Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #57
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The ZL1 is the measuring stick of the Camaro right now and was definitely hyped more than it should have been. Combine that with the surprise 13 GT500 announcement and folks are going to talk. The drag strip times are a half second slower (or more) than expected and it was released in the summer so times were even worse. I for one expected easy 11's when I ordered this car, but even with drag radials it's tough to get there in a manual.

On the flip side as time goes on this car has a lot of details that go mostly un-noticed or laughed about such as the ride quality. We've seen how impressive it is on the road track and pretty much hung our hat on that, so you'll hear jealous comments in this area. All I have to say is damn this car does ride nice (1st thing I noticed after the SS) and I can stiffen it up at the touch of a button.

The option to get an auto trans is pretty sweet too. Neither GT500 nor Z/28 offers this. Add just a few mods to combat heat soak and up the boost and the Auto ZL1 is a beast on the drag strip without having to swap out a whole host of drivetrain weak links. The car has gone 9's without a single mod from transmission back.

I also feel this thread is about a year late and most of the hate has died down and the ZL1 has found it's place in the muscle car lineup. What you see now is just fanboy rhetoric which will never die.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #58
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The ZL1 is the measuring stick of the Camaro right now and was definitely hyped more than it should have been. Combine that with the surprise 13 GT500 announcement and folks are going to talk. The drag strip times are a half second slower (or more) than expected and it was released in the summer so times were even worse. I for one expected easy 11's when I ordered this car, but even with drag radials it's tough to get there in a manual.

On the flip side as time goes on this car has a lot of details that go mostly un-noticed or laughed about such as the ride quality. We've seen how impressive it is on the road track and pretty much hung our hat on that, so you'll hear jealous comments in this area. All I have to say is damn this car does ride nice (1st thing I noticed after the SS) and I can stiffen it up at the touch of a button.

The option to get an auto trans is pretty sweet too. Neither GT500 nor Z/28 offers this. Add just a few mods to combat heat soak and up the boost and the Auto ZL1 is a beast on the drag strip without having to swap out a whole host of drivetrain weak links. The car has gone 9's without a single mod from transmission back.

I also feel this thread is about a year late and most of the hate has died down and the ZL1 has found it's place in the muscle car lineup. What you see now is just fanboy rhetoric which will never die.
Well said. I do think the OP was referring to the hate within the Camaro brand itself. You're right about the ZL1 being the bench mark for the Camaro right now which will change once the Z/28 is out. There is a ZL1 vs C7 Z51 thread on the Corvette forum comparing performance numbers.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #59
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Well said. I do think the OP was referring to the hate within the Camaro brand itself. You're right about the ZL1 being the bench mark for the Camaro right now which will change once the Z/28 is out. There is a ZL1 vs C7 Z51 thread on the Corvette forum comparing performance numbers.
LOL.. you made me go look... The OP did specify ZL1 and this is the ZL1 section.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #60
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
I've been on so many sites and seen so many negative comments about the ZL1. Sure the car is heavy. Sure, it isn't as quick as it should be. If the GT500 hadn't come out with it's super engine...would there be as much hate? Every time I see a ZL1 video on youtube, I see comments like "it's ok, but the mustang would kill it". The thing I don't understand is why so many people who own 5th gen SS's or 1le's, lash out at the ZL1s. Aren't we all in the same family?

The ZL1 was designed to be a great all around car. I see nothing wrong with an 11 second capable street car that's comfortable to, and from the track.

I, for one, am proud of my purchase. The attention it gets proves that it isn't as bad as people think it is.
In a nutshell it's jealousy to a certain extent. What I've noticed is owning a ZL1 your automatically put in a category as being "cocky, ignorant" or just plain ol "he thinks he's sh*t hot". I've owned a SS, a 1LE and now a ZL1 and I never received hate or whatever word youd like to use with any other trim but the ZL1. But hey who cares, life is too damn short to sweat the small stuff.

People expected the ZL1 to be so much more and then right when the Z/28 was released the bashing commenced. Each trim has a purpose. For many members what they own it serves a purpose to them and that purpose is fulfilled. For me it's what I have, I'm content, satisfied and blessed. I love every single trim and respect it. I may not agree with everything but I respect the brand. ZL1 isn't a drag strip car yet alot of people want it to be. You'll always see the ZL1 going against heavily modified vehicles and lose. Alot of people then bash it because they think its slow, lol. I find that funny too.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 06-29-2013 at 09:15 AM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #61
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
I've been on so many sites and seen so many negative comments about the ZL1. Sure the car is heavy. Sure, it isn't as quick as it should be. If the GT500 hadn't come out with it's super engine...would there be as much hate? Every time I see a ZL1 video on youtube, I see comments like "it's ok, but the mustang would kill it". The thing I don't understand is why so many people who own 5th gen SS's or 1le's, lash out at the ZL1s. Aren't we all in the same family?

The ZL1 was designed to be a great all around car. I see nothing wrong with an 11 second capable street car that's comfortable to, and from the track.

I, for one, am proud of my purchase. The attention it gets proves that it isn't as bad as people think it is.
I'll sum it up for you.

Haters gonna hate.

It's a fact of life ZL1's are awesome cars, don't let anyone tell you different.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #62
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
People see 580hp, but don't realize its also 300+ pounds heavier. So they expect it to be easily into the 11's stock. This is the problem plaguing all 5th gen camaros...weight.

They did better with the Z28, added a lot of power and grip but not any added weight over a stock SS.

GM stated there goal is to reduce weight by 15% in the 6th gens.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #63
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
The 662HP Shelby is an overpowered knuckle-dragging beast. Matt Farah included it his list of "10 cars that want to kill you". He expressed amazement that Ford's lawyers allowed them to produce such a powerful car with an ancient solid axle chassis and lousy brakes. It's so crude, unsophisticated and dangerous that he said it was basically "a motor dragging around a hunk of metal". Ouch. Or as one magazine put it, the ZL1 is like riding a racehorse, while the GT500 is like riding a gorilla. As they concluded, giving the ZL1 the comparison win, "Which would you rather ride?"
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #64
islander033
SLOBRA1

Drives: GT500/Cruze/DMax/Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnman View Post
.... Or as one magazine put it, the ZL1 is like riding a racehorse, while the GT500 is like riding a gorilla. As they concluded, giving the ZL1 the comparison win, "Which would you rather ride?"
Both are great pony cars in their own distinct ways.

I'd happily ride the "racehorse", but I'm not done with my "gorilla".
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #65
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
ZL1 isn't a drag strip car yet alot of people want it to be.
This I disagree with. In fact the zl1 was the first 5th gen chevy came out with that is strong enough out of the box to beat at the drag strip and not break. a cast iron 9.9" rear and giant axles are custom made for the strip. It would have better for the road course with a smaller alumium rear and lighter also, but more delicate. I look at this car as the best all purpose car I've ever seen. Right at home on the drag strip, autocross or roadcourse, or daily driving. I think people put a little to much faith in taking it to the track on stock f1 tires, setting launch control, and expecting a hero time, then are dissappointed. put on any sticky tire, turn off the nannies, and let er rip!

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #66
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
Both are great pony cars in their own distinct ways.

I'd happily ride the "racehorse", but I'm not done with my "gorilla".
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #67
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Where did everybody go?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #68
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I love the ZL1. Any car can be made to go fast in a straight line.

It's a lot harder to do what they have done with the handling. Also, considering most reviewers talked about the brake fade of the Mustang after only a lap was pretty telling as well.

And, the ZL1 just looks a lot better than the Mustang.

If it weren't for the new Corvette, this would hands down be my next (non daily driver) car. I am really looking closely at the Stingray though...damn that's a fine Chevy!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #69
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I love the ZL1. Any car can be made to go fast in a straight line.

It's a lot harder to do what they have done with the handling. Also, considering most reviewers talked about the brake fade of the Mustang after only a lap was pretty telling as well.

And, the ZL1 just looks a lot better than the Mustang.

If it weren't for the new Corvette, this would hands down be my next (non daily driver) car. I am really looking closely at the Stingray though...damn that's a fine Chevy!
I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. I hope I hate it, lol.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #70
jhnorco

Drives: 1967 camaro, 2013 ZL1 convertable
I love mine a lot. It is one of the most fun cars to drive I have ever owned!!
jhnorco is offline   Reply With Quote