.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
The differential bushings are the same as the SS. The OEM ZL1 bushings are pretty good and they help with noise. At most, only upgrade to poly bushings. The hard Delrin bushing will transmit noise big time, but also keep the differential rock solid.
ADM solid subframe mounts / Derilin Diff bushings / Prothane Motor mounts - I would say you are fairly sold!!!

Did you install the Diff yourself? If so did you mess with the axle seal protector tool? Or just lube up the axle and be gentle?
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
ADM solid subframe mounts / Derilin Diff bushings / Prothane Motor mounts - I would say you are fairly sold!!!

Did you install the Diff yourself? If so did you mess with the axle seal protector tool? Or just lube up the axle and be gentle?
I'm a bit noisy (clunky), but pretty solid.

I "assisted" with the install. No, did not use the alignment tool. Just have to be careful - that works fine.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:53 AM   #5
Street Slayer

Drives: 2011
diff bushings

Alot of guys are putting the new offset poly diff Bushings in on the zl1 swap.
Street Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
^^^ I am the proud owner of a ZL1 manual diff that I will be swapping very soon. I will be purchasing the POLY offset bushings if nothing more than to shove that heavy bass turd up into the car more to allow better exhaust clearance. Wrapping a couple of 3" exhaust pipes around it will be challenging.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have the delrin offset bushings in my ZL1 swap I wonder how much of the clunk goes away after going to the poly versions.
Mine is quite clunky when on and off the throttle at slower speeds. I also have a one piece aluminum driveshaft and solid aluminum subframe mounts.
What I am hearing is the backlash in the diff amplified by my setup.
Would like to quiet it down but do not want to lose the athletic feel my setup has right now.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Slayer View Post
Alot of guys are putting the new offset poly diff Bushings in on the zl1 swap.
You guys must be reading my mind... I was looking at the BMR Combination Delrin / Poly bushing set. The more I read the more I am interested in the offset. Currently I have 1" Lowering springs, and the offset looks as if they could help. Can you get the offset in different offsets? like 1/4" or 1/2" offset?

What vendor sells them?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
RankSS

Hendrix Engineering sells the offset bushings.
Keep in mind if you are using offset bushings with a ZL1 diff you will need to need to do a bit of massaging to get it to fit.
Not a huge problem by any means. I had my subframe out on the bench to do my install and it was a breeze.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
@RankSS. I would not turn down a PM or an answer here as to where and what will need to be massaged other than my back moving around that behemoth.

You mention cradle...please elaborate.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #11
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
I did bmr bushings with my ZL1 3.73 diff. Not sure why I didn't use the H/E bushings I bought but I have no problem with how the BMR feels.
ticowarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
RankSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
@RankSS. I would not turn down a PM or an answer here as to where and what will need to be massaged other than my back moving around that behemoth.

You mention cradle...please elaborate.
As I recall the diff itself needed a little grinding done on the front ears and the cradle needed hammering in a few spots. Nothing too invasive at all.
It will be apparent what it needs when you try to bolt it in.
Keep in mind this tweeking is needed only with the offset bushings on a ZL1 Diff.
Well worth the effort as the axle angles are much improved.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #13
dentnshell

In some old threads there is a mention of a 1/4" offset bushing instead of the standard 1/2". I would be interested in this as a happy medium... I am going to use the GM Propshaft from the HD upgrade kit. Hopefully keeping the two piece design and the rubber coupler's will keep the drive line clunk to a minimum (If I choose the offset bushings.)

I hope the Black Friday sales would kick in soon!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
I just did a ZL1 diff swap and don't see where you get more than a 1/4" clearance between the diff and the top of the cradle support.

The Hendrix bushings with any movement will hit the cradle at the top of the diff unless cradle is notched or stretched at that location which to me sounds like a loss of integrity or if nothing else true alignment but I definitely see the advantage of decreasing the angle of the half axles and raising the clearance line of the massive ZL1 diff as it hangs at least an inch lower than the SS diff