Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
NateZ

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454
New Member, Quick Question

Hey everyone -- new to the boards and long time Camaro-lover. My first and only Camaro was a '70 Z28/RS, but I'm looking forward to gettin' my hands on the '09 Z.

Now on to my question. I did a search, but didn't find the answer I was looking for (so sorry if this has already been discussed). I'm sure the new Camaro will be released with an automatic and a 5- or 6-speed manual, but has there been any word on whether the auto will feature a "sport shift" mode like you see on other GM products such as the Cadillac CTS?

Thanks,
Nate

'70 SS454 -- When The Only Carbs You Cared About Were Under the Hood.
NateZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Unfortunately nothing has been released. We've speculated out the ying yang though. There's polls as to what people would prefer on the boards, but nothing official has been said about it. Welcome to the boards though. It's nice seeing people join the boards well before the car comes out. Shows how many people actually are looking forward to it.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I personally believe that the Auto-version will come with "driver shift selection" as GM puts it. Every new vehicle that has the new 6L80 auto-tranny has this feature. even the Malibu. What is up for speculation, IMO, is how Chevy will implement it, whether it be like the CTS(tap up/down shifter), or like the Vette (paddle/thumb shifters)

But Mindz is absolutely right, no official info has been released other than the dour: "...choice of auto or manual..."

And Welcome!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Welcome Nate.

Regarding your question, my thoughts are, maybe GM will offer paddle shifting similar to what is currently offered on the C6.

It's all just speculation at this point.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
i would say that at least one of the packages would have "sport shift"
09'Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sorry we couldn't give ya a 100% positive answer yet, Nate. It's just too early in the game and GM won't spill those "beans" yet.

But, I must say that I LOVE that Chevelle in your sig! That is one of my all time favorite cars (all inclusive) of all time. In fact, I have one sitting on my computer desk right now in reverse colors (from the Dazed and Confused movie).
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
NateZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Sorry we couldn't give ya a 100% positive answer yet, Nate. It's just too early in the game and GM won't spill those "beans" yet.

But, I must say that I LOVE that Chevelle in your sig! That is one of my all time favorite cars (all inclusive) of all time. In fact, I have one sitting on my computer desk right now in reverse colors (from the Dazed and Confused movie).
Thanks for the compliment, Tag. That would be our (wife and I) pride and joy. I had a '69 Mach 1 428CJ and a '70 Monte Carlo SS454 as well, up until about a year ago, but we needed to trim things down a bit, so now my wife and I just have the Chevelle. The Chevelle's always been our favorite anyway. It's a numbers matching car and the only triple-white LS-5 SS454 we've ever seen (it's currently sporting an incorrect black interior -- I've been saying for about 5 years now that I'm going to put the correct ivory interior back in). I do have a forum buddy over on TeamChevelle.com that owns a triple-white LS-6 car, but that's it. There's pics of all 3 over at www.pbase.com/natez if you're interested.

As for my topic, it sounds like only time will tell. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it does get a sport shift option. Actually, a manual is just as good to me, but I was intrigued about a sport shift option because of the traffic issues here in DC. I already drive a 5-spd truck to work every day. My "clutch" leg is twice the size of my other leg.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Nate, I see you're from Maryland.

You should definately try to bring your Chevelle to next years GM/Camaro Nationals show at Carlisle Pa.! It would be a HUGE hit!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
NateZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Nate, I see you're from Maryland.

You should definately try to bring your Chevelle to next years GM/Camaro Nationals show at Carlisle Pa.! It would be a HUGE hit!
Hey, Moose. I've thought about taking the Chevelle up to Carlisle many times. We don't have a trailer, or we might've done it by now. Definitely can't drive it up there. It's not that it couldn't make the trip ... it's the 6 MPG I get. So, we just go up there and enjoy a couple days of walking around.

By the way, guys ... love your 4th Gen Camaros!! Particularly the ones that are modified. My wife says no modifying the '09 until the warranty expires, tho. :(

Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
NateZ

One other thing -- I have a friend named Chris Brannon that I went to high school with that has a knack for getting his hands on Camaros of all years that are either #1 or #2 condition cars and have extremely low miles. For anyone interested, he currently has:

- 1990 IROC-Z with 222 original miles (fully documented)
- 1985 Z/28 with 8,900 original miles (front seats still have factory plastic on them, and has original tires)
- 1992 RS Conv. with 7,800 original miles (25th anniversary car)
- 1997 SS Conv. with with 1,400 original miles (30th anniversary car)
- 1978 Z/28 with 990 original miles (fully documented)

Actually, all of them are documented or he wouldn't be selling them. Prices are reasonable IMO considering what you're getting. His website is trmclassics.com. Just thought I'd pass this along. If this post needs to be moved or deleted, please do so. Some forums don't like this sort of thing because it might be considered an "ad". If so, I completely understand and delete away!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateZ View Post
For anyone interested, he currently has:

- 1990 IROC-Z with 222 original miles (fully documented)
- 1985 Z/28 with 8,900 original miles (front seats still have factory plastic on them, and has original tires)
- 1992 RS Conv. with 7,800 original miles (25th anniversary car)
- 1997 SS Conv. with with 1,400 original miles (30th anniversary car)
- 1978 Z/28 with 990 original miles (fully documented)
Sure, I'll take six of each.

I wish!
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote