Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #1
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Looking to buy a L99, but is it slow?

Hey guys,

So I have a 2008 Mercedes C350 that's in great shape, but it's slow and I want a V8, either a 5.0 Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. I test drove a 2010 L99 a few days ago and I was completely surprised at how slow it felt. I jumped back in my Mercedes, hit the gas and my head/body got pushed back a little. When I drove the L99 it felt like it was just leisurely getting up to speed.

Now, when I drove a manual 5.0 Mustang and hit the gas the car felt like a rocket ship. Can the L99 feel like that? I know they need tunes, but am I going to need to put thousands into the car to make it feel like a manual Mustang?

I also did some sleuthing and it appears there is a Sport mode for these cars, and I have no idea if the car I drove was in that or not, but would that make enough of a difference?

- Totally not trying to start a Mustang v. Camaro battle, but these are just my observations.

Last edited by LCPLPunk; 07-13-2016 at 01:21 AM. Reason: updated
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 AM   #2
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
It's your money, Buy that rocket ship if that is what you want. Might have been the car the L99's are not slow.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:28 AM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Why didn't u test drive a manual Camaro?
Old 07-13-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
Todd808
ANTI-MATTER Hawaii band

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS, manual,Kooks,
Yup. Drive an LS3 manual. It's more of s smooth power. All else things equal. The Camaro looks so much better than a mustang. Especially with a low stance and aftermarket wheels.
2010 SS LS3 6speed. Supercharged, kooks Lt heeders, 3" exhaust,monster clutch, 1000 hp axles, peeders drop springs, hurst short throw, borla. Hotchkins race pack, all lights blacked out. 1.2" front 1.5" rear drop
Todd808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
A lot of factors can cause a L99 to feel slow, but they definitely are not slow cars. First and almost guaranteed reason it felt slow is because the dealer probably put low octane fuel in the car causing it to run on the lower octane tables. The "fuse pull" technique will solve that issue after running all of the low octane fuel out of the tank. Second, like you suggested a tune can and will do wonders even for an otherwise stock L99. GM puts so much torque management in the cars from the factory that it is really overkill. With a tune can no tune on my buddy's LS3 Camaro, similarly modded, I can pull him regularly. IMO it is all what you like, if you are going to be happier with a manual vs auto then you might go for the mustang or look for a manual Camaro. I love mine, and sport/manual mode with the paddle shifters is fun when I want to play with the convenience of automatic when stuck in traffic.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Go try and LS3 manual
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The l99 feels a little tame but it's not slow.....the manual "feels" faster because it's a manual. Take one or both for a test drive.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #8
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Can't compare an auto with manual. simple as that.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Is the L99 slow? Check out the fast list and that should answer your question. Stock for stock, the L99 is sluggish. Torque management has a lot to do with that. but once modified its a slightly different story.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #10
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Doesn't have the acceleration or speed of my Corvette; but, as other's have said, it is definitely not slow.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
failshift
Banned

Looking to buy a L99, but is it slow?

Short answer, yes

But so is a ls3 for that matter
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
AllBlackSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Getting the L99 transmission tuned really wakes it up!!!
AllBlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #13
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
A lot of factors can cause a L99 to feel slow, but they definitely are not slow cars. First and almost guaranteed reason it felt slow is because the dealer probably put low octane fuel in the car causing it to run on the lower octane tables. The "fuse pull" technique will solve that issue after running all of the low octane fuel out of the tank. Second, like you suggested a tune can and will do wonders even for an otherwise stock L99. GM puts so much torque management in the cars from the factory that it is really overkill. With a tune can no tune on my buddy's LS3 Camaro, similarly modded, I can pull him regularly. IMO it is all what you like, if you are going to be happier with a manual vs auto then you might go for the mustang or look for a manual Camaro. I love mine, and sport/manual mode with the paddle shifters is fun when I want to play with the convenience of automatic when stuck in traffic.
the low fuel table is the worst!!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
First and almost guaranteed reason it felt slow is because the dealer probably put low octane fuel in the car causing it to run on the lower octane tables. The "fuse pull" technique will solve that issue after running all of the low octane fuel out of the tank.
This was my first thought. These V8s were made to run on 91-93 octane and dealers just don't spend the money when they put gas in them. They will put the cheapest (lowest octane) gas they can find. It REALLY effects how the car runs.

And yes.... if you slap it in Sport Mode you will feel a significant difference. Also the Active Fuel Management (AFM) feature found in the autos kills 4 cylinders and really pigs the car out if you're just cruising. Not to mention it sounds like crap.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote