Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Dustin.N

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
After install of Z28 CAI car will not start

I installed the Z28 cold air intake. Went to start the car. It trys to start then dies. It will collapse the duct in between the air box and throttle body. I have to take the hose off to the PCV to remove the suction.

I disconnected the battery and tried again. Same thing happened.

Do I need to leave the battery disconnected for longer or are there any fuses I need to pull?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dustin.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
ndame09

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LE 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin.N View Post
I installed the Z28 cold air intake. Went to start the car. It trys to start then dies. It will collapse the duct in between the air box and throttle body. I have to take the hose off to the PCV to remove the suction.

I disconnected the battery and tried again. Same thing happened.

Do I need to leave the battery disconnected for longer or are there any fuses I need to pull?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Between airbox and Throttle means that the airbox is not able to pull in air from outside... Not too sure how the Z28 cai works, but check the opening.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Dustin.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndame09 View Post
Between airbox and Throttle means that the airbox is not able to pull in air from outside... Not too sure how the Z28 cai works, but check the opening.

You are correct. There is a cap on the airbox outlet. I can't remember if the duct was installed already or I just missed the cap when I put it on.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
WINGNUT1

Drives: 2013 SW 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndame09 View Post

I installed mine not long ago and haven’t had any issues. I know there was a red cap on one end of the intake that must be removed before installing. If you weren’t specifically looking for it I can see how someone might install it without removing it bc it’s not referenced in the instruction guide at all...that might cause a suction issue. That’s the only thing I can think of though. Good luck!
‘13 1LE 2SS/RS W/ NPP: Billet Aluminum Racing Pedals from SRPracing / ZL1 Rocket Panels from Gary’s Customs / LED Fog Lights from Diode Dynamics / Matte Black Bow Ties from Summit Racing / BMR 1” Lowering Springs from JDP Motorsports / XPEL Paint Protection from Music City Window Tint / GM Performance Z/28 CAI from Summit Racing
WINGNUT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
WINGNUT1

Drives: 2013 SW 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin.N View Post
You are correct. There is a cap on the airbox outlet. I can't remember if the duct was installed already or I just missed the cap when I put it on.

How’s that for timing! I’ve been really happy with mine! Enjoy!!
‘13 1LE 2SS/RS W/ NPP: Billet Aluminum Racing Pedals from SRPracing / ZL1 Rocket Panels from Gary’s Customs / LED Fog Lights from Diode Dynamics / Matte Black Bow Ties from Summit Racing / BMR 1” Lowering Springs from JDP Motorsports / XPEL Paint Protection from Music City Window Tint / GM Performance Z/28 CAI from Summit Racing
WINGNUT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Dustin, you are not the first that missed removing that intake cap. There is another post in this forum where the ribbed hose collapsed and he was also stumped. That cone Z28 filter is sharp looking with the Z28 logo stamped in its end cap. Replacements are available for about $60, the oem z28 is an acdelco filter I got mine on amazon. (bought my intake from someone parting out his and he did not have the filter) They are a fraction of msrp there. I keep the filter clean by using compressor air hose and low pressure blast from inside the cone outward in reverse direction on occassion.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
Dustin.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Dustin, you are not the first that missed removing that intake cap. There is another post in this forum where the ribbed hose collapsed and he was also stumped. That cone Z28 filter is sharp looking with the Z28 logo stamped in its end cap. Replacements are available for about $60, the oem z28 is an acdelco filter I got mine on amazon. (bought my intake from someone parting out his and he did not have the filter) They are a fraction of msrp there. I keep the filter clean by using compressor air hose and low pressure blast from inside the cone outward in reverse direction on occassion.
Thanks for the information about the replacements.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE