Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Unhappy ANOTHER heater core gone bad....

2010 SS with 28,000 miles on it. I started getting a slight whiff of what smelled like coolant frorm the defroster early this spring, but since I hardly ever drive the car when its cold enough to use the heat/defrost, I didn't really worry about it too much. Sometime in July I started smelling it very faintly when the ac was on, a couple of other people noticed it and told me I'd better get it looked at. I took the car to the dealer on Monday to have a couple of minor things fixed while still under warranty (latch on my center console broke, as did a tab on the left rear marker light....), I told the service manager about the smell and he agreed that it was probably the heater core. As of Wednesday afternoon my fears were confirmed, and the car will be at the dealer until at least Wednesday because, as everyone else who has had this problem knows, they may have to replace the windshield along with the heater core, so parts take a while to get in. Hopefully my experience is as good as everyone elses seems to have been, knowing that the dasa AND windshield have to be removed from your car can make a guy sick with thoughts of all kinds of rattles and vibrations, but most seem to be just as good as new. I'm also enjoying the Cruze Eco they gave me for a loaner, it only has 1,900 miles on it, and while its no Camaro, it is a very nice car....Especially when you're cruising down the highway at 65 and look down to see that the car is getting 50mpg, CRAZY!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Holy shit you have to remove the windshield to replace the heater core? That's just insane...
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
heater core

My heater core took a dump last summer when my car only had 14,000 miles. My car left with no scratches and the windshield suffered no cracks or rattles. I would make sure your airbag coil is okay after surgery mine had to get replaced after they tore apart the dash. My car is currently running 26,000 miles but my warranty ends January 25th and I'm scared the heater core is going to go again
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
If its true that you have to remove the windshield and dash to replace the heater core I would consider that an engineering F up.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
100% true. There are several threads on here with pictures showing the process. They have to remove everything from the front seats all the way to the windshield.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
My heater core took a dump last summer when my car only had 14,000 miles. My car left with no scratches and the windshield suffered no cracks or rattles. I would make sure your airbag coil is okay after surgery mine had to get replaced after they tore apart the dash. My car is currently running 26,000 miles but my warranty ends January 25th and I'm scared the heater core is going to go again
You can always get your vehicle diagnosed at the dealership to see if you are having any issues with the heater core. Please let us know if this is an available option to you!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
cbass

Drives: .
Is Death Cool rearing its ugly head again?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
You can always get your vehicle diagnosed at the dealership to see if you are having any issues with the heater core. Please let us know if this is an available option to you!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
THANKS! My car still has a really bad gurgling sound coming from the right dash and it just scares me:(
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
If my heater core goes I will just disconect the hoses and do without it. I can't see tearing up the whole car to replace it.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
7thmaro

Drives: 2012 1LTRS
I've replaced a few heater cores in my time but good GOD, I never had to remove the freakin windshield... Next they're going to say you have to take of the trunk lid to change one of your breaklights.
7thmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
THANKS! My car still has a really bad gurgling sound coming from the right dash and it just scares me:(
There is a TSB for that. There is a valve behind the glove box that needs to be replaced. There are several threads on it.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've done three heater cores to date on Camaro's, two SS Camaro's and one base LS.

The only reason the windshield has to come out is because of two bolts at the front of the dash brace/frame, there physically is no way to sneak those bolts out or work around it to get the heater core out, the bolt are like 6 inches long and you have 1 inch or so between the bolt head and the windshield, yes I know total design flaw!! If GM would have made these bolts come out from underneath you wouldn't have to take the windshield out.

You also don't have the take the seats out to get the dash out, who ever did that wasted their time, there plenty of room with the seats in the car to do the job, just slightly tighter to work with them in and you also don't have to take the steering wheel off the column, you can sneak out the entire column assembly, still assembled without damaging anythings.

Oh and "cbass' this has nothing to do with what you call "deathcool" (DEXCOOL). These failing heater cores are just crap, their made cheap with cheap a** materials and they failing. The three cores I did all failed the same way, the welds let go somewhere inside the heater core and the core failed, absolutely nothing to do with DEXCOOL.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I've done three heater cores to date on Camaro's, two SS Camaro's and one base LS.

The only reason the windshield has to come out is because of two bolts at the front of the dash brace/frame, there physically is no way to sneak those bolts out or work around it to get the heater core out, the bolt are like 6 inches long and you have 1 inch or so between the bolt head and the windshield, yes I know total design flaw!! If GM would have made these bolts come out from underneath you wouldn't have to take the windshield out.

You also don't have the take the seats out to get the dash out, who ever did that wasted their time, there plenty of room with the seats in the car to do the job, just slightly tighter to work with them in and you also don't have to take the steering wheel off the column, you can sneak out the entire column assembly, still assembled without damaging anythings.

Oh and "cbass' this has nothing to do with what you call "deathcool" (DEXCOOL). These failing heater cores are just crap, their made cheap with cheap a** materials and they failing. The three cores I did all failed the same way, the welds let go somewhere inside the heater core and the core failed, absolutely nothing to do with DEXCOOL.
Tell it like it is, man.

Where are you at, 'cause I would like you to work on my Camaro probs any time.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I've heard electrolysis is a common cause of heater core failures. This applies to all cars in general, not just the Camaro/GM. Bad electric grounds, poorly installed electronics/aftermarket sound systems, and poor cooling system maintenance can all create electrolysis.
For people who've had heater core failures, do you have any aftermarket electronics or sound systems installed?

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote