Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The 6Lxx series of auto trannies are all very similar in design. The difference lies in their power-handling abilities. I don't know the exact relationship, but I know for sure: the higher the last two numbers (50, 80, 90, etc) the tougher they're built (materials, gear thickness in some cases) in order to handle higher torque capacity of the engine they're mated to. The 6L50 can rev to 7000 (see: Cadillac V6 DI), so I have no doubts the 6L80 can, too. After all; it's already revving to ~6600 in the LS3 Vette.

The other thing about this is those numbers are misleading. The first number is the number of gears, and the second is the flywheel horsepower rating minus a decimal place.

But remember, it's heat that kills transmissions. My buddy has a Paxton on the L92 in his GMT900 2500 Suburban. Yes, it's dumb, but he's just a crazy motherfrakker. That has a 4l85e.....and that trans is PISSED. He races the truck, tows with it, and generally drives like an animal, and that 850 crank hp is just...no. He's making maybe 550 at the crank and that is one unhappy trans.

EDIT: It has the tow package so I think it has the trans cooler, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 11-05-2008 at 11:43 PM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Stock, no. Modded? Absolutely. Especially if you're drag racing the car When you start making the kind of power a TT LS7 can make, OD trannys usually don't hold up nearly as well. If I were building a drag car, I'd gut that bad boy out, throw an F1 on there, and drop in a Turbo 400. No need for the extra gears and I'd rather have the stronger 3-spd.

I still want my high rev+handling package Z/28 though. But that's just me.
Gotcha'. Good points too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
There's no way that someone dropping the LS7 in their Camaro is leaving it stock. You would have come too far to just leave it stock. At that point, it's time to go for the gold.
Didn't GM showcase a built 4L65E behind an LS7 F-body Camaro too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The 6Lxx series of auto trannies are all very similar in design. The difference lies in their power-handling abilities. I don't know the exact relationship, but I know for sure: the higher the last two numbers (50, 80, 90, etc) the tougher they're built (materials, gear thickness in some cases) in order to handle higher torque capacity of the engine they're mated to. The 6L50 can rev to 7000 (see: Cadillac V6 DI), so I have no doubts the 6L80 can, too. After all; it's already revving to ~6600 in the LS3 Vette.
You know what? I forgot about that! DUH!!! I just remember reading that 4L60Es can only handle up to around 6000, but I know a guy who runs his up to almost 7000 with a pretty good hit of nitrous also - bone stock tranny... It lived a while until the rear end let go and broke the back of the tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
The other thing about this is those numbers are misleading. The first number is the number of gears, and the second is the flywheel horsepower rating minus a decimal place.

But remember, it's heat that kills transmissions. My buddy has a Paxton on the L92 in his 2500 Suburban. Yes, it's dumb, but he's just a crazy motherfrakker. That has a 4l85e.....and that trans is PISSED. He races the truck, tows with it, and generally drives like an animal, and that 850 crank hp is just...no. He's making maybe 550 at the crank and that is one unhappy trans.
EEEEKKK!!! Shoot; I run 2 24K B&M coolers on my bolt-on '02 just to make sure heat doesn't kill it. She heats up pretty quick though after a run, but not above about 180*. That dude's nuts!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
We've got the blues now with the SS, how about adding a box to check for LS3/auto or LS7/auto, Anybody interested in checking this box ? "COPO"
I would be interested in the box B4C because that is a copo car or a fleet order car. It would be wicked to see a B4C Camaro LS with an LS7, it would be a short pursuit.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Not being able to drive the manual anymore I was looking to match up with my buddys SRT8 425HP Auto. But your right the L99 is going to be just fine, but anytime you read the words detuned, dished pistons,smaller cam kind of gets your head going in the wrong direction. I wanted to add some hp down the road but not sure of the power train. What would be a safe HP upgrade with the L99 ? The heads on the L99 are the same as the LS3 right ? Thanks guys, "Cental Office Pruduction Order" AKA COPO
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
99b4c

A ZL1 or 1LE Camaro with an LS7 would work also.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
99b4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Not being able to drive the manual anymore I was looking to match up with my buddys SRT8 425HP Auto. But your right the L99 is going to be just fine, but anytime you read the words detuned, dished pistons,smaller cam kind of gets your head going in the wrong direction. I wanted to add some hp down the road but not sure of the power train. What would be a safe HP upgrade with the L99 ? The heads on the L99 are the same as the LS3 right ? Thanks guys, "Cental Office Pruduction Order" AKA COPO
I hear ya, everyone wants the LS3 because the L99 is just a new number and has the management. I think any LS motor is better than the 6.1 Hemi, and the Dodge weighs more. A cold air kit and exaust would be the first IMO for upgrades.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #21
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
I hear ya, everyone wants the LS3 because the L99 is just a new number and has the management. I think any LS motor is better than the 6.1 Hemi, and the Dodge weighs more. A cold air kit and exaust would be the first IMO for upgrades.
Yea thats my problem, cant ever leave them alone. I was hoping to see some aftermarket stuff after SEMA show for the L99.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote