Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Angry Update map database for the MyLink GPS

This is absurd! I have a '13 that has the database of 2012. They did not update the database last year. So, it is 2 years out of date and I have had several problems because of it. I called a dealer today to find out if an update is available and how much is it. They told me that it is available and the price is $288! Can you believe that; $288! Next I called the GM Navigation Systems Office (866-351-7608) and was told that there is not a database update available yet! So, what is the truth here? Is an update available or not? You can buy a Garmin or similar system for much less than $288, but I'd rather use the built-in one and not have something up on the dash. How about it GM; when will an update be available and how can you justify the price?
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
This is absurd! I have a '13 that has the database of 2012. They did not update the database last year. So, it is 2 years out of date and I have had several problems because of it. I called a dealer today to find out if an update is available and how much is it. They told me that it is available and the price is $288! Can you believe that; $288! Next I called the GM Navigation Systems Office (866-351-7608) and was told that there is not a database update available yet! So, what is the truth here? Is an update available or not? You can buy a Garmin or similar system for much less than $288, but I'd rather use the built-in one and not have something up on the dash. How about it GM; when will an update be available and how can you justify the price?
Hi! There is an easy way around that but you'll need to learn simple programming.

1. Go to https://developer.gm.com/
2. Make an account
3. Obtain an application key
4. Go to https://developer.here.com/
5. Overlay your MyLink app with HERE Map by Nokia
6. Publish and add to your MyLink

Nokia offers free map update, you'll most likely need to download the map manually and copy it a USB for use though. Or you can build your app to accept map update through Bluetooth from your phone or laptop.

Alternative:

Get Bringo.

https://gigaom.com/2012/09/07/chevy-...to-navigation/
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Thanks for the suggestions, VeeGeeTea. I am an EE with over 20 years of programming instrumentation systems using PC's or embedded processors and either Pascall or C. But, I don't think I could handle what your suggestions are. There are just so many things about the procedures that I don't understan and don't know where to get the answers.

Things like; where do I get the Nokia maps? How do I overlay the current maps? And so on. If you could direct me to someplace where there is more detailed information, I may be able to try it.

Again, thanks for responding.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
As of 10-19-2014 the developer site is blocked to everyone except their "partners".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
Hi! There is an easy way around that but you'll need to learn simple programming.

1. Go to https://developer.gm.com/
2. Make an account
3. Obtain an application key
4. Go to https://developer.here.com/
5. Overlay your MyLink app with HERE Map by Nokia
6. Publish and add to your MyLink

Nokia offers free map update, you'll most likely need to download the map manually and copy it a USB for use though. Or you can build your app to accept map update through Bluetooth from your phone or laptop.

Alternative:

Get Bringo.

https://gigaom.com/2012/09/07/chevy-...to-navigation/
Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
You know this is really ridiculous, it is truly beginning to seem as thought Chevy/ GM could care less about providing navigation map updates to it customers. I could understand them taking this stance more so if Nav came standard in the vehicle, but it is an option that everyone have forked out an additional $750.00 approximately and in many areas it is worthless. I am going to follow up next week with senior management to get their stance on this and if they are not going to support an options such as this with updates at least for seven years, then everyone should be refunded at the least.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
You know this is really ridiculous, it is truly beginning to seem as thought Chevy/ GM could care less about providing navigation map updates to it customers. I could understand them taking this stance more so if Nav came standard in the vehicle, but it is an option that everyone have forked out an additional $750.00 approximately and in many areas it is worthless. I am going to follow up next week with senior management to get their stance on this and if they are not going to support an options such as this with updates at least for seven years, then everyone should be refunded at the least.
What "many areas" are you referring to? The navi maps work just fine for me in California and Nevada....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
This is pretty standard, I don't know what you're on about.

Every dealership I've ever worked for has charged for their navigation maps. Chevy, Lexus, Toyota, BMW.... They all charge for map updates. New updates are released every year.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
This is pretty standard, I don't know what you're on about.

Every dealership I've ever worked for has charged for their navigation maps. Chevy, Lexus, Toyota, BMW.... They all charge for map updates. New updates are released every year.
I am aware that map updates are not free that's not the problem. 2013 cars still cannot get a current nav update. You are correct the norm is every year for most manufactures, BMW usually every first quarter. We are well over 2 years on the 13 Mylink vehicles. Throughout my different travels on the east coast there have been many roads changed for over 2 to 3 years now. No one can give a definite answer on an update, also as I had stated a Nav Mylink unit is an additional $750.00 more, so yes map updates should be available for purchase every year just as the other manufactures you mention. That's all I am saying if the equipment is their as an option and we pay for it, keep it current like all the others and give us that option.

Last edited by Dega Man; 11-08-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
I'd be happy if they just managed to fix all of the horrible bugs in the system. Worst stability of any system I have ever used. GM should be embarrassed.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
ametallichick
Met4Life \m/\m/

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated I am with MyLink. I have my car in service right now for a different issue and I told them to check the navigation and they say it seems to be working fine. I rarely use it but I have used it 3 times in the last 2 months and every time, it takes me on a wild goose chase. The last time, I was sitting in front of my destination after finding it on my own and it asked me if I wanted to continue my navigation. REALLY???? The dealership acts like there is no issue and the guy says (I use my phone). Well, I did not pay $$$ for a navigation so I could use my phone while driving!!!

And, btw, these are not new locations I am trying to navigate to. They are businesses and homes that have been around for years.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
where do I get the Nokia maps? How do I overlay the current maps?
You don't have to worry about that. just make a call for your current location and make another call for your destination.

The HERE map will handle the rest, overlay, direction, etc.