Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Forza
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM
Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner White Residue

I've been using Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner on the inside of my 2010 Camaro. I spray it on a clean cloth, and wipe pretty much everything except for the windows. I'm really happy with the way it looks except for this one issue that is starting to bother me.

One day I was in a fast-food drive through and it started to rain as I paid for my food. The rain came into the car and down the door panel. When the rain water dried, I had white residue all over the door(inside), and although I was able to wipe it away, it really bothered me. The white drips were pretty much where the rain came in contact with the cleaner.

Also, if the sun shines directly on my dash, I notice the white residue as well. It's almost like a whitish film and is more visible on the black plastics within the Camaro.

Am I doing something wrong? LOL
Forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
It's been a while since I used that stuff but I think you had to wipe it on, then wipe it off with a water dampened cloth. I don't think you were supposed to just leave it on.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Are you conditioning the panels after cleaning or just cleaning?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It's been a while since I used that stuff but I think you had to wipe it on, then wipe it off with a water dampened cloth. I don't think you were supposed to just leave it on. *
Also, when using the leather Interior cleaner on the actual leather parts, I agitate it (call it bad names.. ) with the boars hair interior brush, then wipe with a damp MF towel. Once that's completed, I treat with the leather with the Adams Leather conditioner.

If you're using the leather cleaner on your vinyl door panels, it's not really meant for those composite parts of your interior. Plus you're probably going through allot more ($$) of the product than you'd like to or should, especially if you're not wiping it off after application.

On the door panels and dash, I'd recommend wiping with a damp MF first to get the big chunks of dust and then dry with a dry MF towel. Then dress using Adams VRT (followed up with a dry MF towel to even it out) instead. If the panels are dirty you can use good old soap and water on the damp MF towel the follow up with the VRT.

My van has white interior and if dirty, I use the Adams Interior cleaner (which I buy by the gallon) on the dirty spots, then proceed with the rest of my interior technique. ( wipe with a damp MF towel, VRT panels and dash, and wipe the same panels with a dry MF towel and VRT. I also Detail Spray in between applications to keep it looking fresh)

Again, just my technique for interiors and it seems work, looks and hold up pretty good on all of my cars.

Hope that helps
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Forza
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Are you conditioning the panels after cleaning or just cleaning?
Cleaning the panels with the Leather & Interior Cleaner. Is that wrong? I thought I could wipe the interior down with this stuff.

I do have the Leather Conditioner as well, but I only use that on the seats.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

We recommend you condition afterwards, not only to avoid an issue with a residue like this, but also to protect the panels. Cleaning alone leaves them dry and unprotected.

If you are only going to clean and not protect/condition then it would be a good idea to wipe the panels down afterwards with a damp towel to remove any cleaner residues. Leather & Interior Cleaner was never really designed to be a stand alone product, its more step 1 in a 2 step process.

Also, you shouldn't need to clean very often. For the mostpart you can just do dust removal with a dry towel then condition to protect, cleaning only when you have skin oils or something on the surface that wiping with a dry towel alone won't fix.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
We recommend you condition afterwards, not only to avoid an issue with a residue like this, but also to protect the panels. Cleaning alone leaves them dry and unprotected.

If you are only going to clean and not protect/condition then it would be a good idea to wipe the panels down afterwards with a damp towel to remove any cleaner residues. Leather & Interior Cleaner was never really designed to be a stand alone product, its more step 1 in a 2 step process.

Also, you shouldn't need to clean very often. For the mostpart you can just do dust removal with a dry towel then condition to protect, cleaning only when you have skin oils or something on the surface that wiping with a dry towel alone won't fix.
So to conditions the panels would one use a product like VRT, or the leather conditioner?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Leather Conditioner is what we recommend. Its not 'leather specific'... can be used on all your interior like your dash, door panels, etc. You can you SVRT if you want, but I find it has too much of a 'sheen' to it. A shine on something like your dash has a couple of problems including causing a reflection/visibility issue on your windshield.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Forza
Account Suspended

Quote:

Yea see I do this often even though my interior is clean. Maybe I have too much Interior "build up" and the water is making it show up.

So it is okay to use the Leather Conditioner on the doors? FYI I'm posting the same questions on the Adam's Forums as well.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
Yea see I do this often even though my interior is clean. Maybe I have too much Interior "build up" and the water is making it show up.

So it is okay to use the Leather Conditioner on the doors? FYI I'm posting the same questions on the Adam's Forums as well.
Yes.

Just dug this out of the back of the closet. Y u no read direkshuns?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Leather Conditioner is what we recommend. Its not 'leather specific'... can be used on all your interior like your dash, door panels, etc. You can you SVRT if you want, but I find it has too much of a 'sheen' to it. A shine on something like your dash has a couple of problems including causing a reflection/visibility issue on your windshield.
Interesting I never knew that, plus I love the smell of the leather conditioner (and dislike a high sheen). How often do you recommned applying it?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Forza
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes.

LOL Cause I'm not Chinese?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Yes.

What man reads directions/instructions? After 40 years, maybe I should start to, lol!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Interesting I never knew that, plus I love the smell of the leather conditioner (and dislike a high sheen). How often do you recommned applying it?
As with any detailing process its generally 'as needed'. Apply a fresh coat anytime the panels begin to look undressed. Depending on the heat and sun exposure your cars sees the time table at which you'll reapply will vary.

For my vehicles personally I do a wipe down of the interior with a microfiber towel after every wash (weekly) I'd say I condition the interior about 1x a month, but my stuff is kept in the garage... something outside full time in the summer will likely need it more often.