Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Protecting Your New Camaro

I was just looking over what everyone wanted to do to mod their 5th gen, but what kinds of security measures are out there, other then what comes standard with the Camaro? And I'm not just talking about alarms, what about fuel cuts offs, or something like that?

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This should take care of those carjackers.
Attached Images

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
This should take care of those carjackers.
yeah, but what would that do to the paint?

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Revelco claims to have never had someone bypass their alarm. It is a series of wires that are rerouted and are all in one color instead of multiple colors. It would take hundreds of combinations to bypass and many, many hours to get through. Again, that was Revelco. That's what I want to put in. It has a plug that you put on your keychain. Get in your car, plug it in and go.

I would also want a pager alarm. So, I know when it goes off and of and when someone is breaking into my car.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
yeah, but what would that do to the paint?
I'd be more interested to see what happens to the moron that tries to carjack you! hahaha!!! Yeah, I'd be worried about the paint as well.

You can install cut off switches. My ex had a cut off button that you step on which was installed in the floorboard under the brake. You couldn't see it under the carpet. And, you coudn't start the vehicle unless it was depressed.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
I used to install alarms and am still not a fan of them.

ravelco does have a nice setup, but I don't want to have to use two keys to drive my vehicle.

With pager alarms, all that will do is alert you in time to see your ride being taken away or get you into an altercation that may end up with you losing your life.

My plan - Beef up the insurance policy and park it smart. If any of my vehicles get stolen I'd much rather not get them back than deal with the years of issues that you often find with a theft/recovery vehicle.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
stonecoldvenom

Drives: 2013 F150
I was thinking of having them put on Lo Jack or a cut off switch like you guys mentioned.
stonecoldvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I had the misfortune of having one of my earlier Camaro's broken into. :( I found the car with everything inside still in place. But, the steering column was completely smashed.

As I spoke with the officer writing the police report, I asked him for his opinions on what steps I could take to protect the car in the future. His advice; I could spend alot of money on an alarm, or, go to 'Pep Boys' and buy a few "alarm stickers", as well as 'The Club'. Now, I know 'The Club' isn't very effective, but his thinking was to make the car appear as unappealing to the person looking to steal it as I could.

His example was, if someone is prowling the lots looking to steal a car, they want to do it quickly, and be gone as quickly as possible. If the come across two cars, one with "alarm notices" and the club, or a similar device, vs. one w/o this, the thief will go for the easier one.

Also, in his experiences, he saw cars hooked up to tow trucks and dragged off, cars winched onto flatbeds, even an engine ripped from the car by a tow truck. BAsically, if the thief wants the car bad enough, they'll get it. :(

So, after my long winded reply (sorry) my plans are to stick with the factory system, and just avoid places where its more prone to be stolen, ie; malls.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #9
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
I am only parking over night in a garage and one hellatious alarm system.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:33 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

If the thief wants the car, they will get it. PERIOD. I, too, have seen cars drug off and onto flatbeds w/ winches. It's easy and takes a good tow driver 30 seconds. If their plan is to steal the veh and hotwire or break the column, a Revelco alarm won't be beat. I don't like two keys either. But, you know when and where two keys might be nice if you know what I mean. You don't have to use them all of the time.

I understand the comment on pager alarms. The outcome depends on the owners actions. Does the owner look outside to the restaurant parking lot to see the thief breaking into the car and does the owner see he is a w/m 25 600/185 w/ brn hair, goatee, wht shirt, blk jeans, blk shoes getting into red Honda Civic 4dr w/ license plate ABC-123 so he can inform police right away with the info and direction of flight? Or, does the owner not call and decide to run out after the supect/s to try to stop them getting shot/stabbed/assaulted in the process? Or, another one yet, what if the owner ran outside and caught the little bastard?

This all depends on the owner. I know if I had a pager alarm, I'd be out the door full speed w/ my .40 in hand ordering them on the groud before I shot their @ss. I usually carry, so a pager would do me some good.

On most of these car burglaries, no one EVER sees anything and we have nothing to work with unless we get lucky on a traffic stop and the driver has certain items that don't belong to him....like a wallet w/ anothers id or golf clubs, power tools, ripped out radios, a guy who has a purse, and the list goes on and on ( these items are usually combined). A good eye can catch certain things on these stops. It happens that we catch the burglars this way.

On a final note. If you all don't want your car to be broken into...it's easy.

BE SMART AND DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OUT IN PLAIN VIEW!!! This INCLUDES the floor boards. Burglars look for opportunity. All it has to be is a bag. Put the stuff in the trunk. Did I say I was seriously looking forward to a trunk earlier??? A lady told me, "I thought putting my purse on the floorboard would be better than putting it on the seat." I was like, you might as well have just laid it back on the seat. They look down there too....
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
MattD

Drives: 05 Ford Mustang GT
I will continue to park smartly and use the .45 for security.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I never leave my car out of my sight for long, usually that limits my places I can go...unfortunately. But that is because it's a classic and probably the easiest in the lot to break into....

I'm sure that if the 2009 is broken into, there will be some kind of sensor to prevent it from being started (push/slide start, remember?)
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
As I spoke with the officer writing the police report, I asked him for his opinions on what steps I could take to protect the car in the future. His advice; I could spend alot of money on an alarm, or, go to 'Pep Boys' and buy a few "alarm stickers", as well as 'The Club'. Now, I know 'The Club' isn't very effective, but his thinking was to make the car appear as unappealing to the person looking to steal it as I could.

His example was, if someone is prowling the lots looking to steal a car, they want to do it quickly, and be gone as quickly as possible. If the come across two cars, one with "alarm notices" and the club, or a similar device, vs. one w/o this, the thief will go for the easier one.
Good advice - except the club. That can be removed in seconds by most thieves.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
OverAnxious

Good post TAG - I agree totally