Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
We have some members here from up that way, I know. I would hope they would get out before that would happen, lol.

bigearl, I like your post. It's pretty dead on. If gun supporters would concentrate strictly on facts, like Australia, I think our argument would go further. We know what all people should know, gun control only affects those that obey the law anyway. They are called criminals for a reason.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
I am very against-gun control. I have weapons and I agree with the courts decision the other day. However interesting this list is, it's not accurate and it's largely propaganda. I didn't touch the sections I didn't know much about, but I'd be surprised if the Mayan Indians had 1000 guns between all of them prior to 1964. The portion regarding Australia is your real meat here. It's got good statistics in a modern relatively free society with infrastructure, etc. I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I see these kinds of lists from time to time and I think they hurt the cause more than they help it. The people who already agree with the 2nd amendment shout rock on, but the people you may be able to convert to agreeing with you realize it's propaganda and it hurts credibility. The worst examples have far more to do with the control of communication than they do with gun control and bills that give the President the right to shut down the internet at a command are far scarier to me than anything else we can talk about with gun control.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Well, either way I'm saying that the fact that tons of American citizens owned rifles was and still is a huge deterrent to any country wishing to invade. They'd nearly have to fight a war of extermination, as I feel a LOT of American citizens would fight to the death rather than have their freedom taken. :flag2:
That thing is also pretty biased. Canada, England, and Switzerland all have gun control laws in place (I believe I could be wrong I usually am) and I don't see their government going out an exterminating it's citizens.

BTW please don't take this that I'm for gun control.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
WTF? You can have a gun, but you can't take it to a gun range and practice with it. I bet that puts a damper on the gun range business in the local area.
the bigger contradiction is, you can own a gun and keep it within your house....but he is also aiming to make taking the necessary information course impossible within chicago....

the biggest thing about gun control that confuses me is,

Whose vote are the politicians trying to gain by pushing it? and how is that vote more valuable than regular america who supports owning guns.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Well, either way I'm saying that the fact that tons of American citizens owned rifles was and still is a huge deterrent to any country wishing to invade. They'd nearly have to fight a war of extermination, as I feel a LOT of American citizens would fight to the death rather than have their freedom taken. :flag2:
Well the proof is in the pudding on this one. 3 modern examples: Vietnam, Somalia, and Afghanistan. It's relatively easy to invade but it's hard to do anything once you're there unless you're willing to kill everyone you see.

It would be difficult to invade America because we're a superpower. We have excellent infrastructure that allows our best-in-class military to be anywhere they need to be in hours. Take the Japan example from WW2 though, even though only the military was allowed guns, Japan had a first class infrastructure for it's time and could defend on any front. To a modern military, a guy on his porch shooting a 30-06 isn't much more than a nuissance IF you are willing to take out his whole housing development because he inconvenienced you.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
That thing is also pretty biased. Canada, England, and Switzerland all have gun control laws in place (I believe I could be wrong I usually am) and I don't see their government going out an exterminating it's citizens.

BTW please don't take this that I'm for gun control.
Oh, I'm not saying that our government would start killing us off or anything, but I am saying that it leaves ALL the power with the government, which seeing the state of politicians these days (ALL of them from any/all parties) I feel is a very dangerous thing for my freedoms. Once you take away a populations ability to armed resistance, you can control them much more effectively. Not saying that would necessarily happen here, but I don't even want the possibility to pop up.

Quote:
Well the proof is in the pudding on this one. 3 modern examples: Vietnam, Somalia, and Afghanistan. It's relatively easy to invade but it's hard to do anything once you're there unless you're willing to kill everyone you see.

It would be difficult to invade America because we're a superpower. We have excellent infrastructure that allows our best-in-class military to be anywhere they need to be in hours. Take the Japan example from WW2 though, even though only the military was allowed guns, Japan had a first class infrastructure for it's time and could defend on any front. To a modern military, a guy on his porch shooting a 30-06 isn't much more than a nuissance IF you are willing to take out his whole housing development because he inconvenienced you.
I think there would be some fairly well organized militia groups that would band together in the event of a foreign invasion, and these could definitely do some damage. Not nearly as much as the rest of our well-equipped armed forces, but it'd definitely be a bit more than a thorn in the side of the invaders
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
a guy on his porch shooting a 30-06 isn't much more than a nuissance IF you are willing to take out his whole housing development because he inconvenienced you.
The countries or entities that we would most likely be protecting ourselves from, would probably be willing.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The countries or entities that we would most likely be protecting ourselves from, would probably be willing.
I definitely wouldn't doubt it.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Epic facepalm:

Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Yup, we wouldn't be facing some European Old World country where we all the Generals survive and sit down for tea and cakes to discuss the terms of surrender.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My brother (who is way more redneck than myself) has always said you can have his guns, bullets first. Where I live, hunting is a way of life, and we were raised to respect the gun. The problem with some of this gun control is you are talking about taking guns away from the honest people who respect guns, and use them for hunting, target practice, or safety. The ones who we don't want to have the guns (people with bad intentions) are going to get them however they want. Everybody that pushes for gun control needs to take step back and look at it from a different angle. The Second Amendment is there for a reason, and I will defend it until my last day.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
My brother (who is way more redneck than myself) has always said you can have his guns, bullets first. Where I live, hunting is a way of life, and we were raised to respect the gun. The problem with some of this gun control is you are talking about taking guns away from the honest people who respect guns, and use them for hunting, target practice, or safety. The ones who we don't want to have the guns (people with bad intentions) are going to get them however they want. Everybody that pushes for gun control needs to take step back and look at it from a different angle. The Second Amendment is there for a reason, and I will defend it until my last day.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I need to get off my @$$ and finally get my blue card. There's a G17 and a 1911 with my name on them!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote