Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Eskilachi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Convertible
Horrible sounding 2011 2ss

Hi guys,

Been looking around for an answer to my question for ages now, but have not been able to find anything that resembles my issue.

My issue is that I have a horrible sounding 2011 Camaro 2ss. Itīs flat out ridiculous and has been like this since day 1. I went back to the dealership with my car, they spent a day working on it only to tell me they had no idea what it was, before they came back to me with a pretty weak answer telling me "it was normal because of a spring loaded valve in the exhaust system".
I did not settle with this and have been looking thoroughly around, also listened to every single Camaro Iīve seen on the road to see (or hear) if they have the same sound as mine. Result so far; Nada

The sound can best be described as a rattling, or scraping sound coming from the exhaust. I thought it might have been the AFM, but from what Iīve read and heard from those threads itīs just not the same. To me it sounds like the sound you get when put it in the wrong gear (manual stick).

The sound is there when the car is cold, warm, low speed, medium speed, high speed, accelerating, slowing down, in Park, in Drive and in Manual. Even when standing still (idle)

Last edited by Eskilachi; 05-23-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: video posted
Eskilachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Today this lady with a 2ss vert drove by me and her car had a weird sounding exhaust too. it was stock and sounded like something was defiantly wrong with the car. It wasn't a rumble or anything it was a faint exhaust note almost like something was stuck and it was whistling.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Eskilachi

I found a video on YouTube that is pretty much the exact same sound that I get from my car.

Apparently his mechanics did a better job than mine figuring it out. Not saying I have the same issue, but it sure does sound the same

What do you guys think?

(And just for the record; I have no idea what a left bank o2 sensor gasket is, donīt even know if I have it on my car. So if anyone knows wether or not a 2011 Camaro 2ss has that installed it would be awesome since I can describe it to my dealer and make them fix it.)

Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Hard to hear anything on those vids. maybe its just an exhaust leak.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Eskilachi

Well, I got an answer today after a visit at a dealership. Itīs a spring-loaded valve installed in 2011 and 2012 Camaros to reduce AFM-noise. (Which doesnīt help since it actually makes another noise instead, a noise that is much more annoying if you ask me and makes the car sound like itīs broken). They will not fix it under warranty, in other words they will not admit their mistake.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskilachi View Post
Well, I got an answer today after a visit at a dealership. Itīs a spring-loaded valve installed in 2011 and 2012 Camaros to reduce AFM-noise. (Which doesnīt help since it actually makes another noise instead, a noise that is much more annoying if you ask me and makes the car sound like itīs broken). They will not fix it under warranty, in other words they will not admit their mistake.
Sounds to me like it's time for an after market exhaust system

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Eskilachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
Sounds to me like it's time for an after market exhaust system
Oh yeah! I already got it actually.. lol. I ordered it last week because I was so sick of the rubbish sound I have. But wanted to take it in just to make sure it was the exhaust system that made the sound and not something else. I talked with the service rep for quite some time, and I asked him straight out "Will the sound go away if I change the exhaust system?". And he said that it probably would, but that I had to think about it twice since it could void the warranty. We then had a discussion about warranty in which we pretty much agreed that it would only void the warranty for the exhaust (obviously), but he also said that I might be in trouble if something happened that couldīve been caused by an aftermarket exhaust.

But yeah, Iīm not gonna drive around with that exhaust anymore. If so, I could just as well buy a totaled Lada, because they sound just the same.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Hate the way mine sounds. I can hear it around 40-45 mph. I have flowmasters in the garage waiting to be installed

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Eskilachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Hate the way mine sounds. I can hear it around 40-45 mph. I have flowmasters in the garage waiting to be installed

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice, I got the Borla ATAK cat-back. Have a feeling it might be LOUD, but whatever. Iīd rather have the sound of babies crying than the scraping sound I have now
Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #10
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskilachi View Post
Nice, I got the Borla ATAK cat-back. Have a feeling it might be LOUD, but whatever. Iīd rather have the sound of babies crying than the scraping sound I have now
You might just as well have the neighbors pissed off about the noise too, ya know their already jealous

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Eskilachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
You might just as well have the neighbors pissed off about the noise too, ya know their already jealous
Haha.. Yeah. I live in a kinda noisy neighborhood anyway, so I donīt think I will make too much of a difference My parking is in an underground parking garage, so no one can hear me start it up (unless they are also in the garage obviously).
Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
cactuseater

Drives: .
I had the Flowmaster 40's on the automatic L99 I had, reso delete. You could really hear that nasty AFM kick in after that. Car would sound great until that moment when sounds like it lost everything. Made that car disappear after a few months for the LS3. Wifey drives a 2SS L99, but we're still on the fence with the AFM. It's not as bad on hers as it was on mine when I had it (before the exhaust upgrade) so still thinking about it. Right now, it's major convertible top issues and I will not dump any $$ into it until this is resolved.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2ss, camaro, noise